Oil / Fluid extractors

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
I finally took the plunge and got around to raising the rafters to allow the use of the ramp. 8 of 8"x2" and 6 of 6"x2" timbers were bolted into place using over 150 bolts to strengthen the trusses before cutting them.

I decided that the 1946 Humber Sports Bike could be on display
P1030554.jpg

I now need to paint the wall behind the bike
P1030555.jpg

P1030556.jpg

The picture doesn't really show how much has been removed but I have raised the rafter height by over 1 metre
P1030557.jpg

This was before
P1030299.jpg

This is after and there is still about 2' above the Range Rover.
My only worry is that the Viano will not be able to go full height because of the slope on the roof. I will try it at the weekend
P1030558.jpg

Jobs still to do:-

Sort out the floor, possibly diamond polish it to give it a reasonable finish and stop the dust. Plumb in the air-con/heater unit. I did get a quote to have the air-con done and the chap wanted £600 just to supply and connect up 2 pipes and wire it in.......It can wait

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
nice, i love jobs like that! you obviously didn't have an engineer specify the works, the foundations would need underpinning to support the steel you would have needed ;).

the only issue i see is that you have introduced a bending moment into the spindly rafters, and consequently they will try to spread the walls supporting them. that said i doubt very much it will ever be an issue, enjoy your new found head height!

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice, i love jobs like that! you obviously didn't have an engineer specify the works, the foundations would need underpinning to support the steel you would have needed ;).

the only issue i see is that you have introduced a bending moment into the spindly rafters, and consequently they will try to spread the walls supporting them. that said i doubt very much it will ever be an issue, enjoy your new found head height!

My architect drew me a sketch of what was required before removing any of the trusses. According to him it was an easy job which is ok to say if you're doing it every day. I used heavier supports than what was specified by the architect. I fitted double trusses at both sides of the ramp and they now take the extra strain. It was all forward planning, hard work and lots of worrying but it has finally paid off. The base of the trusses are now tied into the double trusses at each side with 6 of 8"x2" timbers so there will be no spreading at the walls. When cutting the trusses I was terrified to say the least, I took all the vehicles out the garage just incase there was an accident. I expected to hear timbers moving, but not a sound, except the noise of my heart pounding....

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The base of the trusses are now tied into the double trusses at each side with 6 of 8"x2" timbers so there will be no spreading at the walls....

ok, yes that makes sense. from the pictures they just look like 8"x2" on their own. plenty of strength there then - i never doubted it ;).

still a good job you asked an architect and not a structural engineer though, they have an obsession with steel that knows no bounds, almost fetishistic.

architects specify, engineers over-specify, and charge accordingly :(

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Alex, At the wall ends there is an 8x2 lying flat and screwed onto the truss ends. A 6x2 vertical then ties the diagonal from the roof and the horizontal together. Two 8x2s are screwed into the verticals and as I said earlier they are all tied into the double trusses at each side of the ramp.
You should be able to see in the bottom 3 pictures below how it was achieved.

I decided to try the other vehicles on the ramp today and check if I had made the correct calculations.

The S-Class is slightly longer than the Viano but because the height of the S-Class is lower I wasn't too concerned. It took a little rolling back and forward on the ramp to get the best position before lifting the car. I'm pleased to say the S-Class is a good fit length wise and more than enough space above.

P1030560.jpg

The Viano was my biggest concern being almost as long as the S-Class but a lot taller. The slope of the roof was going to be the bugbear as it restricts the height and I had my doubts as to whether the Viano could be raised high enough to work under. With the front wheels at the far end of the ramp I slowly raised the ramp, stopping every few inches to check when I thought it was getting close to the roof. What a relief it was when I could eventually stand under the vehicle and still had space to raise it another 6 inches.

P1030564.jpg

This is the space at the front
P1030566.jpg

and the rear
P1030567.jpg

Finally there is still another 6" or so that I could lift the Viano
P1030568.jpg

So my hard work and calculations paid off. It would have been easier if I had stuck to the original plan and had a pit built, but that has another load of problems and I think I made the right choice.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
... What a relief it was when I could eventually stand under the vehicle and still had space to raise it another 6 inches.

P1030564.jpg
You can stand under there? :shock:

Not that I'm jealous of your garage or anything like that.... :D

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm 5'8" and can stand under the Viano where it is on the ramp. The picture doesn't really show it properly

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks for that, i appreciate the detail. structure has always fascinated me, i can see strengths/weaknesses in structure that often others cannot. the flat 8"x2" is actually very important in stopping the spread at the rafter feet. a very neat job indeed and i am not surprised at all that nothing moved!

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
and sorry to get off the off topic, but....

i used a vacuum extractor to remove the oil from a 271 engine in a 171 last monday. i also removed the sump plug to see if any further oil could be drained - not a single drop was to be had!! so subject to tests on other engine types i am now a convert and believer.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The 'flat 8x2 was specified as a 4x1 by the architect. I had a very long think about it before fitting the flat 8x2 as he said it wouldn't be required. He also specified 6x2 where the other 8x2s that are screwed together and standing on their edge are fitted.

Above I used 6x2s as specified and although you can't see it in the pictures I fitted a support from which goes from the 6x2 up to the truss at a 90 degree angle, thus providing support where it wasn't originally supported.

All I have to do now is wait on the March winds to see if it stays up:shock:

MERC210

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B CLASS 200 CDI AND e 320 cdi sln 2006 facelift
Oil changes

I have used mine on changes and yes it brings up the sludge from the bottom of the sump ,i find it makes an oil change easy ,go for it and try it its well worth it

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The Rover came out today for the first time this year. The last time the engine was started was last September and on the first turn of the key she started.

A wash and up on the ramp for a quick look
P1030570.jpg

P1030573.jpg

Underneath a 63 year old Rover
P1030574.jpg

P1030575.jpg

Finally
P1030576.jpg

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
The Rover came out today for the first time this year. The last time the engine was started was last September and on the first turn of the key she started.

A wash and up on the ramp for a quick look

Not to bleed the brakes and change the 63 year old oil filter then.. ;)

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
I use one, its excellent. Makes no difference if you suck or drain, there's still loads of old oil swirling around the inside of the engine anyway.

Because your car has a remote oil cooler. I installed a drain plug on mine for just this reason.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not to bleed the brakes and change the 63 year old oil filter then.. ;)

No chance of bleeding rod operated brakes. The oil filter is about the only modern part on the car. The original filter is a gauze fitted inside the sump, but somewhere along the line someone has fitted a screw on filter. The first time I went to change it I had a terrible job finding one to fit the threads, it turns out it is an American thread

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211

That is some motor, both above and below the 'waterline':cool:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom