A sense of sense of deja vu, baffles in petrol tank now gone.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Well hopefully my car is all sorted out now, Bassie came to mine and worked his magic, he was very guarded about what he does, which I guess is understandable or word would soon get around and he would be out of that line of work. I know he drilled some holes in the tank but I couldn't see what else he did but I believe he inserted a couple of rods to secure the baffle before resealing the tank. What I definitely know is that there is no more clanking nose from the petrol tank and he guarantees the work for 7 years. A really nice guy so if anyone else suffers from this problem here's the link - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes...rentrq:96dae23e1620ad790b200e54fffe3a55|iid:1

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Glad you got sorted but drilling a hole in the tank???! Then sealed with 2 pac chewing gum? :)

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Glad you got sorted but drilling a hole in the tank???! Then sealed with 2 pac chewing gum? :)

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I guess he must have some way of sealing it properly, I maybe just old skool.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none

I honestly don't know what it was sealed with but he gives a 7 year guarantee and there's not a whiff of petrol in the car or the boot. I think this is identical to a procedure I'd read about being used on Benz World, although I believe a lot of people have used the spring on the sender unit method that would worried me more. Springs lose tension and I'm sure it must stress the sender unit drilling a hole in it and attaching a spring to it.
I realise utopia would be a brand new tank or removing the existing tank, cutting it open, welding it up and putting it back in but Martin has been very understanding, far more than most dealers, and it would be completely unrealistic for me to expect either given the cost of either.
I know as a very reputable garage yourselves you would advise to go down the route of a new tank pleased but I pleased with the result. Martin has been a true gentleman and I'm not an unreasonable person, today's work has obviously put a dent in his profit which I feel bad about as he has to make a living, so I think it was the best solution for both of us.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I'm sure ours was the spring repair type, it has lasted over 18,000mls so far :) All the pictures are on the dead hard drive though, but I do know there was some drilling and a discussion on the chap who did your car, so it could be a similar repair but without a spring maybe?
Glad it's sorted for you.
We would drive with a full or empty tank everywhere but after a while it got to be a pain in the butt listening to the bonging behind you when between 1/4 and 3/4 of fuel in the tank :rolleyes:
I wont tell you how much it cost us to have sorted ;)

ninjamagic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 - 2004
Well -- It looks like I now have the same problem -- most of the time my music is way louder than the sound back there -- but there is something definitely rattling around in there.

What solutions are there? £400 seems like a lot of cash for a mystery solution. And a fuel tank replacement seems a little extravagant.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Well -- It looks like I now have the same problem -- most of the time my music is way louder than the sound back there -- but there is something definitely rattling around in there.

What solutions are there? £400 seems like a lot of cash for a mystery solution. And a fuel tank replacement seems a little extravagant.

I guess it depends on how bad the rattle is and how much it annoys you, in comparison to the cost of a new tank £400 is a bargain and despite him being secretive as to exactly how he does it I'm happy with the fact that I no longer have an annoying rattle every time I move off or back up.
Secretive he may have been, and I can understand that to be fair otherwise he'd being doing himself out of work, but he was also very professional and polite and did it in a very timely manner so I would happily recommend him to anyone with the same problem. :)

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

If you can contact Jameson1 on here, he did ours and as I said it has lasted 18,000mls so far.
He was last on in January so not sure if he is still around, but worth a try. He was in Suffolk.
Unfortunately I don't have his number anymore as it was lost when my phone failed.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
If you can contact Jameson1 on here, he did ours and as I said it has lasted 18,000mls so far.
He was last on in January so not sure if he is still around, but worth a try. He was in Suffolk.
Unfortunately I don't have his number anymore as it was lost when my phone failed.

Bugger looks like I missed that boat as I'm in Suffolk, oh well all is good now. :)

ninjamagic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 - 2004
I'm close to Suffolk. Does anybody have contact details for Jameson1?

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
This fix has been around a while and someone I know also had it done. Apparently all you need is a piece of rod with a hook on it. The holes drilled are in the loose baffle and the tank sender unit. You then attach the baffle to the tank sender. Or so the principal goes. No actual drilling of the tank. I found a document in German on the net which I have had translated into english and that how it is explained.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's why Jameson1 charges very little for his service ;)

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
This fix has been around a while and someone I know also had it done. Apparently all you need is a piece of rod with a hook on it. The holes drilled are in the loose baffle and the tank sender unit. You then attach the baffle to the tank sender. Or so the principal goes. No actual drilling of the tank. I found a document in German on the net which I have had translated into english and that how it is explained.

Well I know he didn't attach anything to the sender unit as that's one thing I did see was him pick it up and put it back in and he'd already finished whatever he was doing on the tank. I guess at some point I'll have to see how you get the boot trim out and take a look or myself. There's a guy on Facebook in Stuttgart who also does a baffle repair and he assured me his fix doesn't involve attaching anything to the sender unit either. :)

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Gramey, you'll just have to pull it to bits to see how it works. Just like we did when we were kids :D

ninjamagic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 - 2004
Can anybody offer me a guaranteed solution that's proven and effective?

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can anybody offer me a guaranteed solution that's proven and effective?

You have 3 options; fit a new tank, use the link Gramey posted or wait and see if Jameson1 reappears.
In the mean time keep the tank full or empty as this is what my wife did for a while and it made driving a bit more bearable without the constant bonging going on behind you especially around town ;)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom