Advice on first Mercedes purchase... - What are the possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor

Reaction score
Hello,
I have been "lurking" on this and the tech board for a while now trying to gather info on the W129 type 500SL(1989-1993).
This will be my first Mercedes and would like to know what problems I could expect. Has this model got any "known" faults etc? Any current owners got any advice on what to look out for before and after purchase?
Would it be similar to other 5.0 V8 mercedes(1990+) in terms of maintenance/running costs?
Also are there any garages in and around london that MB Owners can recommend or do you guys make the trip up to Andy's for servicing and the like?

Sorry for all the questions guys(and girls :) ) but 2 of the 3 SL's I looked at this week were very tired(read: Knackered) so I would be gratful for the help in getting a good one.
Thanks,
Trevor.

Merc

Reaction score
Advice on first Mercedes purchase...

Hi Trevor

I just rid of mine,(500se,89'),mind you I only had about 2 months,but in that 2 mts,my god!!.
If the price of the parts dont get you,the fuel bills will!,about town (not being heavy footed) you should see about 13/15 ish mpg,cruising 25 ish,but when you "boot it",whay hay,does it go!,for such a heavy car it can still shift.
Mine needed door locks (just the barrels,front) they were £100 each+vat (I didnt get them),I also replaced all the ht's,suppressors Dizzy cap & rotor to a grand sum of £470,all that to cure a ****** miss fire.
The suppressors each are £22,just what Iv'e mentioned alone was enough to scare the pants off me,never mind the "juice".But then again if can buy a car like that,then I suppose Merc expect you to be able to afford to repair it!.
I run (well I'll rephrase that,cause I just swaped it for a 230e with a blown head gasket,and no I didnt know that at the time) I'm trying to run a 230e,and its alot better on everything,mind you I'd **** myself to think what a head gasket would a the 500!!.
But really all I'd say is its a lovely big car,very luxurious and if you can afford it (no offence intended), go for it!!
Try and get a FSH as you know it pays in the long run,but like I say go for it,sit back,cruise & enjoy.

Regards

OP
T

Trevor

Reaction score

Thanks for that.
My main concern is how long a 1990 500SL can keep going till something expensive breaks ;)
Having looked around there seems to be no list of known faults etc, when comparing to other cars they always tend to have certain faults to look out for(i.e 300ZX Twin Turbos have weak auto boxes), but not the W129(or am I not looking hard enough!).
Merc how do you find the performance difference between your old 500se and your 230e?(I take it you did it a bit before the head gasket blew!!)
Trev

Merc

Reaction score

Na' the gasket had already gone,the bastard just didnt tell me,and I didnt how to check it,I do now!.
mind you its the last thing thought of I checked for everything else,but as it turn out the thing i didnt check for is one of the most expensive (well for me).
Performance wise 'mmm' night/day,I mean the 500's got something like 260hp compared to 142 I think!,I'll check my manual,well there you have one serious down grade for me eh!

regards

Anonymous

Reaction score

Try Mercedesshop.com & use the search facility-they run a fair number of them out there.
regards
Ernest

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com

Hi Trevor

There is nothing really you could say is a common problem on the 129. The engine is completly different to "Merc" the 129 having the 119 engine fitted which is a four valve per cylinder job. The engine is extremely powerfull. If it hasn't been played around with should be extremely reliable. Look for cars that look the part and have the history to back it up.

Regards

Andy @ www.mercedeservcing.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom