124 series cabriolet roof reset

chrisB8810

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 E320 cabriolet
Hi all,
I have a 1994 E320 cabriolet, which only covers about 300 miles between MOT's. Unfortunately while taking it out for this years MOT I tried the roof, but it wouldn't open unaided and now it won't close ! The rear compartment doesn't even try to release so I have obviously put it out of sequence. Is there any way of resetting the sequence?

Thanks in anticipation

ChrisB8810

WDB124066

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet X 2
Leave the ignition on for 30 seconds, turn it off and start the car. Make sure your battery is properly charged and the engine is running while operating the hood.

OP
chrisB8810

chrisB8810

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 E320 cabriolet
roof reset

Thanks for the information, I just tried to shut the roof, but nothing happened at all apart from the operation switch light illuminating.

chrisB8810

WDB124066

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is is flashing or solid.

Could try checking the fuses in the fuse box, there is also a fuse on the suspension turrent just for the top, passengers side IIRC...........

OP
chrisB8810

chrisB8810

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 E320 cabriolet
roof reset

The light is permanently illuminated. Is the fuse located on the front or rear suspension?

OP
chrisB8810

chrisB8810

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 E320 cabriolet
roof reset

Just to add to my previous comment, the light is permanently illuminated, but flashes when the switch is moved backward or forward.

WDB124066

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fuse is on/around the front suspension turret on left hand side from memory, it is a big heavy duty one. I am not near my car so I can't point you directly to it.

OP
chrisB8810

chrisB8810

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 E320 cabriolet
roof reset

Thanks for the information regarding the secondary fuse, but I have progressed a little further, I have managed to manually unlock the rear panel and the roof shut! However the rear headrests have now risen and will not retract, consequently the roof will now not open, unless manually assisted. I feel that this is all to do with timing and all operational roof parts will have to be reset to make it work again.

WDB124066

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok again from memory push and hold the roll bar button either in the up direction or down direction, I can't remember to be honest but the push and hold is a reset function. Do it with the motor running and a properly charged battery. The OVP can also give hood roll bar problems, the system is quite sensitive to voltage drop. There is also a possibility the roll sensors under the spring link under the car are not working correctly.

OP
chrisB8810

chrisB8810

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 E320 cabriolet
roof reset

Thanks for trying to help again WDB, I have tried the reset, but it hasn't made any difference. I have now booked it in to have it reset using a star machine and I hope that clears it and it doesn't jam up again next time I use it. I feel that the locking up problem was self inflicted, through trying to raise the roof on my own and not getting someone to operate the switch while I was operating it and consequently throwing it out of sequence. I will make a further post after 'The Star machine' and let interested parties know the outcome.

OP
chrisB8810

chrisB8810

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 E320 cabriolet
roof reset

Just returned from the garage and apparently a 'star machine' cannot be used on my E320 cabriolet, only on the newer CLK. After various tests the prognosis is that the roof ECU is not functioning correctly and that a new unit will cost £1140.00 ! ,unless I can find a salvage one or someone to rebuild it.
Any suggestions?

Some guy on the internet

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A few.
Just returned from the garage and apparently a 'star machine' cannot be used on my E320 cabriolet, only on the newer CLK. After various tests the prognosis is that the roof ECU is not functioning correctly and that a new unit will cost £1140.00 ! ,unless I can find a salvage one or someone to rebuild it.
Any suggestions?

That's £1138.80 +VAT!

PM'ed you.

SL320PABLO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320 1996
Hi, before shelling out that sort of money you want to be sure that that's the problem. any way you can get a loan or use of an ECU to confirm first ? Maybe another friendly member here living close by could allow you to do a quick swap with there one to confirm it. Just a thought ;)

OP
chrisB8810

chrisB8810

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 E320 cabriolet
roof reset

Just to update again, I talked to the technician that diagnosed the ecu fault and he told me that when he tested the roof it kept throwing up different faults, so he is quite confident that the ecu is faulty. He gave me the phone number of BBA, who rebuild ecu's and they have told me that they will test the ecu for £35.00 and if necessary rebuild it for £280.00. I think to be certain, I will be visiting them and again will let interested parties know the outcome. Thanks to everyone for their input.

OP
chrisB8810

chrisB8810

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 E320 cabriolet
roof reset

Latest update, I just picked up the rebuilt ECU, fitted it and the same fault was present, I turned the ignition on/off a few times and hey presto!, the roof went up and down 4 times in a row. I tried it again, 2 hours later and the roof wasn't functioning again! Most upsetting after paying £350 for the rebuild. Is there anyone out there that is mobile, will visit Rainham, Essex and fix the problem?

WDB124066

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Read through all the posts in the link in post #14 would be my advice........

OP
chrisB8810

chrisB8810

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 E320 cabriolet
roof reset

Thanks for the links WDB, I had a good read and found them informative. However I have just returned from the engineer that diagnosed the faulty roof ECU, he put a blink tester on the port under the bonnet and told me that the ECU is not communicating with the tester and therefore, the ECU must still be faulty. Does anybody know where I can get the ECU tested or alternatively is anybody willing to let me try their ECU on my vehicle?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom