Search results

1. M

Tire Pressure Monitor

I just had this problem on a CLS.. Not sure what your car is but I used the steering wheel buttons (on the rhs not the lhs as the manual states - which is written for lhd cars!) press the home button to see the System Menu. I had selected Service>Tyres to reset the baseline pressures. I...
  2. M

Genuine Servicing of my GLC going forward or not.

At 8 years old, my dealer (Sandown MB) offers a substantial discount on both labour and parts with the intention of keeping older cars in the dealer network. I had my previous SL serviced under this deal and the current one will start on it after the current service plan expires next month...
  3. M

Thoughts on this E53 estate!

I had a look and yes I do - at least there is a red positive terminal cover visible in a cut out in the cover. So 12v in the front, 48v in the back. Whilst not achieving E53 performance from the lowest spec petrol engine (1991cc, 4 cyl, 300 bhp/220kW + 10kW! and now discontinued, at least in...
  4. M

As my earlier post, I live in blissful ignorance of the workings of the 48v system on my CLS! {And I didn't know I had a 12v battery as well - or do I?] I have never seen the 48v battery, it is hidden under a bolted down cover in the bottom of the boot - the only reason I know it is there is...
  5. M

Confusion here between MHEV and PHEV? My CLS is MHEV (mild hybrid); this is simply a 48v system with an integrated 10kW motor, starter motor and alternator. The 10kW motor can cut in to provide power assistance if needed but AFAIK the car cannot run on electric alone. The battery charges from...
  6. M

Sun Roof.

I had a similar groan/squeak from an E-class Coupe, only when the roof was open. Car was quite new so fixed under warranty but the solution, according to the dealer, was grease lubrication.
  7. M

R231 SL63 Auxiliary Battery Malfunction

Thank you, that's very useful. As you say, my car is 7+ years old so I expect this may become relevant soon. I remember having the auxiliary battery changed on an E-class where it was much smaller and buried in the passenger end of the dashboard. It was much smaller and failed much earlier...
  8. M

R231 SL63 Auxiliary Battery Malfunction

Useful thread, thank you. Couple of questions though: Is this battery/location unique to the R231 SL63? Or applicable to the R231 SL400? And what does the auxiliary battery do? Is this the one that runs the stop/start system? As I understand it, the R231 abandoned the twin consumer/starter...
  9. M

Strange Event trying to lock the car

Thanks for replies. Hopefully it was a 'one off' that will not repeat. I should have said that the car is keyless go so she only needed to take the key out of the box where the ashtray used to be. But she may well have held it awkwardly and pressed the lock button in doing so. Sensitivity of...
  10. M

Strange Event trying to lock the car

Came home yesterday in the CLS, my wife was driving, got out, pressed fob to lock the car. Nothing happened. Tried a few more times, nothing; sidelights still on. Fetched spare key, still didn't lock. Asked my wife to restart the car, switch off and locked no problem. Seems fine now but...
  11. M

Wiper blades noisy

I think the SL400 has 'Magic Vision' wipers? The screen wash is routed via the blades which are consequently outrageously expensive. £70-80 a pair last time I looked.. Still probably need new ones though!
  12. M

Mercedes ServicePlan - Discounts and thoughts?

Note that many dealers offer discounts on servicing older cars to keep them within the dealer network. Next service on my SL will be at 40% labour and 10% parts discount.
  13. M

Living with an R230

The only roof failure I had with an SL350 (2008 I think) was related to the side 'flaps'. They are driven by a gear engaging in a toothed quadrant on the flap. The quadrant is too narrow and any misalignment separates the drive gear from the quadrant There is/was a revised part with a wider...
  14. M

Alarming and collision detection.

Interesting indeed! I said it half-joking but at least confirms that the car park wasn't pulling my leg.
  15. M

Alarming and collision detection.

Or vibration from passing aircraft?! See my post 'MB Collision Warning System' a few days ago about a similar issue in an airport car park.
  16. M

Front bumper repair - Mercedes versus someone else

Never had any issue with having repairs done via my local MB dealer. They have an on-site minor repair shop and contract to an authorised repairer off-site. Insurer's engineer negotiates the price I have nothing more to do with it other than taking the car in for repair. Yes, there is a...
  17. M

MB Collision Warning System

My CLS has the warning system that advises if the car has been hit by anything. Recently, the car has been parked in an off airport car park at Heathrow. On collecting the car, a warning screen came up advising that the car had been hit, at the front, at a specific date and time. I did find...
  18. M

My first Mercedes C class

Having head several cars with MB Comand, the current CLS has the Garmin system (bought ready built during lockdown so no choice). I find it takes much more 'spooling' than Comand to identify post codes and start route direction. It has a few other idiosyncrasies but then so did Comand...
  19. M

Buying a used SL - 230 versus 231?

Each to his own but I regard the R231 as a fully sorted, all aluminium R 230 with better engines. This means no electrical gremlins/mysterious current drains/"consumer functions off-line" messages and no rear wing corrosion. I know some contributors here prefer the pure looks of the R230 but...
Top Bottom