Advice, please, re buying S-class, 2010 or so or newer

Roy Gardiner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl55 (sold, looking for S-class)
There are so many models and options, so much technology, that I am stuck for choice.

- Budget to a max of maybe 35k
- Objectives are smoothness and quietness rather than outright performance
- No diesels
- Petrol consumption not really an issue, my annual mileage is not high.
- I am influenced by technology - is magic body control (for just one example) worth insisting upon? Recommendations on desirable tech features welcomed!

I find it difficult to work out which model's got what, and there are as well so many options. I'm not sure retailers always list them correctly. Is there any way to find a definitive feature list for a car, from its reg no for instance? Or some other database with feature vs. year introduced? Or summat?

Any and all help appreciated.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Download MB Vin Decoder for your phone and when looking at a vehicle use the decoder to verify the spec.
Magic ride is amazing technology with the ability to look ahead and set the suspension so it smooths the ride.
Engine wise the 500 is probably the one to go for.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I have a E350CDI if I was to change it I would go for a S class fantastic cars, £35K is going to get you a very nice one, with the 500 engine as LK suggests. Take your time there are plenty out there, I am sure you will find what you want.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As above really- one thing to be careful of is ( and common to many), sky rocket miles disguised. Not that high miles will worry these cars just you don’t want to pay over the odds....
As a potential example
https://www.motors.co.uk/car-56591621/?i=1&m=spw
This looks excellent at first glance and may be genuine enough, but look at the tyres! Who would stick a ditchfinder on a car like that? 9k miles, really?
500 or even 600 would be a nice aim ...
Good luck, you’ll get a cracker with that budget...

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
Which one is the ditch finder the Bridgestone, Hankook or Yokohama??

OP
R

Roy Gardiner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl55 (sold, looking for S-class)
Download MB Vin Decoder for your phone
Aha, that's what I was after, thank you. I wonder how likely it is I'll get the VIN from a retailer before I go to see the car :) I'll have to try that.

I've googled getting the VIN from the reg no and got several hints, none of which work any more. Is there a way to do it, please? I'm guessing not due to GDPR.

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Which one is the ditch finder the Bridgestone, Hankook or Yokohama??
The Advan sub Yokohama brand I’m told is less than useful... also the mixture - who changes tyre brands across the car in 9k? Very dodgy imo

Mark A

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
58 ML-320CDI.
The mix is indeed odd, at least 1 axle where it is mixed.

was just curious which one in particular you were referring to.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The Advan sub Yokohama brand I’m told is less than useful... also the mixture - who changes tyre brands across the car in 9k? Very dodgy imo
If it’s spent it time in the smoke with potholes and traffic calming it could easily have had a few damaged and flat tyres.
Should have decent tyres in though...
Tyre condition and make is one of my assessments of the previous owners maintenance (or lack of).
When I sold my VW Caravelle it had 5 almost new Michelin’s on with the correct load rating. There’s not many 10 year old vehicles still on premium rubber.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Wouldn't be hard to wear out a rear pair in 9K with that sort of power. But yes I would have expected a decent pair to replace them.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
There are plenty out there just remember MB franchises have the best examples everything else needs extra vigilance I’d certainly want all the history of that car and to know why it hasn’t been fitted with premium tyres all round - my motto is that if things don’t seem right walk. I remember looking for a Mk6 Fiesta for a family member and viewing a similar low mileage car with an interesting mix of front end tyres which on further investigation it was apparent the front end had seen bodywork repair just sat waiting for some unsuspecting soul to buy, I won’t be visiting that dealer again

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
What about a 2013/14 CL500 , unless of course you need the other 2 doors ?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom