6 Branch Manifold for a W124 M103 engine??

Prof.C.Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 W124 300CE (M103)
I have been searching for this, and cannot find.. Can anyone help, or does anyone have other suggestions for the Exhaust system to open her up a bit??

I am a newbie, so please go easy if there is something flawed with my idea..

Blessings.

hotrodder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 320te, '54 ragtop beetle (in bits)
Everything about exhausts is a compromise and 6 pot manifolds are typically set up as two 3 into 1 for various reasons to do with firing order, scavanging and collector volume. While many OE designs specifically avoid scavanging/pulse tuning* the basic layout is still the best compromise (wider rpm band) most of the time even when you're after a different compromise to the manufacturer

Any decent fabricator should be able to come up with something better than the stock manifolds, those that ask lots of questions about things like valve sizes/port areas/cam timing etc are more likely to produce something that works better than those that just ask if you'd like to sound louder. Don't expect big gains relative to the money involved in a one off job, especially in isolation

* if the exhaust is tuned to improve scavanging at some rpm it can result in the engine 'seeing' a length it doesn't like at some other rpm. In other words a gain in one area can result in losses elsewhere

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
The original road test in Autocar when 124 coupe launched said what a magnificent car in
all respects - nil negatives.

They gave 'your' car a 0-60 time of 7.5 secs.

How much more do you want OR do you feel it is not performing as it should ?

I would want to know it is performing to spec first before anything else.

OP
Prof.C.Benz

Prof.C.Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 W124 300CE (M103)
Understood..

If the car is as well balanced as you say, then maybe I should just go for something that makes it sound a bit better?.. I have a damaged exhaust, so an excuse to look for something that will open up that beautiful straight 6 rumble.

Any ideas??

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Remember, MB spend millions on development, they usually get it pretty right, or if its comprimised they did it on purpose for a reason you may not know about... not always, most of the time.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom