Adding Nextbase DAB

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
If you have an AUX in then yes, otherwise you will need a spare frequency on your radio to tune into. I have an AUX in on my SL so happy days as this apparently gives the best sound quality.

I do but need a plug to do it, tried it into the glovebox socket and it didn't recognise it

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I do but need a plug to do it, tried it into the glovebox socket and it didn't recognise it
Does the socket work? It's just a line in on my SL so nothing fancy. I just need to select AUX in on my COMAND.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Does the socket work? It's just a line in on my SL so nothing fancy. I just need to select AUX in on my COMAND.

Yes, I have a usb stick plugged into it

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Is this plugged straight into the back of the COMAND unit?
No, I have an Ipod interface and I bought the 3.5mm jack to ipod interface cable from ebay for £5.49.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No, I have an Ipod interface and I bought the 3.5mm jack to ipod interface cable from ebay for £5.49.

I have one of those, it didn't recognise it but was not on AUX, will try that

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I have one of those, it didn't recognise it but was not on AUX, will try that
Mine didn't recognise it until I selected AUX, thought my cable was dodgy to start with.

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The AUX in is a 3.5mm socket, not a USB.
On quite a few the 3.5mm socket is removed to fit the iPod interface. You then need a 3.5mm socket to iPod interface lead. You then have to select Aux on the Comand. You’d think using the iPod interface it would come up under media but it doesn’t.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Received my DAB adaptor today and having a play on the workbench. I have had the unit powered for about an hour but the unit is still saying battery low when it powers off, the battery icon indicates that it is charging but surely after an hour the battery shouldn't still be low. Other than that everything else is working very well.

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Received my DAB adaptor today and having a play on the workbench. I have had the unit powered for about an hour but the unit is still saying battery low when it powers off, the battery icon indicates that it is charging but surely after an hour the battery shouldn't still be low. Other than that everything else is working very well.
Battery is only there to hold the memory and drops off after a couple of seconds of the ignition being switched off

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Battery is only there to hold the memory and drops off after a couple of seconds of the ignition being switched off
Thanks. Further testing and the battery is now showing a charge and the low battery warning has gone. Clearly it takes a while for a dead battery to start charging.

I note that there is an "auto power off" setting that can keep the device working for up to 20 minutes after power is removed.

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks. Further testing and the battery is now showing a charge and the low battery warning has gone. Clearly it takes a while for a dead battery to start charging.

I note that there is an "auto power off" setting that can keep the device working for up to 20 minutes after power is removed.
As mine is from the 12V socket that is ignition powered it switches on and off with the key and audio is pretty much instantaneous which is nice :)

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
Am toying with fitting something similar into our QQ as the head unit has started playing up on certain (and favourite) FM frequencies., which is really really odd (and annoying)

I thinks there is an Aux in next to the USB Aux in hidden within the centre arm rest box

Am (ahem) working from home tomorrow, so might be able to find a few minutes.....

Positioning of the aerial is, it seems, critical?

OP
Blobcat

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Am toying with fitting something similar into our QQ as the head unit has started playing up on certain (and favourite) FM frequencies., which is really really odd (and annoying)

I thinks there is an Aux in next to the USB Aux in hidden within the centre arm rest box

Am (ahem) working from home tomorrow, so might be able to find a few minutes.....

Positioning of the aerial is, it seems, critical?
Mine is down the A pillar in the windscreen (just below my AMG PL Sticker...:cool:)

Reception is very good (although in the wilds of Derbyshire yesterday there wasn’t a signal for quite awhile)

Generally very good down your way (apart from a 1/4 mile section of the M27 close to the airport)

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
And that bit of the M27 is where I live.....

Though, saying that, the Dab in the MB on Comand, is perfect

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
After bench testing the DAB350BT I am impressed. Reception in my area is very good so I only needed to connect the aerial lead to the unit without using the aerial itself or the earthing lead. Sound quality via the line out is very good. Just need some decent weather so I can install it all into the car.

Larkone

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C219 CLS 320CDI 2008
Fitted a DAB unit to my CLS - Tip: If you have a dashcam make sure you keep the wiring well away from the DAB wiring and aerial. My first attempt at the install didn't and the dashcam electrics killed the DAB signal. Refitted all of the wiring well away from each other and the signal returned.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Fitted a DAB unit to my CLS - Tip: If you have a dashcam make sure you keep the wiring well away from the DAB wiring and aerial. My first attempt at the install didn't and the dashcam electrics killed the DAB signal. Refitted all of the wiring well away from each other and the signal returned.
Unfortunately most dashcams are supplied with terrible cheap power adapters, I have had to replace all my various dashcam power adaptors over the years due to them killing the DAB signal.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom