300D - thinking of buying one, advise please

mcnevermind

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a 300d auto about a 1990 model.

Is there anything i should be looking for, any common problems?

From what i've heard they go forever?

Also what MPG can I expect from it?

Can anyone also recommend any other models of merc in a diesel format, auto and cheap!

Thanks in advance

Secret info

New Registration
Reaction score
Rust, as the paintwork was not that good and was missing in a few places !
I believe that was also about that year that water based paint started to be used, perhaps someone can confirm this and wether that is what caused the rust problems ?

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Hi 1990 They realy did build Mercs to a high standard, over engineered, good bodies , good paint work, but they are 20yrs old now, the 300d was used as a taxi in germany, and other countries, by many companies, also for chauffeuring as it was the most reliable car ever built, most engines would do 500,000 mls and g/boxes 250,000 if engine oil ,and atf , along with filters were changed at the proper mileage, the 300d will give you 30to35mpg, the 250d 35 to 40mpg this is driving foot down, more if you are a gentel driver. I know every nut and bolt on these cars, as I worked on them 1985 to present date, advice don't try and pick one up for £500, but £1500 with up to180,000mls could buy you one that will go on for many years. As they are 20yrs old,LOOK for rust on rear sub frame where it bolts to the chassis, front and especialy rear wings, try and buy one with manual seats, also no a/c ,drivers seat always starts to show wear after 70,000 on most mercs, poly V belt adjuster,doughnut on rear of g/box, engine and g/box mountains normaly want changing at 100,000mls, let us know how you get on with buying one keep us in formed, lots off people can help you on the forum with this simple but good model. Hope this helps

perfectgent

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220D CDI
I drive an E220D. I've only had it about 3-4 weeks but it's great. It's not a top-of-the-range one but it has everything I need and I'm really enjoying the auto box.

'99 V, paid £1,700 for it. Does 35-40 mpg around town (yeah, seriously), 55-60 on the motorway and about 45-48 on average. Roughly.

simon_wall69

Reaction score
As Brianbrian really, glow plugs can be very difficult to change so check they all work as they should and the dashboard light works. Also, worth checking the heater blows hot and cold. Other than that, just your normal checks as you would do for any other car.

OP
M

mcnevermind

Reaction score
Thanks loads thats really helped a lot.

I'll no doubt post some more once i've got shut of my Nissan QX gas guzzling barge:(

SilverSaloon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124/1994/om606
dont forget, if you do get one of these older diesels, you can run it on veg oil ;)

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Make sure all dash lights function, as it has been known for sellers to take ABS and brake pad bulbs out,also break pad censors. Hope this helps

Top Bottom