After diesel gate - diesel or petrol Mercedes?

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
Yes, that's an average of 43 mpg mentioned which my husband thought was about right.

I'll check out What car, thanks for that.
I didn't find anything for 2004 models but it seemed difficult to search.
Good luck anyway

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Thanks for that. A dealer thought ours would be a Euro 4. I'll have to see if I can find out where I can check it properly.
2004 will be euro 3 or 4 (your current car) MB started to comply with the Euro 5 regs sometime late 2009/early 2010 with the 'bluefficiency' diesels (which in the 4 cylinder diesel engines I believe coincided with the swap from the OM646 engine to the OM651) so if you are looking at a 2014 car it will certainly be Euro 5.

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
2004 will be euro 3 or 4 (your current car) MB started to comply with the Euro 5 regs sometime late 2009/early 2010 with the 'bluefficiency' diesels (which in the 4 cylinder diesel engines I believe coincided with the swap from the OM646 engine to the OM651) so if you are looking at a 2014 car it will certainly be Euro 5.

Thanks, turbopete. I've checked and it seems our car is Euro 3. We hadn't realised a 2014 was Euro 5, but you are absolutely right so we will need to either bump up our budget, or buy something else.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
euro 5 was compulsory from 2015 onwards IIRC so if the 205 was launched in 2014, its possible they will all be compliant. ive read somewhere that the Mondeo in the shape I have was euro 5 compliant with a DPF from its launch in 2007, so if the 205 has the adblue tank, it will be euro 6 compliant

Simon Barry

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 215
Not sure if this belongs here, but I couldn't see anywhere else for it. Hopefully one of the admins will move it if necessary :confused:

My husband does a lot of miles, much of it motorway but also city driving, and really loves his C220 CDi. Unfortunately, it's become quite poorly and we're considering selling/scrapping it. The question is do we stick with the diesel engine which has been incredibly cost effective for us in terms of mpg's, or switch to a petrol engine which will be more expensive to run.

As we are looking at potentially buying a 2/3 year old car, both will be Euro 6 but there's still the super fine particles to worry about and the government do seem to be very anti diesel so it wouldn't surprise me if any all diesel cars incur penalties at some point.

We've read several articles about diesel vs petrol, the bottom falling out of the diesel market, penalties for diesel cars and so forth and wondered what people on this forum thought of the situation and whether they'll be sticking with their diesels or switching when buying another Mercedes.

I was also wondering whether Mercedes would offer some kind of conversion option to switch from diesel to another fuel in the event it becomes a real problem going forward.

Apologies if the question has been discussed on the forum previously. I did check, but couldn't find anything :)

The point to consider among others is that cities are poised to start charging diesels (Not specific on Euro standard)
for entering. When one does it, others will follow.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
The point to consider among others is that cities are poised to start charging diesels (Not specific on Euro standard)
There was also a suggestion that we could see a £2.00 litre of diesel. Those two points were the things that made me decide Petrol this time. :)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There was also a suggestion that we could see a £2.00 litre of diesel

cant see that to be honest. it would obliterate even the largest haulage companies in the UK. about 15 years ago Eddie Stobart had around 900 HGVs registered in Belgium (with the biggest fuel tanks available at about 1000 litres each) so they could fill up, come to the UK, do their jobs and get back to the continent (diesel lots cheaper, at the time) without having to refuel! (this was told to me by a guy who was 1 of their drivers at the time)
either haulage companies would all do this, or the haulage would end up in the hands of people like the poles who, upon entering the UK had driven non stop for so long, used to BEG to be 'impounded' for a night or 2 (at the time, I spoke to quite a few of them as I was on 7.5 tonners from some of the same depots)

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi

Good point, Simon. I would also imagine that one cities start charging, the it will not be too long before the bigger towns charge in order to bring in more revenue and so it will go on ...

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
There was also a suggestion that we could see a £2.00 litre of diesel. Those two points were the things that made me decide Petrol this time. :)

What sort of mileage and driving are you doing, and what do you think to the mpg's you're achieving?

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
euro 5 was compulsory from 2015 onwards IIRC so if the 205 was launched in 2014, its possible they will all be compliant. ive read somewhere that the Mondeo in the shape I have was euro 5 compliant with a DPF from its launch in 2007, so if the 205 has the adblue tank, it will be euro 6 compliant

Just re-read your post and see that you've got a Mondeo. We've test driven various cars including the Mondeo and much preferred it to the Insignia. Would love to hear your thoughts on it, the drive, handling, mpg's etc if/when you have a minute.

We've also been looking at hybrid's like the Prius and Auris ... not the most attractive of cars, but they appeal to our inner eco warrior ;)

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
Just re-read your post and see that you've got a Mondeo. We've test driven various cars including the Mondeo and much preferred it to the Insignia. Would love to hear your thoughts on it, the drive, handling, mpg's etc if/when you have a minute.

We've also been looking at hybrid's like the Prius and Auris ... not the most attractive of cars, but they appeal to our inner eco warrior ;)

If you want a good looking car and hybrid look at the Lexus I300. I like it's look anyway and its C Class/Mondeo size.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
If your looking at other cars do try Peugeot particularly the RXH like I have, very high spec hybrid which currently averaged 54mpg over a few thousand miles, had it up 56.8 while driving in Europe a couple of months back.

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
I'm following the debate and announcements with interest. I'd not worry buying a diesel now if I intended to keep it up to about 5yrs... but if you were buying something new/newish and expensive.... and planning to keep 10yrs... then I'd be wary of diesel.

For our part we've just bought a CLK diesel which will stand something over £4k with all the jobs sorted... plan to keep it 5yrs but at that low cost will be OK to change at 3yrs if taxes/regulations move on far faster than expected and it ends up worth peanuts... but I don't think they will change much in that time.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

mine is pretty decent actually. good to drive, comfortable (ive seen me clock up 500 miles in a day without issue) and for a front wheel drive car of this size and weight (its huge compared to a C class) handles pretty well. as my signature shows, ive pretty much always had Fords in my life and having driven a couple of insignias (more from curiousity than anything) you couldn't give me a brand new one in a straight swap for my 6.5 year old 81k mile Mondeo!

MPG wise, I get about 38 on my run to work (about 4 miles) and ive seen 59mpg on a motorway run, 3 adults, 2 kids, boot chocked full of stuff (family holiday) so overall pretty decent on fuel. at current prices, the tank holds between £75 and £80 (depending on how brave you are running it low) and at legal motorway speeds, about 700 miles is achievable on a tank. mine is 6 speed manual (naturally) and 70mph is about 2krpm which helps economy. DPFs aren't really a problem on the 2.0 diesel as unlike the 1.6 and the Peugeot variant of the 2.0, the Ford uses a fuel vapouriser to heat up and burn off the DPF. that said, the vapouriser can fail and short, blowing a fuse in the under bonnet fusebox. a new vapouriser is a dealer only part and around £220 (but can be sourced for less online from dealers) and takes about 20 mins to fit (I did mine yesterday for this exact reason)

the latest version of the Mondeo, I haven't driven yet (2015 onwards, with the Aston Martin style grille) but I'm told its a little less driver focussed and a little soggier than my car (as was the focus, which is getting tweaked for 2018) but I imagine that will be tweaked like the focus, at its mid life facelift. as you like the Prius and Auris, I'm assuming the boot capacity wouldn't be an issue of a little was lost from the Mondeo, which also has a hybrid variant, at a cost of some loss of boot capacity (not massive but it would be a dealbreaker for what I use my car for) which ive yet to hear a negative report on.

mine is the Zetec spec version which, without options has a LIST price of about £22k for its new equivalent. for the money, I am struggling to think of anything new, in that price bracket that's as spacious, drives and handles as well, is as comfortable and economical as the Mondeo. Passat might be as economical but not sure its as well specced or handles as well for the same price, Mazda 6 I'm not sure its as comfortable (but comfort is very subjective) but is very similar in size and looks to the Mondeo.

Equipment wise, they score quite well in my book, for the money. mine has no options at all, but has voice commands (similar to MB linguatronic) which can control most of the car (heating, radio etc) Bluetooth for the phone, Aux socket (later ones had USB stick reader for music) climate control (dual zone) cruise control, speed limiter, steering wheel controls for the radio, heated windscreen, 4 electric windows with electric child locks on the rear doors (works from the window lock switch). ideally id like to add DAB (it was standard on some models, optional on mine) and parking sensors (just because I'm so short I have to GUESS where the ends of the car are!) after that there are always things that are NICE to have, but overall id recommend them to anyone. even the range topping Vignale comes in at under £30k I believe, before options, and theres not much that they HAVENT got!

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
If you want a good looking car and hybrid look at the Lexus I300. I like it's look anyway and its C Class/Mondeo size.

Thanks, geraldrobins. I like the Lexus as well, not sure what my husband thinks. One of our neighbours has one so I'll ask him about it, and will also visit a Lexus dealer.

Last edited:
OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
Thanks for the Mondeo review, turbopete. Really helpful.

We looked at the Insignia because I used to work for the company and, in theory at least, would get additional 'partner' discounts. Even with all the alledged discounts, it was very expensive.

I have to confess to having a soft spot for the original Cavalier, and some of the later Vectra models :)

Last edited:

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
What sort of mileage and driving are you doing, and what do you think to the mpg's you're achieving?
I only do 6000 to 7000 miles a year. I think generally I get 35/40 mpg depending on what sort of driving I am doing. Mine has a stop/start gismo, so that probably helps. I have seen 40 point something mpg come up on the trip computer. The thing I like about it is that it is so much quieter :)

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
I'm following the debate and announcements with interest. I'd not worry buying a diesel now if I intended to keep it up to about 5yrs... but if you were buying something new/newish and expensive.... and planning to keep 10yrs... then I'd be wary of diesel.

For our part we've just bought a CLK diesel which will stand something over £4k with all the jobs sorted... plan to keep it 5yrs but at that low cost will be OK to change at 3yrs if taxes/regulations move on far faster than expected and it ends up worth peanuts... but I don't think they will change much in that time.

Thanks, Droverunner. We are considering replacing our C220 CDi Elegance for something like a 2015/16 C200 SE Executive and keeping it for 2-4 years (dependent on my husband's job - he does a lot of motorway commuting at the moment, but that may change in 18-24 months when he may be more local). We can't afford to lose too much on it or it will impact heavily on what we can afford to buy next. In an ideal world, we would like to keep fairly new cars going forward, but that may not be possible.

Top Bottom