A few words of warning about Insurance and Repairs

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Probably would run to a lecture room, I could be early and get a seat in the gallery.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I completely agree with you. A sure sign of less than 100% concentration is the driver who leans his right arm on the window sill.

im curious as to why you think this, Alex, as i will admit to doing it myself, mainly for comfort than any other reason. sure, it isnt taught, but neither is using the left foot to brake and there are people on here that have mentioned that they do it. and im sure that there are many other things that people do that isnt taught!
my limited experience has shown me that the 2 worst offenders for not doing things 100% as it is taught are police oficers and driving instructors!

i also think that extra technology etc in cars has made drivers complacent. when the driver had to do everything and the cars werent as safe, you were more conscious of possible consequences. now we have compulsory seatbelts, belt pretensioners, airbags everywhere, ABS, traction control, cruise control, distronic, auto lights, wipers, power steering, the list probably goes on! but all of these make drivers, particularly younger drivers who have always had this technology, think they wont get hurt.

when i was driving a late 80's 7.5 tonne wagon which had no seat belts fitted, i was ALWAYS a lot more worried than when in the car with all its safety gadgets etc

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I'm curious as to why you think this, Alex, as i will admit to doing it myself, mainly for comfort than any other reason. sure, it isn't taught, but neither is using the left foot to brake and there are people on here that have mentioned that they do it. and I'm sure that there are many other things that people do that isn't taught!
my limited experience has shown me that the 2 worst offenders for not doing things 100% as it is taught are police officers and driving instructors!

i also think that extra technology etc in cars has made drivers complacent. when the driver had to do everything and the cars weren't as safe, you were more conscious of possible consequences. now we have compulsory seat belts, belt pretensioners, airbags everywhere, ABS, traction control, cruise control, distronic, auto lights, wipers, power steering, the list probably goes on! but all of these make drivers, particularly younger drivers who have always had this technology, think they wont get hurt.

when i was driving a late 80's 7.5 tonne wagon which had no seat belts fitted, i was ALWAYS a lot more worried than when in the car with all its safety gadgets etc

I don't disagree Pete. There is a huge amount of passive safety in our cars these days, and that is just as well given the standard of the average driver, either in driving skill, or attitude, or both.

I am not arguing a "cause and effect relationship" between elbow on the windowsill and inattention, but I have observed the coincidence of these two factors thousands of times over the years - to the extend that I could be persuaded that there is some sort of switch triggered when the forearm hits the window sill.

OP
S

Shezbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300 sl
I don't disagree Pete. There is a huge amount of passive safety in our cars these days, and that is just as well given the standard of the average driver, either in driving skill, or attitude, or both.

I am not arguing a "cause and effect relationship" between elbow on the windowsill and inattention, but I have observed the coincidence of these two factors thousands of times over the years - to the extend that I could be persuaded that there is some sort of switch triggered when the forearm hits the window sill.

If you are not "driving a car" with some thought, or are perhaps lax (hanging an elbow out of the window-is the start) then by making this small step the drivers will - probably use their mobile etc etc. So yes agree with the thought association Alex!

It is amazing on these Traffic Cop programmes that cars with faulty lights or driving poorly usually don't have tax - insurance or a licence....the elbow theory IS a good one and one the cops have probably twigged it also:shock:

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Depends on the car...never used to stick elbow on windowsills but since i've had my w124s the comfortable position is elbow on the windowsill, right hand resting on the wheel. The multifunction stalk is then in reach and there is never a need to use the left hand except for manouvering...can be driven hundreds of miles for hours like this and because both hands are fully relaxed you never get aches/tired (well once 16hrs into a 23hr journey my elbow was sore from rubbing on the sill so needed to put a jumper on!)

This doesn't make me an inattentive or sloppy driver...i sincerely hope the BIB won't be using this criteria to harass more motorists than they do already

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Depends on the car...never used to stick elbow on windowsills but since i've had my w124s the comfortable position is elbow on the windowsill, right hand resting on the wheel. The multifunction stalk is then in reach and there is never a need to use the left hand except for manouvering...can be driven hundreds of miles for hours like this and because both hands are fully relaxed you never get aches/tired (well once 16hrs into a 23hr journey my elbow was sore from rubbing on the sill so needed to put a jumper on!)

This doesn't make me an inattentive or sloppy driver...i sincerely hope the BIB won't be using this criteria to harass more motorists than they do already

on the other hand, a 23 hour journey? Continuous? How many drivers?

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
on the other hand, a 23 hour journey? Continuous? How many drivers?

Just the 1...hotel messed up booking so continued all the way, stopping for a 10 min break every 1h30...and yes i would never do it again.

Nevertheless any danger wasn't posed by driving in a comfortable position with the elbow on the sill!

pipmk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350cdi Sport cabriolet
One has even professed to 30 yrs experience :p

And one spent all his time saying"Yah boo you are wrong! yah boo you are wrong!" but never offering one piece of evidence. Empty vessels make most noise.

OP
S

Shezbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300 sl
And one spent all his time saying"Yah boo you are wrong! yah boo you are wrong!" but never offering one piece of evidence. Empty vessels make most noise.

Old Chinese saying:
Those with knowledge, sometimes get fed up of trying to prove they are right, when others contuinally say they are wrong!:rolleyes:

Daily Telegraph quote:
“this reads like a car credit hire operator posing as an accident management Company, However XX Accident AfterCare scheme has been set up to provide car owners with an alternative to the excesses of this industry, enabling them to exercise their legal right to choose the repairer of their vehicle and receive the repair service that they want and expect for their vehicle"

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class

You leave snail alone, he did make some good points, tho nothing to do with the discussion going on....

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Sorry to come back in on this thread..but just to point out.. Tesco insurance, when it was launched a few years ago...one of their big selling points and one they made clear was that car repairs would have to be overseen by them and carried out where they dictated under their approved repairer system...........It has never come to pass... I wonder why..
The only stipulation they make now is that if a policyholder goes outside the approved repairer system they will not get a courtesy car...

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH................................................... :roll:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH................................................... :roll:

no strong views then? :rolleyes:

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So out of interest, after all this, has anyone changed their mind and is not going to go for the cheapest insurance next year?

Not wanting to bring up old arguments, just interested if anyone's mind has been changed

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class

And a major credit card company actually picked you to go off to india to set up a call centre..

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current SL400 2016 R231 Previously owned SL500 2005 R230
So out of interest, after all this, has anyone changed their mind and is not going to go for the cheapest insurance next year?

Not wanting to bring up old arguments, just interested if anyone's mind has been changed

Not as a result of this thread, but I will certainly be shopping carefully. My existing insurer wanted £1200 to add on the SL for 6 months, so I had no choice but to jump ship. I therefore had to buy insurance elsewhere in rather a hurry and found the whole experience extremely time consuming and difficult. What I did find after the event is that my ins now doesn't cover me for driving other cars. It's not critical as I am a named driver on two other cars, but is an aspect I would keep if I could. So I will start shopping early next year to try and find the best for a "competitive" price, but not necessarily the cheapest.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
And a major credit card company actually picked you to go off to india to set up a call centre..

:p;):eek:

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
taken me an hour to read this thread and i have filtered out some usefull information. my concern with reference to insurance is the inherent corruption which is well known and the government are looking into the situation. you cannot blame people who arrive from other lands that have nowt quickly getting onto the whiplash bandwaggon as well as the courtesey car rogues, and repairers, it's always easy spending other peoples money, like the bankers have done, insurance is just a tax IMHO, and many motorists have just not taken out insurance, they deseve all they get, but the real rougues will continue to take our money and screw us where they can. herbiemercman.

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
Obviously there are a lot of insurance underwriters as well as bankers that are members of this forum! The prospect of the jam being removed from the bread and butter is making you peevish to say the least.

I know of a case where the owner of a merc after taking the vehicle, subsequent to an accident, to the insurers approved repairer had to sue said insurer to have the work completed at a Merc approved body shop. This was a fir st hand conversation I might add. While insured by the people associated with the red telephone on wheels I took my vehicle to their approved shop. First thing they did.................check the tyre treads! Then bump the wheels over the kerb.

I've actually read policies that state that the repairer is not bound to use oem parts.

As for the guff regarding insurance companies negoiating large discounts for using OEM parts :lol: That is what the Navy would call ' having smoke blown up your ass!'

Always use your prefered repairer, either a business you know is good or the VM approved shop. They may still make a mess of it but are more likely to put things right if you complain.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom