A silly idea

BenzChas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 280 2007
I just bought a 2007 SLK280. One thing I don't like about the hardtop is that when it is up, the car looks like a coupe. Convertibles with a soft top still look like a convertible when the top is up. I will never do this but I had an idea. Cover the roof with a vinyl top. I think the contrast in colours would look better. The car looks a little boring as a coupe of all one color.

OP
B

BenzChas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 280 2007
https://www.slkworld.com/attachments/img_9875-jpg.165713/

Hey Chas, as crazy as it sounded, I think it actually looks OK in the link above. It would certainly make it stand out.
Yes. That is what I am talking about. I remember many years ago. A small used car dealer would do that. One of those tiny street corner lots. He would add a vinyl top and mark them up. No idea if he did sell them but I liked how they stood out. Some of them had a pattern to the vinyl. I liked how they looked.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
When i first read this post I thought god NO!
But after seeing the pic,
it actually looks OK. :)

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
I still wear flares.

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
TBH Chas, this looks like a pretty easy job for the DIYer, I would not want to attempt a vinyl cover, but some of my friends have got very "creative" with vinyl when we go on tour together and it worked well.

My friends all had no issues removing the vinyl either> potential for damage to paint is one thing that has always put me off the idea - i.e. when the vinyl comes off - does it damage the paint? However, I have no idea if that is still a risk like it used to be in the early days.

For the small cost of vinyl wrap you could have a go with little risk or cost. After all it is just the A pillar, B pillar, roof, and if you have pano even less roof to do.

Peterbrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 CDI AMG Sport Shooting Brake 20136
OP do you mean a vinyl wrap roof or a cloth vinyl roof as in 1970s, the former you would get the roof wrapped for £200/400 dunno about cloth vinyl I would guess about £1000 and not removable if you change your mind without damage to the roof. I have wrapped hundreds of vehicles over the years and if you use a professional there should be no damage to paintwork.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Wouldn't go for a vinyl roof, but I would certainly consider a Wrap. :cool: :)

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Funny it was the Coupe top up look that attracted me to the hard top convertible. Best of both worlds a convertible top down and a nice secure dry coupe in the winter.

In fact it is one of the reasons I am still holding onto my SL, the thought of a leaky drafty soft top that looks like it has a cheap plastic roof bolted on puts me off, I guess it is all subjective....

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
I just bought a 2007 SLK280. One thing I don't like about the hardtop is that when it is up, the car looks like a coupe. Convertibles with a soft top still look like a convertible when the top is up. I will never do this but I had an idea. Cover the roof with a vinyl top. I think the contrast in colours would look better. The car looks a little boring as a coupe of all one color.
Do make enquiries to determine if the additional layer on the roof will not impact the mechanism or sensors in any adverse way.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Funny it was the Coupe top up look that attracted me to the hard top convertible. Best of both worlds a convertible top down and a nice secure dry coupe in the winter.

In fact it is one of the reasons I am still holding onto my SL, the thought of a leaky drafty soft top that looks like it has a cheap plastic roof bolted on puts me off, I guess it is all subjective....

You need a 129.
Best of all worlds.

Funnily enough the canvas roof doesn't leak, unlike the hardtop.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
You need a 129.
Best of all worlds.

Funnily enough the canvas roof doesn't leak, unlike the hardtop.
No happy with the R231, no leaks at all or wind noise up to triple figures, us tbe roof rigidity helps handling.

OP
B

BenzChas

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 280 2007
OP do you mean a vinyl wrap roof or a cloth vinyl roof as in 1970s, the former you would get the roof wrapped for £200/400 dunno about cloth vinyl I would guess about £1000 and not removable if you change your mind without damage to the roof. I have wrapped hundreds of vehicles over the years and if you use a professional there should be no damage to paintwork.
I was thinking of the permanent version. I have heard of wraps but was not thinking of that. A wrap sounds better. If it will work. Could even get some crazy ones like Sausage showed. But just for the top. I have no idea how removable they are. This is a 15 year old car and will not go up in value. I bought it as a "toy" and if i muck it up. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, the hard top is better than a soft top. Does not need to be replaced periodically and is quieter.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom