190E engine cut-out, possibly fuel starvation

gyaalu

Reaction score
Hi,

So my 190E cut out whilst driving, has failed to start since.
engine has spark and compression, and will fire with a squirt of 'easy-start'.
fuel system is the mechanical injection.

There has been whining/groaning noise from pump/filter/accumulator area for some time, but have ignored this as its been running fine.
Well, does have a cold-start issue, but havent associated this with the fuel pump.

shorted the fuel-pump relay, still no start.
fuel is delivered to injector unit, and from each injector feed, but it seems very low pressure, is only a dribble.
Also, when trying to turn the engine over, no fuel smell from exhaust, plugs arent wet.

Fuel pump is drawing 3A, which is apprently within range.

so, I assumed there must be blockage in fuel lines, or clogged filter.

Just changed the filter, it still doesnt fire.
The whining noise seems better, but cant only judge this from turning the key, not when its running.

I'm left with the following ideas;
Faulty fuel pump - but its too expensive to replace if not - does 3A definitely mean its ok?
Faulty accumulator - only because I cant trace the whining noise, and could be this.
Blocked fuel line - what would my next course of action be in that case?

Is there some kind of pressure limiter - would it cause the engine to suddenly cut out - seems a long shot.

Thanks if anyone can help me pinpoint the fault.

chris

Nencrono

Reaction score
Buy a fuel pump from someone breaking a car on ebay (between £10 & 20), bolt it on & see if it fixes the prob.

Sounds like fp to me. When they get noisy they're not working right. I had problem after my pump went noisy on a G reg 2.0 in that as it got hot it drove worse and worse, lumpy, hesitant, wouldn't rev or wind out at all.

Mechanic scoped it & diagnosed fuel distributor (a mere £1000 from MB) but on MB BBs the opinion was fp. I got BOTH from a scrappy for £70, put the pump on & the distributor. Car wouldn't fire at all so eventually put my old dist. back on just to make it moveable. Thought I might as well test drive to see if it's cured & the car has perfromed flawlessly since.

OP
G

gyaalu

Reaction score
thanks - thats not a bad idea to diagnose cheaply.

I think the whining might have gone now, however, perhaps the new filter has fixed that.

but the no start still remains.

you didnt happen to check the current draw of your old pump did you?

OP
G

gyaalu

Reaction score
Nencrono - thanks a million.

I've actually had someone come and look at the beast, and it seems the pump is ok.
the whining has stopped now that I've replaced the filter, odd but true.
the fuel is coming out at much more than a dribble now, at the distributor ina nd out, that is.

but its not coming out at the injectors.
so, it seems its the distributor itself, or the actuator on the side of it.

hoping to see one on ebay soon.

many thanks,
chris

OP
G

gyaalu

Reaction score
Hi Nencrono,

sorry, been away,
The bosch number is 0438101002

regards,
chris

mercanic

Reaction score
Merc 190e starts pulling up when driving

When I bought my merc 190 it ran fine its done 150,000miles but it has got very bad at starting and when driving the engine suddenly seems to cut out for no reason sort of intermitantly (juddering) like it's being starved of fuel.

I replaced the rotor arm & Cap (both very worn) but it hasn't made any difference so I'm thinking it's a fuel problem it's especially worse in hot weather and I don't trust the car to get me from a-b

The fuel pump is very noisy and doesn't always maintain an even whining noise ie the note changes sometimes but not all the time.

I am thinking new fuel pump but is it more likely to be something else?

Could you tell me where to find the fuel pump in the car and where to find the fuel filter or the relay.

It definately sounds like a fuel starvation problem no acceleration and you sometimes have to feather the throttle to keep her going

any ideas anyone please

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
I would start by changing the filter.
Fuel pump and filter on 190e is under the car just in front and inboard of the driver side rear wheel, it is covered by a plastic shield. Easy enough to work on if you can get enough clearance under the car , release the pressure from the fuel system and clamp the flexible fuel lines before you start.
See here;http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=717.404&CT=F&cat=15F&SID=47&SGR=030&SGN=02 .
Cheers, Geo.

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom