RUST- THE RULES Aug 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Yes your address is correct.
Please prepare well and logically they are not idiots just instructed by them.
There is no moral argument only a contractual one.
You will need access to a corrosion expert for a sound claim if it goes the distance, They may also cave after some obvious delaying tactics.
If they do cave after some delaying tactics don't forget to put your claim in for a Wasted Costs Order.
Remember to get the most abnoxious and incisive person you know to play devils advocate with your claim, preferably with some legal knowledge, BEFORE YOU SUBMIT IT.
Best of Luck !!

colin ling

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 280 CDI 2008
hognore

When you get annoyed with them have another look at this

Good luck

Attachments

• Mercedes Rust Cheque.jpg
    Mercedes Rust Cheque.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 109

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Small but perfectly formed well done !!!!

GrahamUK

Reaction score
Reported MB advice to dealership:
Yesterday I spent about 30 min with a superficially helpful head of servicing trying to get the rust on my June 2000 CLK 320 assessed. He commented that in the last 6 weeks Mercedes called him up to a course on how to asses rust waranty claims. He states that Mercedes have taught him that their waranty will no longer cover the edge of a panel. Hence he feels that my wheel arch problems will not get past them centrally. He feels that lesser rust around the edge of my sunroof will get through.

He feels service histories are important. My car did only 25k between 2003 and 2010 and the 70k, 80k and 90k oil changes during these years were not MB. Otherwise I have a full MB service history including two services at the dealer I am talking to in the past 9 months. He is concerned by the 6 year lack of a mercedes stamp during these years.

I explained that I see nothing Mobilo mentioning the word "EDGE", I explained that I did not think oil services at 70k 80k and 90k were relevant to the waranty. I explained that I believed MB would loose in small claims. I explained that 40 of the 80 employyees I work with buy mercedes from him at some point and that I'll be talking away there business as best I can.

I am due back there next week to hand him a list of where I think the rust is.

Any advice on handling next week ?

Thanks,

Graham

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Reported MB advice to dealership:
Yesterday I spent about 30 min with a superficially helpful head of servicing trying to get the rust on my June 2000 CLK 320 assessed. He commented that in the last 6 weeks Mercedes called him up to a course on how to asses rust waranty claims. He states that Mercedes have taught him that their waranty will no longer cover the edge of a panel. Hence he feels that my wheel arch problems will not get past them centrally. He feels that lesser rust around the edge of my sunroof will get through.

He feels service histories are important. My car did only 25k between 2003 and 2010 and the 70k, 80k and 90k oil changes during these years were not MB. Otherwise I have a full MB service history including two services at the dealer I am talking to in the past 9 months. He is concerned by the 6 year lack of a mercedes stamp during these years.

I explained that I see nothing Mobilo mentioning the word "EDGE", I explained that I did not think oil services at 70k 80k and 90k were relevant to the waranty. I explained that I believed MB would loose in small claims. I explained that 40 of the 80 employyees I work with buy mercedes from him at some point and that I'll be talking away there business as best I can.

I am due back there next week to hand him a list of where I think the rust is.

Any advice on handling next week ?

Thanks,

Graham
Don't threaten Legal action its meaningless to the service manager.
You haven't a strong case legally, at 11 years old your claim is under Mobilo which is a contract for which you haven't strictly speaking performed your side.
The chances of Goodwill are slim but there is no harm in trying politely but firmly, decisions at the lower levels of MB are not always rational.
Edge corrosion is covered by Mobilo if you can get it , edge of sunroof, edge of wheelarch ??? hard to fathom that one, irrational, Judges don't like irrational.
Beware, it sounds like you are being set up for a "contribution" which would probably cover MB's costs entirely.
Make no decisions quickly, unless you get an unlikely yes to all, get written breakdown of "contribution/s" if they go down that route and post.
Remember this is a public forum !

JohnG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 200 (2001), CLC 1.8 (2011)
We have an SLK (2001) that is driven by my wife. It first showed signs of rust when about five years old. The rust was quite minor - at the front of the bonnet and around the handle to the boot. The car has always been serviced by a Mercedes dealer and it was repaired free of charge. Later, when the car was about eight years old, it showed further signs of rusting. This time, it took very much longer (months) to persuade the dealership to undertake repairs. Eventually, they agreed. The car appears to have been extensively resprayed and there was no charge.

A significant factor in persuading the garage to undertake repairs seemed to be that they has already repaired it once and the fact that it gave the same trouble again suggested an inherent fault in the original paintwork.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
We have an SLK (2001) that is driven by my wife. It first showed signs of rust when about five years old. The rust was quite minor - at the front of the bonnet and around the handle to the boot. The car has always been serviced by a Mercedes dealer and it was repaired free of charge. Later, when the car was about eight years old, it showed further signs of rusting. This time, it took very much longer (months) to persuade the dealership to undertake repairs. Eventually, they agreed. The car appears to have been extensively resprayed and there was no charge.

A significant factor in persuading the garage to undertake repairs seemed to be that they has already repaired it once and the fact that it gave the same trouble again suggested an inherent fault in the original paintwork.

Actually if the original rust returned, in the same places, after being sanded and properly repaired then it would suggest an inherent fault with the metal, as the original paintwork would have been removed

John472

Reaction score
Rust keeps on coming

I was under the impression that rust in quality cars was a thing of the past. I heard about the Scandinavian manufactures performing anti rust treatments years ago.

How come it took MB untill 2002 before any preventative measures were started?

My E Class has been painted twice under warranty and had all new doors and a bonnet fitted which is great. Unfortunately the rest of the car is still rusting. MB now are not interested.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
MB are just waiting to grow out of this problem, The galvanising, from around 2003 would seem to have been their way of putting a halt to the whole sorry saga, and with the 8 yr goodwill offer then this year should see that last of the rust problems...

John472

Reaction score
MB are just waiting to grow out of this problem, The galvanising, from around 2003 would seem to have been their way of putting a halt to the whole sorry saga, and with the 8 yr goodwill offer then this year should see that last of the rust problems...

I doubt this if you havae a car with rust in the monocoque i.e. the bit you cant whip off with a couple of bolts, then you have got a permanent rust problem.
It is a bit like the Forth bridge.

The repairs carried out my MB under the warranty will not erradicate latent rust.
In my view MB would have spent their money better by buying back the car and scrapping it. At least then I could have bought something else with no rust.

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
Yes your address is correct.
Please prepare well and logically they are not idiots just instructed by them.
There is no moral argument only a contractual one.
You will need access to a corrosion expert for a sound claim if it goes the distance, They may also cave after some obvious delaying tactics.
If they do cave after some delaying tactics don't forget to put your claim in for a Wasted Costs Order.
Remember to get the most abnoxious and incisive person you know to play devils advocate with your claim, preferably with some legal knowledge, BEFORE YOU SUBMIT IT.
Best of Luck !!

You will probably find a volunteer on this forum.............Only joking..Exit fast

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I heard about the Scandinavian manufactures performing anti rust treatments years ago. .

I bought a SAAB 95 new (estate, bullet shaped) in 1972. SAAB did indeed have a corrosion control programme then, and as it was a new car, I followed the programme exactly. This involved periodic checks at the dealership and the appplication of some thick black stuff periodically.

By the end of year 3 a hole had appeared at the lower edge of the tailgate and some other bits were not looking too promising, so I moved it on. The replacement (one of the first SAAB 99s, excellent car) was still rust free at 4.5 years.

I have searched the DVLA website for the registration numbers of the 5 SAABs I had in that era, but they all seem to cease to exist in the 1980s. Their average lifespan was 13.5 years.

Steve Lowe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDi
Guys any advice on getting rusty wheel arches sorted on a 2001 W203?

Preference would be to take it to a body shop and get it done properly, at the moment it's surface rust. Would appreciate some recommendations in the London and surrounding area and likely costs?

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Guys any advice on getting rusty wheel arches sorted on a 2001 W203?

Preference would be to take it to a body shop and get it done properly, at the moment it's surface rust. Would appreciate some recommendations in the London and surrounding area and likely costs?

Yep......take it to a body shop and get it done properly.

Mic

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If the rust is on the inside edges then you may get away with just doing the insides, if the rust is on the side panels then the sides will need to be repainted all over

highfellzippy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ml 2006 320cdi
Rust 56 plate ML

I have just noticed on the inside of the rear doors both sides that Rust has taken hold looks like i started under the door sealant wher the skin wraps around its about 600mm long by 90 mm wide creeping up around where the door lock is inside the paint has lifted but not broken there are paint bubbles around 50mm in diameter which i am sure if removed would be severe rust .

will be taken it to dealer

but 2007 car with this amount of servere rust is disgraceful

Mercedes cars are now like the Fiats & Alphas of the 70s !!

this is my 3rd 164ML all were suffering from rust

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have just noticed on the inside of the rear doors both sides that Rust has taken hold looks like i started under the door sealant wher the skin wraps around its about 600mm long by 90 mm wide creeping up around where the door lock is inside the paint has lifted but not broken there are paint bubbles around 50mm in diameter which i am sure if removed would be severe rust .

will be taken it to dealer

but 2007 car with this amount of servere rust is disgraceful

Mercedes cars are now like the Fiats & Alphas of the 70s !!

this is my 3rd 164ML all were suffering from rust

Indeed it is a very poor state of affairs, I wonder how long MB can live off the old image, so many post world wide on this rust,, shame we cannot get all this into the national press.

Perhaps if they were not paying out so much money on this remedial work they cost lower the stupid price asked for certain spare parts

andy59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S600/2001/6.0
BBC Television

I have today be contacted by the BBC who would like more details about our rust claims for one of there consumer programs, and would be greatly interested in any emails or letters from Mercedes denying liability on their 30 year protection policy. If you have any such letters please PM with details.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have today be contacted by the BBC who would like more details about our rust claims for one of there consumer programs, and would be greatly interested in any emails or letters from Mercedes denying liability on their 30 year protection policy. If you have any such letters please PM with details.

It needs a new thread to get anywhere on this

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
You should make a new post, start a new thread on this, I'm sure lots of members will be
only too willing to take part...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom