Tyre life span

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Must be 100s of ex race drivers around with so many being able to feel the performance of a tire through the seat of their pants. :cool: ;) Most drivers never push their cars to the point where that extra 'grippiness' is going to make any difference (or shouldn't be when driving on public roads).

You don't win races if you find the grips limit, we drove on the edge

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
25k miles on a set of tyres?
I've never had a car that long to even do 25k miles in it;)

The rears used to last around 5-7k miles in the E55.

MinionBob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Viano - 2012 - OM651 Engine - 2.2
The answer is...look at the treadwear index on your tyres! the higher the number, the longer the tyres last!

'How' long is virtually impossible to answer cos it depends...

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
The answer is...look at the treadwear index on your tyres! the higher the number, the longer the tyres last!

'How' long is virtually impossible to answer cos it depends...

That sure is. On my current MB the car has done 14,000 miles and there is still at least 5mm left on them. When we were in our youth we were very lucky if we got 5,000 out of a set of G800's on our Mini's. Mind you if I remember correctly they were only £10 a corner :rolleyes: :D

E250_MK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 2012 2.1L Diesel
Hello all, this is a great forum, have just joined. I have an E250 2012 diesel.

I have a pair of tyres on the rear that have done 12k miles and they are now down to 2mm in the centre and 4.5mm on the outsides. At 2mm, they are ready to be replaced. 12k miles seems a very short distance to me.

The tyre centre at Costco said that this was almost certainly due to tyre pressure being too high. We checked, and the tyre pressure was fine at 34psi (the fuel flap states 35psi for my driving load and tyre size). Costco fitted the tyres and I had not done anything to the tyre pressure since. After measuring the tyre pressure, Costco said it must be due to the tracking. I went to a local garage where they said the tracking was "spot on" (Toe in/out was 0 for front left and right, and was +7 for rear left and right).

They are both Mitchelin Pilot Sport 4 265/35/R18 97Y.

On the front, I have Mitchelin Pilot Sport 4 245/40/R18 97Y which have done 8k miles. Their tread depth is fine at 6.5mm to 7mm across the tyre.

Is 12k miles a typical life for these tyres in my car, or does this indicate something wrong?

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
If the pressures are right for the load and the tracking/alignment is right then its just the tyre I say.

3mm is best to change. 2mm is cutting it fine.

Its good practice to check tyre pressures every few weeks to identify any leaks. If bold across the middle - over inflated.

All tyre places have these pretty pics in the wall showing cause of certain wear.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

I have a pair of tyres on the rear that have done 12k miles and they are now down to 2mm in the centre and 4.5mm on the outsides. At 2mm, they are ready to be replaced. 12k miles seems a very short distance to me.

The tyre centre at Costco said that this was almost certainly due to tyre pressure being too high. We checked, and the tyre pressure was fine at 34psi (the fuel flap states 35psi for my driving load and tyre size). Costco fitted the tyres and I had not done anything to the tyre pressure since. After measuring the tyre pressure, Costco said it must be due to the tracking. I went to a local garage where they said the tracking was "spot on" (Toe in/out was 0 for front left and right, and was +7 for rear left and right).

On the front, I have Mitchelin Pilot Sport 4 245/40/R18 97Y which have done 8k miles. Their tread depth is fine at 6.5mm to 7mm across the tyre.

Is 12k miles a typical life for these tyres in my car, or does this indicate something wrong?

Does point to overinflation at some point not necessarily when you measured it.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
There are quite a few tyre tests videos about some at tyre manufacturers test centers which I caution but generally speaking the same tyre manufacturers come out well.

It really is a case of what do you want.

Strange Chinese tyres on your super car does seem a money saving madness.

I was looking at tyres whilst waiting in my car last week and you do see some worn out ditch finders on some hurtling machines.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
There are quite a few tyre tests videos about some at tyre manufacturers test centers which I caution but generally speaking the same tyre manufacturers come out well.

It really is a case of what do you want.

Strange Chinese tyres on your super car does seem a money saving madness.

I was looking at tyres whilst waiting in my car last week and you do see some worn out ditch finders on some hurtling machines.
As a young guy looking at a fancy car my dad said:

“You might be able to stretch your finances to purchase that car but will you be able to afford maintain it. Brakes, tyres, servicing etc”.

I didn’t buy it.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Easy to buy costly to maintain and the maintenenace is often overlooked or sadly skimped on.

Makes me chuckle.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

Hi and welcome to the form :) As Mioba has said it would seem that you have been running these overinflated, something you will need to keep an eye on :)

Last edited:

E250_MK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 2012 2.1L Diesel
Does point to overinflation at some point not necessarily when you measured it.
Thanks for the reply.
On the day that Costco fitted the tyres at 35psi the temperature was about 10°-12°. When they checked the tyres yesterday afternoon the temperature was about 10°, and the pressure was 34psi, slightly lower which is what you'd expect. I have not done anything to the tyre pressure during the time. From Oct to today, over winter, I can't see the temperature being any higher than that except for short durations. Even if we assume I had done all the 12k in, say, 15° heat, this would only cause the pressure to increase by 1psi (according to Continental's website). I find it difficult to believe that a 1psi difference would cause a tyre to wear so quickly.

The AA say that as a general guide, a rear set of tyres should last around 40k miles.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Several years back it was alarming to me but common place place now. Seriously expensive stuff, usually on tick and people can’t even afford budget tyres and drive back out on good as bald tyres!, seen it on everything from the likes of BMW 1 series through to Range Rover SVRs. Usually younger folks seem to feel the pinch more because they don’t realise how much tyres cost for their Acura etc running 18/19 rims. Most folks can’t stomach the cost of tyres and I’ve seen on occasions where a a recovery service brings someone in after a puncture, the cost of one replacement has them in go white trying to work out how they will survive for the next month.

We have a few Porsche 911 owners who pop on once a month to see if we have any good used tyres and I’d not, then put their name on a pair or set as abs when they come in.

A Peugeot RCZ was another vivid memory where the tyre size was very unique and almost the most limited choice I’ve ever seen. I had to turn the screen around and show the customer I was making it up and fobbing them off.

The next time you’re stood at the lights, just look around at the tyres of most cars! If I was a copper I’d make a killing booking people for illegal tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MinionBob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

To answer your question, I think that 12k for 'sports-orientated' rear tyres on a RWD car is about right.

I have also found that it is not always possible to get perfectly even tyre wear on tyres, even with alignment being spot on. I suspect that this is due to the fact that mfrs design camber, caster, toe etc primarily for vehicle handing characteristics and not even tyre wear. This kinda makes sense because having a car that handles well is a much higher priority than one that wears its tyres evenly.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Mercedes recommended pressures always err on the high side and in general 2-4 psi lower will give better tyre wear and comfort.

Anyone who says wear in the centre of the tyre tread is down to tracking is talking out their Arris. There is no way that could be true.

12k miles is probably not far off for rear tyres depending on brand, car, driving style and usage.
Cars used on motorways will get less tyre wear than cars used in towns or on country lanes.
Gentle use of brake and accelerator will give better life than late braking and traffic light starts (but where's the fun in that?). Heavily laden cars will wear tyres faster than lightly laden ones.
Lots of variables.

E250_MK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 2012 2.1L Diesel
To answer your question, I think that 12k for 'sports-orientated' rear tyres on a RWD car is about right.

I have also found that it is not always possible to get perfectly even tyre wear on tyres, even with alignment being spot on. I suspect that this is due to the fact that mfrs design camber, caster, toe etc primarily for vehicle handing characteristics and not even tyre wear. This kinda makes sense because having a car that handles well is a much higher priority than one that wears its tyres evenly.
Thanks for the reply.
I called Mercedes and they say 10k to 15k is about right, so it seem 12k is reaonable. I'm just a little surprised as this seems quite low from previous experience (with other cars admittedly).

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not sure LK, I have always found that sticking to MB pressures works best. Maybe just placebo or depends also to an extent on what the tyres are lugging about (ie the car in question)

And sure a tyre with more wear in the centre is over inflated, period.

This is a popcorn thread, been covered to death for centuries. I will observe....

MinionBob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I’ve seen on occasions where a a recovery service brings someone in after a puncture, the cost of one replacement has them in go white trying to work out how they will survive for the next month.
Funny to me how some people live thier life; buy a 30k car that they cannot afford to run, or run on the tightest of tight budgets..

Top Bottom