Advice on an S-Class

enygmauk

Reaction score
Hiya Folks...

First and foremost, this is my first post to this forum so please be gentle :rolleyes:

I'm considering buying an S-Class, and I've spotted one at the top end of my budget that looks like a good deal.. It's in excellent condition, '51 plate S320 with Sat-Nav/Command, memory seats etc etc... but it's done 65,000 miles..

It has a good service history, and is due a B in 10,000 miles (if anyone has a rought guide on cost for this it would be appreciated, both indie and stealer). I'm just a little concerned about how many miles it's done.. I've seen others at around 40,000 miles that seem a little more appealing, but they don't have a few of the toys...

Any advice would be appreciated as to whether or not this is worth a consideration..

Steve

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi & Welcome,

Firstly is this petrol or a diesel? If petrol it should be very cheap.
There have been issues with S class gearbox, radiator and suspension. Non of these are cheap and go into the ££££'s
B service at a dealer is ~£450 however that is for the service there are invariably quite a few advisories which can easily double the cost.
At 65K miles it will probably be due a set of pads and discs. It could also do with a gearbox oil change.
Personally I would not go for one at the top of my budget as it leaves no slack for the almost inevitable. Also the post 03 S class does not have the same issues as the previous ones. The car looks almost the same they just fixed a few issues.

Slaphead

Reaction score
My 00 S Calss has 116+k on it and drives like new. It needs a new front shock but other than that it's fine. But the point about it being at top of your budget with no room for those little things that always have to be done is a good one.

Slaphead

Reaction score
My 00 S Calss has 116+k on it and drives like new. It needs a new front shock but other than that it's fine. But the point about it being at top of your budget with no room for those little things that always have to be done is a good one.

OP
E

enygmauk

Reaction score
Blobcat said:
Personally I would not go for one at the top of my budget as it leaves no slack for the almost inevitable.

A fair point indeed, and to be truthful it's at the top of what I'm 'prepared' to spend rather than what I can afford. I forgot to mention that it's a petrol, and that it comes with 6 months warrenty...

Thanks for the info though!

Steve

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Since you say it has a 6 month warranty I'm guessing your not buying from a MB dealer (They give a 12 month warranty to all used with less than 100K miles). Therefore I would just raise a note of caution, non MB warranties have fallen short quiet a few times for various issues. Things not covered when you thought they would be and the warranty company not prepared to pay MB prices to have the vehicle fixed.

OP
E

enygmauk

Reaction score
Then I shall take your advice and perhaps steer clear..

Thanks for all the info guys!

Steve

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just had a look for a few and they are ~£10,000 for a 2001 S320 Petrol, they were ~£50,000 new. An awful lot of car for the money, however it should still be looked at as a £50K car with all the running costs that entails.
I'm not trying to scare you off as IMHO once you try one you will not settle for anything less. Just trying to paint the full picture.

Top Bottom