A200 Auto gearbox issue (2005)

DonaldDukw

Reaction score
Hi, I've been offered a cheap W169 A200 with a gearbox issue that is more likely mechanical than ECU. It is in good condition, black, has cruise control as well as front and rear parking sensors. It's really high spec with sunroof, electric heated seats, Harmon kardon sounds. Sat nav and Bluetooth. The auto gearbox is the issue.

The seller said that it was making a noise from the gearbox then lost forward drive (but reverse worked). When in 1st gear/drive there was no power and the car would remain stationary. His local (non MB) small garage told him that the gearbox is not repairable and would need to be replaced.
I don't know what checks they did to come to this conclusion.

I have 2 main questions to decide if this is feasible.

1). Will the auto box from another W169 fit (A150) and does it have to be a petrol one?

2). Will a manual 5 speed (or diesel 6 speed) fit the engine. I assume I'd need an A200 flywheel/clutch?

For a manual gearbox option was thinking of getting a cheap donor and to have all the bits needed to do the conversion.

A mechanic friend has offered to help.

I realise I can find another one but not with this spec and in this condition. I like the challenge so I don't mind the work or care if it cheaper to buy another 'working one'.

Thanks for any advice on the gearboxes.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Speak to Forrera - he can answer all your questions, and most likely offer a solution.
Best way is to email or message him via facebook / forum, his phone is only for actual garage business.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
That sounds very much like a gearbox rebuild would be needed, noise before looking drive could be like ours and input shaft failed, though if it had reverse then might not be that. Anyway these are CVT boxes so they can be rebuilt but are a pain, you could get a 2nd hand unit but as with anything you don’t know it’s condition and CVT’s are very picky about running perfectly.
Does sound like a very nice spec indeed so a donor could be an easy option if you know it’s history, just remember that your going to have to drop the engine and gearbox to do any work to it, so while it’s out change any maintenance parts at the same time then you won’t have to redo any work for a long time.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
re build the box ,break yr heart to have same dramas with used one. unless you can find one you can drive around for a while..forerra a real good start.

OP
D

DonaldDukw

Reaction score
Speak to Forrera - he can answer all your questions, and most likely offer a solution.
Best way is to email or message him via facebook / forum, his phone is only for actual garage business.
Thanks - I spoke to him and without him seeing it - obviously this could be expensive.

I'm favouring switching to manual or walking away tbh. Manual will involve a donor car. Not sure if flywheel from a smaller petrol W169 engine will do. Thanks

OP
D

DonaldDukw

Reaction score
re build the box ,break yr heart to have same dramas with used one. unless you can find one you can drive around for a while..forerra a real good start.
Thanks - sound advice.

OP
D

DonaldDukw

Reaction score
For anyone interested, it seems that any W169 petrol box will fit - the 6 speed diesel has different gearing.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Will deleting the auto box ECU cause errors to the main ECU?

pedal box.
Clutch linkage. (Hydraulic/cable?)
Bellhousing.
Flywheel.
Clutch.
Gearbox.
Driveshafts.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
would be careful on that , if twas me think i would try hard to get the auto box sorted or buy an old running car as mentioned before there are a number of differences manual/ auto , frankly i dont know all of them myself but yr bargain wont be a bargain if you have to spend loads sorting it (there is also the unknown ,what it broke or unserviceable as a result of old box out /unknown old one in ...) either interview yr box or change it or give idea up. if 169 similar layout to 168 gearbox change not 5 min job and i would not care to do it 2x myself

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Is it petrol or diesel?
What year or mileage?

Top Bottom