6 speed auto

dava

Reaction score
I looking at an 57 plate C220 cdi Sport editon (old shape) and they say it has a 6 speed auto box in. Now I've never heard of a 6 speed, seen the 7G and when I've run a check on the reg no, it's saying 5 speed auto. Does anyone know if this could have a 6 speed auto in it or not? Dont have the vin no.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I'm not aware of a 6 speed auto, 6 speed manual yes but not auto.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I looking at an 57 plate C220 cdi Sport editon (old shape) and they say it has a 6 speed auto box in. Now I've never heard of a 6 speed, seen the 7G and when I've run a check on the reg no, it's saying 5 speed auto. Does anyone know if this could have a 6 speed auto in it or not? Dont have the vin no.

No - it's a 5spd auto.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I thought the new shape A Class had a 7 speed CVT box, but I stand to be corrected.

It's a bit of an odd one. Strictly a CVT box has no gears but the ability to change the gearing infinitely. What MB do on the A and the B class with CVT boxes is provide 7 pseudo gears for when you use the tiptronic feature. As in conventional MB boxes you push the lever left and it chooses a ratio. It has seven ratios to choose from so you can tip your way up through the ratios. But they are purely there to give you the feeling of gears from a box that really has none.

The MB handbook explains quite well but for a brilliant explanation of both CVT and conventional autos, and wonderful diagrams, try this site: -
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt1.htm

Last edited:

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
It's a bit of an odd one. Strictly a CVT box has no gears but the ability to change the gearing infinitely. What MB do on the A and the B class with CVT boxes is provide 7 pseudo gears for when you use the tiptronic feature. As in conventional MB boxes you push the lever left and it chooses a ratio. It has seven ratios to choose from so you can tip your way up through the ratios. But they are purely there to give you the feeling of gears from a box that really has none.

The MB handbook explains quite well but for a brilliant explanation of both CVT and conventional autos, and wonderful diagrams, try this site: -
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt.htm
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/cvt1.htm

Is this like the old Daff that had those belts and pulleys that expanded and contracted according to need?:)

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda

Assuming it is a normal tiptronic auto with PRND and a +/- then 'they' don't know what they're talking about. Its a 5 speed box, and a very good one too.

OP
D

dava

Reaction score
Assuming it is a normal tiptronic auto with PRND and a +/- then 'they' don't know what they're talking about. Its a 5 speed box, and a very good one too.

I think your right. I've had this on so many ocassions, I'm a MB Mechanic and I've never heard of one but he insisted it was?

sixpack

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 w212 220
6 speed

Hi Dava

There is a 6 speed sequentronic, automated manual transmission fitted to some 203s. I looked at one before I bought my auto. According to the users manual it can be used in fully auto mode, to quote from the 203 owners book:- Autoshift mode, all six forward gears are available.

Peter

OP
D

dava

Reaction score
I HPI the car and it came back as a 5 speed auto. According to the blurb it is fully loaded which I want, just I dont want to drive 250 miles to find out it's not whats advertised. Like some one said above it's a shame they dont know their product, spotty kids in comet know more about what they are selling and there is nothing in their shop costing £20k. Anybody in Lincoln?

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Is this like the old Daff that had those belts and pulleys that expanded and contracted according to need?:)

If you go to the link I posted you will see there are several ways of doing a CVT box. Moved on a lot since the Daff.

OP
D

dava

Reaction score
Now thats interesting. Is yours a sport edition?

OP
D

dava

Reaction score
Sorry I just read yours is a coupe.

OP
D

dava

Reaction score
Just to kill this off MB dont do a 6 speed auto, only a 5 and 7 speed and a 6 speed manual. Ran a check on the vehicle through MB as well as speaking to the Tech boys to confirm it. Thanks for all the input.

Top Bottom