Advice on buying a C220 please

T

The Other One

Hi there.

I'm looking at getting a Mercedes C220 and will be looking at a C220 CDI Classic SE 4dr Auto Diesel Saloon at the weekend.

It's covered 74,000 mls and I'm told it's in good condition.

Can you guys give me any advice on what to look for, any cam belts or major servicing that's needed about this mileage too.

I don't know much about Mercedes engines. Does the C220 CDI have timing belt or chain?

Are there any service manuals available? I like to do my own service work.
Are spares limited to Mercedes only or are there aftermarket spares available?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Paul.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
No cambelts on MBs so no worries there.

Check the injectors for black death! Common issue. When you drive the car drive over some bumps to check for any knocks from the suspension. And check the body for rust.

Apart from that they are cracking cars.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
timing chain on that engine. stick to genuine MB or OEM parts for filters. other parts, price check between MB and pattern parts.

depending on the year of the car, check for rust around the wheelarches (sorry i cant remember the cut off date but somewhere around 2004/5 i think) and also check around the injectors for the well documented 'black death', which a search on here will bring up HOURS of reading on the subject

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
First question - what breed (age) of C220? W203, W203 facelift, W204, W204 facelift? At 74k miles it could be any of the above, and there are different questions for each.

For example - W203 1999-2003 - rust, these were not galvanised until 2nd Q 2003 so wheel arches, door bottoms prone to rust. W204BE - injector problems on the early ones.

More detail please, then this forum can give excellent advice (as I know to my benefit!!).

OP
T

The Other One

The C220 I'm looking at is a late 2004 registered car. I think it's a W203 facelift model from the wiki info.

Just noticed I didn't add the age to the description earlier!! :rolleyes:

Is it easy to check the injectors without removing bits of the car? Does the engine cover come off easily with / without tools

Thanks for the replies so far.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
the facelifted model has the round speedo etc whereas the pre facelift has the big 'semi circle' one. the top engine cover has to come off. 4 torx bolts i believe, on the facelift version, 6 on the pre facelift if i remember correctly, then just look down the injector holes in the head (with a torch if necessary) looking for a black tar like substance around the injectors

OP
T

The Other One

From the pics I have seen it's got round dials, so a facelift version I guess.

Any idea what size the torx screws are?
The car has FSH, but that doesn't mean it hasn't got black death setting in. I've just been doing some research into this......messy by the looks of things!!

This is the one I'm going to look at.....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201218468491673/sort/default/usedcars/body-type/saloon/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/fuel-type/diesel/transmission/automatic/price-from/4000/price-to/5000/model/c_class/make/mercedes-benz/postcode/me102tu/radius/100/page/1?logcode=p

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Do the EGR mod,,, that should keep it away

OP
T

The Other One

Oh well, won't be looking at that one now. Dealer called today to say he'd sold it this morning!!!! :(

The search continues!!

Are the petrol engines really on averaging 34mpg for a similar spec'd vehicle?
Can I believe the autotrader fuel consumption figures?

ardaelius

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c class 2010 2.1 diesel four door w204 c250 cdi blue eff sport
may i put in my two pennyworth, question, "are you a AA member or R A C"? if either have them give it the once over, it may cost a few bob, it could be worth it.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You do realise you’ve replied to a 6 year old post ?

Top Bottom