300td loosing power and squeeling

ben creighton

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the board - this is my first post.

My 300td elegance (1998) has lost its power when accelerating. Not only that, it squeels - same noise as when your fan belt goes - when you accelerate hard.

Is this a job for a qualified mechanic?

Thanx

ben

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome:D:D The squealing will be from the serpentine belt on the front of the engine,,this also drives the turbo,, this could be just the belt,,or the turbo could have seized. slipping of the belt and turning the turbo by hand would answer it all

luders79

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 estate
thought all turbos were driven by exhaust gases ! Kompressors/supercharges are belt driven! back to the orginal post it could also by gearbox related! had a couple of 210's with similar faults !

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
They are.

2 possibly seperate faults here.

Drive belt may be worn.

Loss of power. Is there a hiss/ woosh noise under hard acceleration. If so may be a split turbo pipe/ intercooler.

Where are you located Ben, and welcome?

simon_wall69

Reaction score
I would assume the belt has come off and taken a hose out of the intercooler or turbo - might only be a matter of re-attaching and replacing belt and tensioner.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom