Advice, please, re buying S-class, 2010 or so or newer

OP
R

Roy Gardiner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl55 (sold, looking for S-class)
Hmm. The advert says 'magic body control' but the data from the VIN (using lastVIN.com) says '487 ABC SUSPENSION (ACTIVE BODY CONTROL) ' and no mention of 'MAGIC'. Wikipedia says the two are different. What, please, am I missing?
Sometimes the Vin Decoders don't show the latest incarnation of that code - As an example MB will use the same code for a stereo upgrade, it could be BOSE or Burmeister or HK depending upon the model year.
Of 3 cars I've got VINs for now, all have ABC, only one claims to have Magic Body Control in its advert. Do all latest-model cars with ABC also have Magic Body Control? Surely not, MBC is an option, isn't it?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
no expert but I thought Magic Body Control was just ABC with a forward sensor which anticipates bumps?
The petrol versioned cars I believe ABC standard but MBC as an option....

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
no expert but I thought Magic Body Control was just ABC with a forward sensor which anticipates bumps?
The petrol versioned cars I believe ABC standard but MBC as an option....
Pretty much correct John. Certainly does a great job of smoothing out bumps.
The advert was brilliant:

Though arguably Jaguars response was better...

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
Very fine commercials, both. The jaguar adds wit.

OP
R

Roy Gardiner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Great commercials indeed!

So the ad for the 500 says it has MBC, looking up the VIN just says ABC. I'm blowed if I know where that leaves me, short of going to see the car. I want to do as much as possible from my keyboard, I've been to see too many misrepresented cars before.

Again, thanks all for helping an obvious newbie to the Mercedes S world.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Hmm. The advert says 'magic body control' but the data from the VIN (using lastVIN.com) says '487 ABC SUSPENSION (ACTIVE BODY CONTROL) ' and no mention of 'MAGIC'. Wikipedia says the two are different. What, please, am I missing?

You can also get a VIN decoder App called "VIN decoder for Mercedes-Benz" it's pretty accurate and it will email you the spec sheets

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Great commercials indeed!

So the ad for the 500 says it has MBC, looking up the VIN just says ABC. I'm blowed if I know where that leaves me, short of going to see the car. I want to do as much as possible from my keyboard, I've been to see too many misrepresented cars before.

Again, thanks all for helping an obvious newbie to the Mercedes S world.
Found this if it helps,seems you need 487 with 997 additional

Attachments

• Magic body control.pdf
    80.3 KB · Views: 5

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Then this which clearly shows 487 being magic body control standard on 500 and 600 models

Attachments

• s-class.pdf
    192 KB · Views: 7

S500 Pete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500 (W222) 2014. Turbo 4.7 V8 with loads of toys. Superfast luxury.
There are so many models and options, so much technology, that I am stuck for choice.

- Budget to a max of maybe 35k
- Objectives are smoothness and quietness rather than outright performance
- No diesels
- Petrol consumption not really an issue, my annual mileage is not high.
- I am influenced by technology - is magic body control (for just one example) worth insisting upon? Recommendations on desirable tech features welcomed!

I find it difficult to work out which model's got what, and there are as well so many options. I'm not sure retailers always list them correctly. Is there any way to find a definitive feature list for a car, from its reg no for instance? Or some other database with feature vs. year introduced? Or summat?

Any and all help appreciated.

Engine wise my 500 is fantastic, silky smooth and with a real surge when you want it. Supposedly 0-60 in 4.5 seconds but I have never checked. An S class is about relaxed high speeds and easy overtaking rather than track type performance. The 63 sounds fantastic but I have never felt short of power in the 500 and don't really want extra exhaust noise or the cost of AMG parts.

Every S seems to be unique because they are all specified by the original buyers and what is essential for one person doesn't matter for another. Best to set a list of features that you don't want to be without and stick to it. There seem to be a lot of diesels around due to the chauffeur/ posh taxi market and a lot of these have lots of extras in the back (TV screens etc) to cater for passengers but less aimed at the driver.

Whichever one you end up with I am sure you will love it. I really miss not being able to get out for a decent run in mine, when we go out I enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
stopping it is the bigger trick...ask @alexanderfoti

Yes that is the issue! That and the fact that 110mph is straight up on the speedometer, where 70-80 would be on other MBs......

If smooth and quiet is your main aim, go for a W222 S600 with MBC, All S600's have it as standard. Lots at good money now and they are sublime.

Go for lower mileage, running costs are higher on the v12's than others, but all are fairly high compared to a smaller diesel engined model.

OP
R

Roy Gardiner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The 63 sounds fantastic but I have never felt short of power in the 500 and don't really want extra exhaust noise or the cost of AMG parts.
Engine wise my 500 is fantastic, silky smooth and with a real surge when you want it. Supposedly 0-60 in 4.5 seconds
I definitely do not want exhaust noise, and the sub 5 second 0-60 of the S500 is more than enough for me! But...
If smooth and quiet is your main aim, go for a W222 S600 with MBC, All S600's have it as standard
...the idea of a V12 appeals (I had a Daimler Double Six for many years). The trouble is that the S500 listed above is £25k and an S 600 in the latest model range is around £45k. Some difference!

Once again, thanks to everyone for feedback. All advice appreciated (for instance, I'm sold on Magic Body Control after seeing the video above).

Top Bottom