Aftermarket window tinting - any experience?

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Yep I know some folks hate it... chavvy look etc. But having got that out of the way...

Anyone any recent experience of Windows tinting? Thinking rear door windows, rear fixed windows and the rear screen.

It seems to be a film on the inside so how does it get on with the rear door windows going up and down and it not peeling off or scratching? Can it be easily removed for resale if needed?

Peterbrake

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 250 CDI AMG Sport Shooting Brake 20136
There should be no problem with peeling or scratching unless you have children trying to scratch it from the inside however if you have the ‘black dot matrix’ around the edge of rear quarters and rear screen then it will look crap with the air trapped underneath all silvered. Even the best fitters can’t stop that.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Some companies are very good, others not so much… I’d go and see them and get a feel for them. They’ll most likely have done their own cars so useful to check theirs out

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
You will also need a straight peaked baseball cap worn backwards .
A hoodie
Ideally a large rear spoiler
A sticker in the side window with your insta handle
A large “chavtastic” logo in the rear window
A very large base speaker in the boot . ;)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
My W203 had aftermarket tint on done by "Global Tint" with their "Luna" film which is exactly the same tint as OEM.

No issues with scratching and they come to your house, well worth it IMO, you can tint everything behind the "B" pillar as dark as you want

Windows in front of the "B" pillar have to let 75% light through

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I bought a pre cut kit for the 211, so I'll have experience soon.
On the uppy downy windows the film is a tad over length and tucked behind the rubber.
Otherwise, having seen a video or two, there is some fannying with soapy water to fit.

At £40.99, as apposed to a couple of hundred quids, I'll have a go myself 1st.

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for replies. It's a case of as you were because the non-MB replacement for the Viano would have needed the tint to minimise visibility of what we carry in the loadspace... but as it happens the one I looked at (and bought) had dark tint factory fit already.

markben

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w220 2004 S320L CDI
Sorry to spoil the fun, but make sure your window tints comply with the Old Bill (Traffic Police) regulations for an 'acceptable' % degree of tint darkness.
If suspected to be 'too dark' and / or obstructing the driver's vision they can stop you & measure with a special instrument and, if appropriate, issue a Fixed Penalty Notice: or, worse still, seize the vehicle if the tints are considered to be dangerously dark until you remove them (yes, it does happen sometimes!). This issue came-up occasionally when I ran Police Referred Driver & Speed Awareness courses a few years ago.

If your tints are technically legal and for cosmetic reasons, fair enough. But if they are intended more to deter potential car thieves from seeing & stealing valuable & VISIBLE articles from inside the car, the best (& much cheaper?!) way is to always leave the interior totally clear of things like clothing (which might contain wallets / purses etc?), shopping bags, luggage, childrens' toys, TOOLS (?) or any potentially 'nickable / valuable' item. It only takes an opportunist thief 10 seconds to break-in and disappear into the twilight - and the Old Bill & your Motor Insurers won't be racing to help you in that event.

Either way, hope this helps and good luck...! :cool:

Last edited:

supernoodle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 2005 2.1D
On the uppy downy windows the film is a tad over length and tucked behind the rubber.
Otherwise, having seen a video or two, there is some fannying with soapy water to fit.

I've recently bought a set for my S211 too, probably from the same place as I paid the same.
Tintschoolonline on youtube seemed to have the best install vids I've found. Unfortunately I didn't find those until after I did the first window.

Reactions: M80

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I paid £170 to have the rear side windows and rear screen tinted on my W212 E class when I bought it.
It was mainly to keep the rear passengers cool in the hot sun and tints do help.

My previous E55 came with all windows tinted except for the front windscreen. It was a dark limo tint and the front side windows were certainly illegal. Never had a stop in all the time I owned it but I should have removed the front ones. Visibility was certainly reduced at night compared to clear glass.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I've recently bought a set for my S211 too, probably from the same place as I paid the same.
Tintschoolonline on youtube seemed to have the best install vids I've found. Unfortunately I didn't find those until after I did the first window.

I had a go about 10 years ago with my S211, soon realised why the professionals charged the way they did, lots of bubbling and just couldn’t get it to sit right, in the end after looking at it again the next morning I took them off, really good fitters will go to the extent of removing things like door card and trim to really get a perfect finish, the good guys even get the sharpie out and colour in the black dotted area so it doesn’t stand out with the bubbles that will happen there

Reactions: M80

BPD07

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w208 CLK ragtop, r230 SL350
I had a six door Mini Clubman done by Global Tint, full limo tint of all glass behind the B pillars very pleased with the work. Except for in the dark you really couldn’t see out for reversing

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
>>>if they are intended more to deter potential car thieves from seeing & stealing valuable & VISIBLE articles from inside the car, the best (& much cheaper?!) way is to always leave the interior totally clear

A fair point for easily portable stuff but we have larger items that can't be taken to the hotel room on a holiday overnight. I do put a blanket over them but even that can attract "what's that" interest. So the very dark windows add that extra layer.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I am afraid I’m in the WIghty camp with this one. To me it look like a van :)

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Sorry to spoil the fun, but make sure your window tints comply with the Old Bill (Traffic Police) regulations for an 'acceptable' % degree of tint darkness.
If suspected to be 'too dark' and / or obstructing the driver's vision they can stop you & measure with a special instrument and, if appropriate, issue a Fixed Penalty Notice: or, worse still, seize the vehicle if the tints are considered to be dangerously dark until you remove them (yes, it does happen sometimes!). This issue came-up occasionally when I ran Police Referred Driver & Speed Awareness courses a few years ago.

If your tints are technically legal and for cosmetic reasons, fair enough. But if they are intended more to deter potential car thieves from seeing & stealing valuable & VISIBLE articles from inside the car, the best (& much cheaper?!) way is to always leave the interior totally clear of things like clothing (which might contain wallets / purses etc?), shopping bags, luggage, childrens' toys, TOOLS (?) or any potentially 'nickable / valuable' item. It only takes an opportunist thief 10 seconds to break-in and disappear into the twilight - and the Old Bill & your Motor Insurers won't be racing to help you in that event.

Either way, hope this helps and good luck...! :cool:
Surely that’s only the front screen and front windows where the driver needs good visibility? OP was talking about rears.

My GLC came with tinted rears - no option. Although I wouldn’t have specified them, I can live with them quite happily and it does help security by completely hiding the view into the rear.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Surely that’s only the front screen and front windows where the driver needs good visibility? OP was talking about rears.

My GLC came with tinted rears - no option. Although I wouldn’t have specified them, I can live with them quite happily and it does help security by completely hiding the view into the rear.
B-Pillar back is fine (and legal)

There is a special place in hell reserved for anyone who tints the front windows in a car or van. It should be an immediate “crush the vehicle” offence - the driver can get out first if they really want to…:oops:

AndySlade

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Diesel Estate, Sports Edition
B-Pillar back is fine (and legal)

There is a special place in hell reserved for anyone who tints the front windows in a car or van. It should be an immediate “crush the vehicle” offence - the driver can get out first if they really want to…:oops:
And why do women in particular insist on driving with sunglasses on that are far darker tinted than would front and front side windows are legally allowed. My mate (a keen motorcyclist) has had several very close calls. Apparently he was not seen, wears a day-glo waistcoat!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And why do women in particular insist on driving with sunglasses on that are far darker tinted than would front and front side windows are legally allowed. My mate (a keen motorcyclist) has had several very close calls. Apparently he was not seen, wears a day-glo waistcoat!
Sun glasses can be removed easily- when it’s dark or inclement for instance. Tints not so much…

As a biker I’m very much against front tints (might have obliquely alluded to my views in my post above…:rolleyes:)

I’d suggest your friend might benefit from reading about “Motion camouflage“ (if they’re not already aware)

I’d also recommend some advanced training, hate to hear of another biker knocked off or worse

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
I've always had Smoke tint all round, on previous cars (not the windscreen) done at Pentagon Autotint, not had any problems at all, always passed the MOT, never got pulled and perfectly fine at night, so guess I'm going to Hell. o_O :)

Top Bottom