Advice please on potential purchase of an SLK230 roadster.

macker64

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 W210 300 Td & 1991 W124 300CE 24V & 2001 W210 320CDI & W210 E200 1992 W124 300ce 24v sportline
Would like to hear from any members who have experience of these hardtop convertibles.

The one in question has 75k on the clock with a full documented service history and was manufactured in 2002.

From some initial reading on this excellent forum it would appear the roof control module (relay and positional switches ) give problems and not a lot else!!

Please share your thoughts!!

Regards, :D

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
Early problems on R170 SLKs were mostly sorted with the introduction of the facelift in 2000.

As you suggest, the roof can give problems but these are by no means common. Microswitches occasionally give trouble but this is usually due to lack of use. (Why buy that fantastic roof and then never use it?). Make sure that on any car you're looking at it goes up and down without problem - it should take about 25 secs. Don't be afraid to operate it several times.

First generation SLKs were made during the Mercedes 'lets get the cars out - don't worry about quality' era. Nowadays rust is a common, although not usually major, problem. The patch under the boot release is almost a given - it'll be unusual to find a car without it. Wheel arch corrosion, front and rear, can also be apparent.

Check for water in the headlamp units. This is not uncommon but fortunately quite easy to cure. Water in the car can also be a problem. Inside the car it is probably leaks around the roof seals. Treating these with a silicone grease should be a priority, even if there are no signs of leaks (yet). Inside the boot it's more likely to be blocked drains. Check that the small grilles in the upper corners of the boot gulley are clear of debris.

A minor irritant, common to many Mercedes, is that because the car is usually locked and unlocked remotely on the plip, the key locks seize up. Worth checking that the doors and boot locks can still be operated with the key if necessary.

There are a few problems specific to the 230 Kompressor engine which I'm sure others more qualified than I will comment on.

Otherwise - good luck - they're a great drive!

Kylinski

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK R170 230 (2001)
My 2001 SLK has clocked 77k and drives SiLKy smooth and quiet (see what I did there?)
Also has service history but not all main dealer
The tip auto box is an absolute joy.

Mine is suffering the boot lock rust but doesnt effect its function.
Also had to have the rear wheel arches sorted.

The PSE pump has been replaced on mine. A common fault apparantly. I seem to have become very familiar with the workings of the PSE pump these past months!

Otherwise, the best car Ive owned. I love my SLK :D

superharrio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SLK 230
My 2002 SLK has done 60k, drives very well and looks very nice.

I spent about a grand after I got it; on a service, waxoyl, some minor paint/corrosion jobs, bonnet respray, ATF renewal, track rod end and most importantly a stereo upgrade ;)

No running probs. Would I buy it again? Yes!

lexington013

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 CLK 230 kompressor Avantgarde 6 speed manual with loads of factory options!
Just bought one off ebay, T plate for £2200. A little toy for sundays run. Missed having a merc but looking forward to the return.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom