722.6 Transmission Checking Fluid Level

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Don't agree with what's been said above.

How often have you come across an engine oil dipstick that has a few inches left floating at the top when you've inserted it?
Dipsticks made for engine oil level checking are all designed to read correctly when inserted to a predetermined stop. - ie. fully home. That's the only certain and foolproof way of measuring the correct level.

No autobox dipstick (sorry Rodders) that when inserted into the tube has a bit left dangling out at the top can be as certain as one of the correct length that sits 'home' when inserted. There will always be a degree of user variation and uncertainty if the dipstick does not go right 'home'.
That's for engine oil when the manufacturer has specifically designed one.
With MB "sealed for life" transmissions that was never the case and a way was found to stop the dipstick at the bottom not the top to allow for different lengths of guide tube. When you have the sump off to do a filter change put the dip stick in and you will see where it stops.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009

How often have you come across an engine oil dipstick that has a few inches left floating at the top when you've inserted it?
Dipsticks made for engine oil level checking are all designed to read correctly when inserted to a predetermined stop. - ie. fully home. That's the only certain and foolproof way of measuring the correct level.

No autobox dipstick (sorry Rodders) that when inserted into the tube has a bit left dangling out at the top can be as certain as one of the correct length that sits 'home' when inserted. There will always be a degree of user variation and uncertainty if the dipstick does not go right 'home'.
But in the auto box dipstick it does go "home " which is why it has the bulge at the end reading section . It's just not what we are used to from dipping engine oil when the "home" is the end cap at the top .
I'm sure there are exact length MB ATF dipsticks but they still have the bulge at the reading section , regardless of what the cap is doing ?

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I have had several MB's with the 722.6 box, and have taken trouble each time to get the correct dipstick for them (there was one tube length different from the others). Each dipstick stopped fully home and gave the correct level reading.

The point is - it can be done, and is the only way to remove user variation and uncertainty.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
I have had several MB's with the 722.6 box, and have taken trouble each time to get the correct dipstick for them (there was one tube length different from the others). Each dipstick stopped fully home and gave the correct level reading.

The point is - it can be done, and is the only way to remove user variation and uncertainty.
When the dipstick stops at the bottom the same length will protrude into the sump so there can't be user variation, some uncertainty arises if you are not familiar with the method.

OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1st Merc 2010 E Class W212 2.1 CDI. 2nd Merc 2014 E Class W212 220 CDI

Personally, I would agree with you umblecumbuz. I'm from an age when there was no ambiguity about dipsticks. You would push it in to the max, then remove it and read the result's. End of story. I have tried (unsuccessfully so far ) to get a 90 CM dipstick ( which I think is the correct one for my w212) Lots of 1220 Cms ones around though. I guess we have to go with the times.

OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When the dipstick stops at the bottom the same length will protrude into the sump so there can't be user variation, some uncertainty arises if you are not familiar with the method.
From the answer's to my query here on the forum, it seems that the "STOP" is built into the plastic section on the dipstick. In my original question, I was worried about the stick flexing, and that it was the plastic ( measuring end) that was flexingm which would really give inaccurate readings. But Wighty and some other posters assure me that its the metal part is flexing, and not the plastic part. None the less, I will try to get the correct length dipstick. That will take any guesswork out of it.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
From the answer's to my query here on the forum, it seems that the "STOP" is built into the plastic section on the dipstick. In my original question, I was worried about the stick flexing, and that it was the plastic ( measuring end) that was flexingm which would really give inaccurate readings. But Wighty and some other posters assure me that its the metal part is flexing, and not the plastic part. None the less, I will try to get the correct length dipstick. That will take any guesswork out of it.
Let us know how you get on in the hunt for the elusive correctly fitting dipstick buddy :D

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
That's for engine oil when the manufacturer has specifically designed one.

My car doesn't even have an engine oil dipstick.

The dealer ones (both oil and ATF) are engineering tools designed to fit any engine, hence the extra length.

OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My car doesn't even have an engine oil dipstick.

The dealer ones (both oil and ATF) are engineering tools designed to fit any engine, hence the extra length.

Well Rory, in the beginning engine oil dip sticks were part and parcel of every engine in every car, as far back as I can remember. And these dipsticks were specific to a particular engine / transmission. If I remember rightly, the Borg-Warner and Ford Bordeaux transmission's did have their own dipsticks. I remember checking them for fluid at the time, and their dipsticks were specific to those transmissions. In the present computerized age, I understand that the engine oil levels are checked, and you will see a msg on the dash if the oil level runs low. But this option does not seem to be available for the transmission ( except maybe you will get a warning light if the level gets too low?) I can understand the dipstick manufacturers make a wide range of dipsticks to cover all the different make's etc. But surely they make them for specific engines and transmission's too? I have managed to locate one supplier on EBay, who has advertised 920 mm dipsticks for the 722.6 box...on the present 1220 mm dipstick that I am using, I have marked it at the point where it is full inserted, and this corresponds to the 920mm one that is advertised. So we will see how it is when it arrives.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Well Rory, in the beginning engine oil dip sticks were part and parcel of every engine in every car, as far back as I can remember. And these dipsticks were specific to a particular engine / transmission. If I remember rightly, the Borg-Warner and Ford Bordeaux transmission's did have their own dipsticks. I remember checking them for fluid at the time, and their dipsticks were specific to those transmissions. In the present computerized age, I understand that the engine oil levels are checked, and you will see a msg on the dash if the oil level runs low. But this option does not seem to be available for the transmission ( except maybe you will get a warning light if the level gets too low?) I can understand the dipstick manufacturers make a wide range of dipsticks to cover all the different make's etc. But surely they make them for specific engines and transmission's too? I have managed to locate one supplier on EBay, who has advertised 920 mm dipsticks for the 722.6 box...on the present 1220 mm dipstick that I am using, I have marked it at the point where it is full inserted, and this corresponds to the 920mm one that is advertised. So we will see how it is when it arrives.
From memory, there is a float inside the transmission which measures the oil level which can be read on STAR.

Donald McPherson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180 komp elegance se a 2005
Assuming the oil is at the correct level. Get the gearbox up to temp, check level with dipstick. When you have the dipstick in and you are reasonably sure it is in the correct position adjust the collar that was suggested above. Now check the level and note the oil mark. Now you have something for future reference should you change the oil youself.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
I have managed to locate one supplier on EBay, who has advertised 920 mm dipsticks for the 722.6 box...on the present 1220 mm dipstick that I am using, I have marked it at the point where it is full inserted, and this corresponds to the 920mm one that is advertised. So we will see how it is when it arrives.

Sounds like that'll fit if you've measured it, but the 920mm ones are advertised as generic, not specific to any age/model.

I don't think you're supposed to leave them in all the time anyway.

OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Assuming the oil is at the correct level. Get the gearbox up to temp, check level with dipstick. When you have the dipstick in and you are reasonably sure it is in the correct position adjust the collar that was suggested above. Now check the level and note the oil mark. Now you have something for future reference should you change the oil youself.

This is exactly what I have done Donald, see pic I have attached. I drilled out a hard rubber grommet so that it would be a tight fit, then I got a drill bit depth collar. I loosened the screw on the collar and pushed it back all along the dipstick, followed by the rubber grommet, Then I inserted the dipstick into the pipe until it bottomed out, then pushed the grommet and collar down until it met the metal pipe, and locked it in place. When I measured it afterwards, its 900 mm . But the one I have ordered on Ebay is 920mm, which includes the round "handle ".

Attachments

• Dipstick Pic 3 IMAG7017.jpg
    Dipstick Pic 3 IMAG7017.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 5
OP
Jim2

Jim2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sounds like that'll fit if you've measured it, but the 920mm ones are advertised as generic, not specific to any age/model.

I don't think you're supposed to leave them in all the time anyway.

No Rory, I don't imagine that leaving them in all the time would be a good idea. Would be interesting though if any Forum member is presently doing a change, and has the sump removed, if he could insert the dipstick and take a few pics of the dipstick in situ.....I know that in the past dipsticks were included as standard in the automatic's.
Yes, you are probably right about it being generic rather than being MB specific.... next time I'm in the local MB dealership, I will ask if there is one available as a stock item. But as that were supposed to be "sealed for life", I don't hold out much hope.....o_O

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
Hi Jim, Not been on the Club site for a while, however my dipstick was exactly the same spec as the Merc. OEM one. It is the make and model of the vehicle which matters, not the box itself.
The correct stick is exactly as per unble's description in his posting.
I gave my stick to my local 'Inde' as he did not have one for my particular model, he will carry out any further oil & filter changes as i do not lie under the car anymore. Good luck, hope you get there in the end. Herbie.

NigelSpicer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300TD/1999/3L
Jim2, When I read your 1st post I immediately knew what you were getting at. I have an e300TD 1999 which has a 722.6 5G box. The Febi stick is pretty hopeless as it is totally unclear as to when it is at the correct position. I checked mine today (cold) just out of curiosity and I can just get a little wetting at the tip if I use nearly no pressure, but if I use just a little extra pressure the whole plastic tip comes out covered in oil. Obviously? at this temp I shouldn't get any wetting if it was bottoming out due to a bulge at the tip. So I am none the wiser and just wish there was a definitive stop at the top.

Did you (or anyone else) have any success in resolving your original question?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
As its a workshop tool, there is some expectation of the person using it being trained to use it somewhat.

yes its a pain, but after you have done it a few times you get used to it. Keep inserting gently until you get a small bit of resistance then stop. That's it.

The difficult bit is when you have to top it up. Then the whole inside of the tube is full of ATF and it always reads high.

NigelSpicer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300TD/1999/3L
Thank you for responding. I think I have it clear now- I had another go today and there is a definite Stop as the triangular bulge bottoms out in the conductor plate. There is some slight slack as the stick compresses in the tube, but as you say you can tell when it's a good reading. The main 'learning curve' has been that as you say it is a workshop tool used on any 722.6 gearbox and so there is no need to find a dipstick that seats at the top of the tube- ie the overhang of extra dipstick doesn't matter. There is a lot of irrelevent discussion on here and elsewhere that talks about how long the dipstick should be. So hope this thread helps someone else!

NigelSpicer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e300TD/1999/3L
Someone above asked for a picture of the dipstick in situ and pan off, so here is one for the record. The dipstick was pushed firmly put not hard to seat it in the conductor plate and you can see that it enters the sump vertically. Can't really go wrong if you see how it works ie bottom seating rather than top.

Attachments

• 20230206_115132.jpg
    20230206_115132.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 19

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom