123 series buying advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonC

New Registration
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a late 70s / early 80s 123 series as my first proper family motor (expecting a baby, having to sell the sports car etc). A few questions on which model would be most suitable for me:

It will be used everyday in London - should I go for the diesel for better fuel consumption?

Should I plump for an auto or manual?

And finally, what year did they introduce rear seatbelts? Essential for baby seat.

Any responses and advice gratefully received.

andy_k

Reaction score
Website
www.ak3dgfx.com
Your Mercedes
E55 AMG
personally speaking as a "family car" I'd go for a slightly later W124. I've owned both and whereas the W123 is undoubtedly a fine car they are getting a little "old in the tooth" now.

The W124 feels more solid, holds the road better, has better brakes and at the end of the day will be younger and therefore better maintained.

Of course there are exceptions and there are still some wonderful low mileage, one owner W123s with a full service history around they are becoming harder and harder to find and you can expect to pay a premium for such a car.

The auto gearboxes are great the manual (in my opinion) less so although others will no doubt disagree but especially for town driving the auto would be my choice every time.

Give the car a thorough going over, check for noise from the gearbox/engine - any rattles, knocks etc particularly from the gearbox - then walk away also find out when the timing chain was replaced - the 230E has a simplex chain in the W123 and it is prone to snapping and doing a lot of damage in the process (another reason for looking at the W124 which has a duplex chain). Listen to the diff - a lot of miles will take it's toll. Check wheels, steering, suspension etc for play, creaks, knocks and tyres for uneven wear.

Make sure the central locking works properly - it works on a vacuum and the reservoir should allow you to lock and unlock the car a few times with the engine switched off (it also works the boot and fuel cap). If it doesn't work don't be fobbed off with excuses like "it's an easy thing to fix" because the system can be a pain to troubleshoot. Loss of vacuum will also effect the cars overall performance and giving harsh gear changes.

If there's a sunroof fitted make sure that that works properly - again expensive to fix and not really a job for the DIY mechanic. See if the seats feel supportive and still have springing in them - in all honesty they are not that great in the W123, a bit flat for my liking.

Body panels can be expensive so if there's any rust tread carefully

As for fuel economy - driven sensibly the 230 will give reasonable economy and more than adequate performance as long as you keep on top of the servicing - we used to average 30 mpg from ours. The larger engines will obviously give more power but you will pay the price in economy - I've never driven/owned a W123 diesel so I can't comment on their economy/performance.

HTH

Andy K

jaymanek

Reaction score
Website
www.mercland.com
Hi,

As above, but at the age your talking about, the auto boxes were horrible 3 speed things i think. Mines a manual and it pulls really well and you need that driving around london.

However if you go for a bigger engine then id go for auto.

Cheers

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom