2002 SL55 fog lamp replacement

Thels8

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG 2002
Happy Boxing Day!

I posted a thread 10 days or go asking for advice on replacing a smashed front passenger side fog lamp unit on my 2002 SL55 AMG. The helpful replies and other similar threads implied it was gnarly job without removing the bumper (which is pretty involved), so I thought it might be helpful to let you know my experience.

In short, it wasn't difficult and only took about 45 minutes. There is no need to remove the bumper and not doing so doesn't have to lead to blind working and grazed hands.

While a persistent fellow could do the job without one, there is no doubt a car lift makes the job considerably easier. I borrowed the use of one from a friend.

Steps:
  1. loosen wheel nuts
  2. lift car to waist height
  3. remove wheel
  4. remove the panel screws from the front of the wheel arch engine panelling (about 5 or 6 screws).
  5. remove the quarter floor panel below the damaged unit (a further 4 screws or so). You now have an access hole where the quarter floor panel was, and can prise back the wheel arch engine panel for further access. There is no need to remove the wheel arch engine panel.
  6. Get a good inspection lamp and place appropriately. You will see that there is direct access to the two fog lamp fixings.
  7. Remove the bulb connector (quarter turn anti-clockwise and pull)
  8. You can now use a socket, with a 4-5" extender to remove the two lamp fixings. A swivel head extender would make the job a tad easier, but it isn't crucial.
  9. With the two fixings removed, you slide the unit back and remove
  10. Fit new lamp unit and reverse the steps above to finish.

robin.large

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS C63 AMG 2013
Good post and thanks. It does highlight the different approaches to doing a job and also the importance of identifying the most useful approach.
A 4 corner lift makes every 'external' task easier even if only to bring the car to a better working level!
Wish I had one!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Good job buddy . What would that have cost at a main dealer :shock: ?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom