After diesel gate - diesel or petrol Mercedes?

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
I only do 6000 to 7000 miles a year. I think generally I get 35/40 mpg depending on what sort of driving I am doing. Mine has a stop/start gismo, so that probably helps. I have seen 40 point something mpg come up on the trip computer. The thing I like about it is that it is so much quieter :)

Thanks, AJD. I know what you mean about the noise. I feel like we are waking up half the neighbourhood when my husband leaves at 5.00am ;)

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
>>>feel like we are waking up half the neighbourhood when my husband leaves at 5.00am

It's like a diesel dawn chorus here around 7.30am... in our cul-de-sac there are 9 diesels and just one petrol (daughters Honda Jazz).

Last edited:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
If you want a good looking car and hybrid look at the Lexus I300. I like it's look anyway and its C Class/Mondeo size.

I think you need to reassess your sizes if you think the Mondeo is the same size as a C class. my 203 and my sisters 204 are as near as matters the same size. the Mondeo is HUGE by comparison. for a laugh (as I got straight from a 203 into a Mondeo) I looked up the dimensions. the Mondeo is 10 inches LONGER than the C class and 15 inches (yes FIFTEEN inches) wider!!!

the Mondeo, size wise, is more a competitor for the E class. especially comparing it to my old 210.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
I think you need to reassess your sizes if you think the Mondeo is the same size as a C class. my 203 and my sisters 204 are as near as matters the same size. the Mondeo is HUGE by comparison. for a laugh (as I got straight from a 203 into a Mondeo) I looked up the dimensions. the Mondeo is 10 inches LONGER than the C class and 15 inches (yes FIFTEEN inches) wider!!!

the Mondeo, size wise, is more a competitor for the E class. especially comparing it to my old 210.
Agreed

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
I think you need to reassess your sizes if you think the Mondeo is the same size as a C class.

Thanks, turbopete and geraldrobins. We were looking at the Mondeo just in terms of 'rivals' for the so called family car market like the Insignia etc. You are right, it is a monster of a car as is the Insignia.

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
If you want a good looking car and hybrid look at the Lexus I300. I like it's look anyway and its C Class/Mondeo size.

We've just been to test drive the Prius, Auris and Lexus IS 300H. My husband is quite sold on the Prius, but if we had the money, we would definitely go for the Lexus although the mpg info we've been able to find suggests that the Prius is the best of the bunch. He's just off to rework his figures!

Last edited:

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
One of our concerns is residual values in a few years when we come to sell the car, particularly if it's diesel.
Given the mileage that your husband does you may as well stick with the diesel for the economy. By the time you come to change the vehicle again it will have little or no value anyway, the same situation you are in now.
The government's proposals are little more than a pledge. If industry cannot keep pace with the proposed changes, bearing in mind it takes an average of 7~8 years for each model change, then the proposals will simply get pushed back.

Look how long it took to get rid of 4* petrol, and that should have been reasonably easy.

Cribbed from the net........

'It took 90 years to eradicate what was always a well-known poison from a product that everyone uses.

The car industry falsely claimed that there were no alternatives to lead, which was more profitable.

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
Given the mileage that your husband does you may as well stick with the diesel for the economy. By the time you come to change the vehicle again it will have little or no value anyway, the same situation you are in now.

Our hope is that we could buy a 2015/16 car with low/average mileage. In a couple of years time it will have an additional 40kk approx miles on it. Do you think that the vehicle will have little value if we were to sell it then?

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Our hope is that we could buy a 2015/16 car with low/average mileage. In a couple of years time it will have an additional 40kk approx miles on it. Do you think that the vehicle will have little value if we were to sell it then?
I incorrectly assumed you were looking longer term than a couple of years.

If have to ask myself is the current vehicle capable of being nursed along for those two years? And what would you be looking to change to after that.

Personally I don't think values will change significantly in two years, the hybrids and electrics are fashionable and trendy but very expensive for what they are. The price will come down of course but i think we're many years away that, and the necessary supporting infrastructure.

Whats the problem with the car you have?

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
I incorrectly assumed you were looking longer term than a couple of years.

Whats the problem with the car you have?

Ideally we'd like to change it in 2-4 years and keep a new-ish car, but I'm not sure if that will work out. We've had our current car from new and would have liked to keep it for another year until this all pans out.

Currently we've got problems with the turbo and/or dpf, ball joint problems, steering rack and leaks from one or more of the injectors. Plus there's run of the mill stuff like it need new rear pads, discs and the air con recharging. It's done 220k+ miles.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Ideally we'd like to change it in 2-4 years and keep a new-ish car, but I'm not sure if that will work out. We've had our current car from new and would have liked to keep it for another year until this all pans out.

Currently we've got problems with the turbo and/or dpf, ball joint problems, steering rack and leaks from one or more of the injectors. Plus there's run of the mill stuff like it need new rear pads, discs and the air con recharging. It's done 220k+ miles.
A good mileage but i don't see anything terminal on that list.

I'll write more later, unfortunately I have to go out.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor

i think you need to speak to an independent like Steve Avante whom is on here somewhere, who will be able to give you a ball park figure on the cost of repairs. The turbo and/or dpf may require some exploration but the rest is standard stuff. Then at least you'll be able to make an informed decision regards the sell or repair question. Your only looking for a budget solution to keep you going, once you have a price you can make that decision.

In brief.......

I don't know much about turbos but if the issue is the dpf then there is a very cheap 'alternative procedure' that will cost little or nothing.

Ball joints wear out, they are an MOT reportable item, change them when your MOT tells you to. I've had a ball joint on my landrover on an advisory for four years, it's not going to drop off.

I'm not sure whats going on with your steering rack but again, it's an MOT item so attend to it when it when MOT tells you to.

Leaking injectors. It's a diesel, injectors have a habit of leaking, there are some simple fixes for these, it looks far worse than it actually is.

Rear pads, and discs. Not stuff we can afford to skimp on but shouldn't cost you the earth at a decent independent.

Aircon. Wind the window down!! (£40 regas, scrap yard for a new compressor if the compressors failed)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
>>>feel like we are waking up half the neighbourhood when my husband leaves at 5.00am

It's like a diesel dawn chorus here around 7.30am... in our cul-de-sac there are 9 diesels and just one petrol (daughters Honda Jazz).
My cul de sac has 12 homes and me in it.....oops guess who's the least popular at 6.30 am?;)

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
i think you need to speak to an independent like Steve Avante whom is on here somewhere, who will be able to give you a ball park figure on the cost of repairs.

Thanks, Arudge. We don't live near Steve Avante unfortunately, but a few people on here have mentioned Wayne Gates in Harrow and we may take the car there. My husband loves the car, but has lost confidence in it.

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
>>>Our hope is that we could buy a 2015/16 car with low/average mileage. In a couple of years time it will have an additional 40kk approx miles on it.

Not being flippant but premium motoring costs... there is no escaping that. Taking a low mileage almost new Mercedes and adding 40k over a couple of years then repeating that (I assume) can be a very expensive way of running a car. You really need to keep them longer.

I have no idea if this is just a commuting/family car or for business where costs are recovered but unless you really want a Mercedes and if it's all coming out of your own pocket there are far cheaper options such as the Mondeo you mentioned... a Skoda Octavia/Superb is another possibility.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
If your doing that sort of mileage you want to be looking at keeping the car for a good 5/6 years in my mind, that's what I did with my previous 211 e-class I used to do around 25k a year and the only reason I changed car was due to needing to keep the car allowance from the company, I did take my time in changing mind.

My 211 went from 58k to 168k when I sold it and t was still in great running condition, I wish I was able to find thy car and get it back

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
there are far cheaper options such as the Mondeo you mentioned

this is very true. mine returns almost 60MPG on the motorway, 700 miles per tank is achievable, its quiet (quieter inside than my sisters C250CDi 204) mountains of space, comfortable, and is available, if you want it, as a hybrid, on the latest shape (2015 onwards)

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
>>>Not being flippant but premium motoring costs... there is no escaping that. Taking a low mileage almost new Mercedes and adding 40k over a couple of years then repeating that (I assume) can be a very expensive way of running a car. You really need to keep them longer.

I have no idea if this is just a commuting/family car or for business where costs are recovered but unless you really want a Mercedes and if it's all coming out of your own pocket there are far cheaper options such as the Mondeo you mentioned... a Skoda Octavia/Superb is another possibility.

Thanks, Droverunner. The more this thread has developed, the more we're coming to realise that perhaps our aim of keeping the car for a couple of years etc isn't very cost effective.

The commute is for work, and we are paying for it all ourselves. We'll take a look at the Skoda you've mentioned.

Given that our car has such high mileage, and because of the feedback on here (which has been incredibly helpful), we're also going to be taking our car to an indy and getting a health check along with some idea of the costs to keep it on the road for another 12/18 months when things should be a bit clearer in terms of what the government are planning. The car isn't worth a great deal now, so another 40k on the clock will not matter too much!

OP
C

Clio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2004/C220 CDi
I don't know much about turbos but if the issue is the dpf then there is a very cheap 'alternative procedure' that will cost little or nothing.

Are you talking about a regen, Arudge? We've done that ourselves and had it done via a machine, and the dreaded amber light always comes back!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom