A question for Alex and the other guys that have overhauled an ML270cdi engine (2003)

wvr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML270cdi 2003 & Audi 1,8T 2004
Hi All. As I have mentioned in previous threads. My 270cdi had a starting problem which nobody could fix (including MB agents), it then progressed to a cutting out problem when idling. They eventually told me the compression was too low, I had this confirmed (Bosh agents & MB) and decided to have the engine opened to check. There didn’t seem to be damage inside the engine but I had the rings and big ends changed and the head done. The engine should be ready to start tomorrow, but as Alex mentioned previously, the sad fact is that the idling problem is likely going to still be there after all of this.:(
I also have a concern about a washer that was left in the parts tray after re-assembling my engine, the mechanic said he checked everywhere (when assembling) but couldn’t find a place for it. He said it could have accidently been added to my engine parts tray at the wash bay but the fact that he showed me does make me nervous, I added a photo of the washer hoping that somebody can tell me if they identify it at all and then save me a lot of extra drama:confused:.
Another thing I found out in the week is that according to the parts guys (MB agents); I do have a pump in the diesel tank. I have been told by just about everybody that worked on the car (Inc MB mechanics that there is no pump in the tank and that both pumps are in front of the engine). I made the guy check (on the system) 3 times and saw the drawing on the system for myself (according to my chassis no.).
Is this true and if so,:idea: could it be the cause of the problems I have experienced????? Really wish I could just get the car running!!!

Attachments

• SNC00019.jpg
    SNC00019.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 107
  • SNC00017.jpg
    SNC00017.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
the parts catalogue does list the tank unit as being a 'fuel pump', i think though that in actual fact it is just a swirl pot and fuel gague sender. the text descriptions on the catalogue are vague and sometimes just plain wrong, i suspect that exactly the same picture and text are used for the petrol variant which does have an in tank pump.

as for the washer, it does look familiar but i cannot place it, sorry.

OP
W

wvr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thx alex, just hope the washer is not from my engine,thats definately the last thing i need at this stage. Do you think it will be worth dropping the tank to see what is going on in there, would this be a big job?
Anyway, better call it a night. I really hope and pray that the engine starts tommorrow.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
if you want to check if you do have a pump, you need to lift the carpet under the n/s rear set, then remove the circular metal cover to gain access to the pump/delivery unit.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I cannot help hare and so sorry, that washer has never been used and does not like from a car

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
It is very hard unless we had the washer in our hand, and new what size it is, but looks like a washer that sits under a injector , would be interested to hear if any body agrees with me, as to the engine could be something simple like air in the fuel system. Hope this helps

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes ML270CDI, VW Polo 1.9tdi, BMW K1200RS
My 2002 ML270CDI does NOT have a pump in the fuel tank, i know, i've been there..........in the tank there is a largish plastic 'container' that only has the sender unit inside .......... it looks like it also doubles up as the holder for the electric pump in the petrol version model ML's......

That washer defo isnt an injector seal washer..........it looks to me like possibly something that would sit under or above a valve spring or under a hydraulic adjuster...?....?.............collet washer..?....?.............the shiny finish along the circumference should be a clue.

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
washer = egr valve head?

B

bounceaway

its not a injector washer for sure...on a injector washer its not a perfect inner cut...also looks too big for a ml270 injector.........i agree with collet washer.

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
Hi All. As I have mentioned in previous threads. My 270cdi had a starting problem which nobody could fix (including MB agents), it then progressed to a cutting out problem when idling. They eventually told me the compression was too low, I had this confirmed (Bosh agents & MB) and decided to have the engine opened to check. There didn’t seem to be damage inside the engine but I had the rings and big ends changed and the head done. The engine should be ready to start tomorrow, but as Alex mentioned previously, the sad fact is that the idling problem is likely going to still be there after all of this.:(
I also have a concern about a washer that was left in the parts tray after re-assembling my engine, the mechanic said he checked everywhere (when assembling) but couldn’t find a place for it. He said it could have accidently been added to my engine parts tray at the wash bay but the fact that he showed me does make me nervous, I added a photo of the washer hoping that somebody can tell me if they identify it at all and then save me a lot of extra drama:confused:.
Another thing I found out in the week is that according to the parts guys (MB agents); I do have a pump in the diesel tank. I have been told by just about everybody that worked on the car (Inc MB mechanics that there is no pump in the tank and that both pumps are in front of the engine). I made the guy check (on the system) 3 times and saw the drawing on the system for myself (according to my chassis no.).
Is this true and if so,:idea: could it be the cause of the problems I have experienced????? Really wish I could just get the car running!!!

could it be a washer from the exhaust manifold.

OP
W

wvr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My ML270cdi engine overhaul feedback

:pThanks for the reply’s on my previous thread.

The engine was finally started, It definitely seems smoother and quieter than what it was (I might be trying to convince myself that it wasn’t all for nothing:rolleyes:) but unfortunately, it still cuts out when left to idle (as the rpm comes down to aprox. 850 she stalls as if you turning the key off) I have to crank it a bit (foot flat on the accelerator) to get it started again and then keep the rpm above 1000 to keep it running. I set the rpm up to around 1000(at the throttle cable where it goes into the idling unit), now she idles but when you put your foot on the brake pedal, it seems like the computer disables the idling units signal and wants it to idle at a pre set rpm which she cant do and then stalls. (I must highlight again that she runs perfectly with no stumbling or stuttering and then cuts out abruptly as if you are switching it off – at aprox. 850rpm)

So, its one of two situations, either it has something to do with the breaks?

Or

It is normal for the accelerator outputs/inputs signal to be ignored by the computer when you touch the brakes as a safety feature, making the rpm come down to its default idling speed of around 800 rpm which my car can’t do because of a failing component?

Any comments welcome?

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Getting codes read should identify the problem.

ps.........breaks = 'brakes'

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wonder if the crankshaft position sensor is failing at low revs?.........just a thought

OP
W

wvr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks panason1c for the reply, and spelling lesson (when I hit the brake, she "breaks" :))
The crankshaft position sensor has been changed and no codes are shown except P1661 if I can remember correctly, I think this was an indicator lamp problem (they had the lights disconnected when starting the engine after the overhaul)

Can somebody possibly tell me if the MAF could be the cause and where does it sit?

Thanks
Warrick

Last edited:

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
the maf sits in the piping just in front of the airbox, try unplugging it and see if any difference.....

OP
W

wvr

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have noticed a small sensor (about 3cm long) towards the outlet of the air cooler (If you stand in front of the car it is to the right of the radiator/air cooler). I once pulled it out, it has a small plastic like skeleton with a thin wire running along both sides, is that it?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is normal for the accelerator outputs/inputs signal to be ignored by the computer when you touch the brakes as a safety feature, making the rpm come down to its default idling speed of around 800 rpm which my car can’t do because of a failing component?

this is correct.

what is the situation with air bubbles in the clear pipes when running - especially just after the lift pump?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
P1661 relates to a fault with the engine malfunction indicator lamp in the dashboard cluster. She doesn't have the bulb removed??

Sadly you cannot fool the ecu by winding the idle speed up at the cable. They are a bit too smart for that. When you touch the brake, it thinks you are pressing both pedals, so ignores the throttle reading and reverts to idle.

I'm afraid I have nothing new to offer on the stalling - I will ponder it a while for you...

What pressure do you have in the rail at 1000rpm, and just as it stalls??

Last edited:

panason1c

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have you had an injector leak off test done?.........i'm wondering if one of the injectors is faulty and causing a drop in rail pressure at low revs.

Also, possibly a faulty pressure sensor which is located at the end of the common rail.?

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom