2003 C270 CDI Oil level

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Older Citroen Now :-(
Hi All...
Today at the GTG in Warrington Shane deomonstrated that my car was indeed capeable of showing the exact oil capacity (ie 6.3 litres) by doing some black arts to the display..
The problem is he did it so quickly and deftly that I did not learn the secret..
Soooo can anyone inform me how this trick is done please?

Thanks in advance.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
there was a thread on this secret display not too long ago. cant remember how it was done myself though, unfortunately!

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 E320 CDi Saloon
Service Engine Oil Level Check

Hi All...
Today at the GTG in Warrington Shane deomonstrated that my car was indeed capeable of showing the exact oil capacity (ie 6.3 litres) by doing some black arts to the display..

It took me some while to discover how to enter the service/engineering menu and get an oil level reading on my 2004 E-Class (E320 CDi).

It appears that the procedure is slightly different if you have a C-Class, although I cannot confirm this for sure.

The following procedure definitely works on my 2004 E-Class:

Note: If the engine has just been running, let the vehicle stand for around 10-15 minutes before starting this procedure.

1. With the vehicle on level ground, put the key into the ignition and turn it clockwise to position 1 (first position).

2. Use the leftmost menu button on the steering wheel (the icon looks like a page of text partly on top of a blank page). Press this button slowly and repeatedly until the speedometer centre display shows 'Temp' (e.g +1.0 C) at the top.

3. Press the 'Reset' pushbutton on the extreme left-hand edge of the instrument cluster (just to the left of the clock) quickly 3 times. The speedometer centre display should change to the engineering menu showing battery voltage 'UB' (e.g. UB: 12.2V).

4. Press the 'Up Arrow' on the left of the steering wheel ONCE. The speedometer centre display should change to show several rows of information. The bottom row should read, 'Oil level _._l'

5. Turn the ignition key clockwise from position 1 to position 2 (second position). Wait patiently for a few seconds and the _._ should change to show the exact amount of oil in the sump in litres (e.g. Oil level 6.55l).

6. Turn the ignition key anti-clockwise to position 0 (OFF) when you have finished taking the reading.
I believe that the procedure for a C-Class is:

Note: If the engine has just been running, let the vehicle stand for around 10-15 minutes before starting this procedure.

1. With the vehicle on level ground, put the key into the ignition and turn it clockwise to position 1 (first position).

2. Use the leftmost menu button on the steering wheel (the icon looks like a page of text partly on top of a blank page). Press this button slowly and repeatedly until the speedometer centre display shows MPH.

3. Press the 'Reset' pushbutton on the extreme left-hand edge of the instrument cluster (just to the left of the clock) quickly 3 times. (I don't know what the C-Class display will show when you have done this).

4. Press the 'Up Arrow' on the left of the steering wheel ONCE. (Again, I don't know what the C-Class display will show when you have done this, but hopefully it will show 'Oil level _._l' somewhere)

5. Turn the ignition key clockwise from position 1 to position 2 (second position). Wait patiently for a few seconds and the display should show the exact amount of oil in the sump.

6. Turn the ignition key anti-clockwise to position 0 (OFF) when you have finished taking the reading.

Of course, having a reading in litres of the quantity of oil currently residing in your sump is pretty meaningless if you don't know what the correct reading should be ;)

I think for the E320 the correct quantity of oil is 6.8 litres, but I haven't been able to confirm this figure. Like I've said many times before - Oh for the simplicity of a dipstick!

I hope the above information is some help. Please try the procedure for the C-Class on your C270 and post back if you get it to work, or not. If you have to change the procedure, please quote and edit my procedure for the benefit of all.

Thanks,

Razoo

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that Razoo..
I shall print it out and try it tonight after work and then let you know the outcome.

Once again thanks for the info

Simon

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It took me some while to discover how to enter the service/engineering menu and get an oil level reading on my 2004 E-Class (E320 CDi).

It appears that the procedure is slightly different if you have a C-Class, although I cannot confirm this for sure.

The following procedure definitely works on my 2004 E-Class:

2. Use the leftmost menu button on the steering wheel (the icon looks like a page of text partly on top of a blank page). Press this button slowly and repeatedly until the speedometer centre display shows 'Temp' (e.g +1.0 C) at the top.

3. Press the 'Reset' pushbutton on the extreme left-hand edge of the instrument cluster (just to the left of the clock) quickly 3 times. The speedometer centre display should change to the engineering menu showing battery voltage 'UB' (e.g. UB: 12.2V).

4. Press the 'Up Arrow' on the left of the steering wheel ONCE. The speedometer centre display should change to show several rows of information. The bottom row should read, 'Oil level _._l'

5. Turn the ignition key clockwise from position 1 to position 2 (second position). Wait patiently for a few seconds and the _._ should change to show the exact amount of oil in the sump in litres (e.g. Oil level 6.55l).

I believe that the procedure for a C-Class is:

2. Use the leftmost menu button on the steering wheel (the icon looks like a page of text partly on top of a blank page). Press this button slowly and repeatedly until the speedometer centre display shows MPH.

3. Press the 'Reset' pushbutton on the extreme left-hand edge of the instrument cluster (just to the left of the clock) quickly 3 times. (I don't know what the C-Class display will show when you have done this).

4. Press the 'Up Arrow' on the left of the steering wheel ONCE. (Again, I don't know what the C-Class display will show when you have done this, but hopefully it will show 'Oil level _._l' somewhere)

5. Turn the ignition key clockwise from position 1 to position 2 (second position). Wait patiently for a few seconds and the display should show the exact amount of oil in the sump.

Of course, having a reading in litres of the quantity of oil currently residing in your sump is pretty meaningless if you don't know what the correct reading should be ;)

I think for the E320 the correct quantity of oil is 6.8 litres, but I haven't been able to confirm this figure. Like I've said many times before - Oh for the simplicity of a dipstick!

I hope the above information is some help. Please try the procedure for the C-Class on your C270 and post back if you get it to work, or not. If you have to change the procedure, please quote and edit my procedure for the benefit of all.

Thanks,

Razoo

A Big thank you Razoo..
I can confirm that the method you suggested works very well.
Thanks mate,

allmerc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270CDI
Clk270 cdi

Hi Simon, now you got me all interested and I wanna try the same on mine. I believe the level on this engine should be 6.5 litre at full capacity. What reading did you get? Thanks in advance.

OP
S.Speed

S.Speed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Allmerc..
You are correct in that 6.5 Litres is Max on the dipstick.
Mine showed 6.3 litres but make sure you have allowed her to settle for 10 minutes or so..
I think its a far better method than the "OIL OK" method..

Once again thanks Razoo... I am like a Kid with a new toy now !

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom