A Class intermittent sticking thermostat

pp.1998

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes A Class 2013 1.6L
Is there such a thing as an intermittent sticking thermostat?

I brought a 2013 A Class from an approved dealership two weeks ago. The next day the engine management light appeared. Sent car back to dealership to be looked at. The engine management light didn’t appear with the garage until a few days of them road testing, they’ve come back to me telling me “We have carried out further tests and we believe the issue is being caused by an intermittent sticking thermostat. Which would be the reason why it took awhile for the fault to reappear”

They have replaced the thermostat and temp sensor, and have road tested 50 miles without fault coming back on.

My question is, is there such a thing as it being intermittent? Someone I spoke to seems to think it ether works or doesn’t.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome,

Sounds like they're telling porkie pies to me. The EML will log a code, a lot are related to emissions related sensors and equipment

OP
P

pp.1998

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes A Class 2013 1.6L
Hello and welcome,

Sounds like they're telling porkie pies to me. The EML will log a code, a lot are related to emissions related sensors and equipment
Thanks for the reply. I had someone get the code for me, before the car was sent back. It was P0128.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Stat wont trigger the EML as its purely mechanical

Possible the temp sensor, triggered the EML and to be on the safe side they replaced both.

Stats do wear down and do need replacing

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Stat WILL trigger the eml. We have replaced loads for this. On a rare occasion it will clear without replacement but the norm is to replace v

Top Bottom