AGM Battery Faulty -

ecoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 2007 3.2CDi
Wanted to share my experience and ask your opinions please

Called out RAC to a flat battery and after charging at roadside for a while was told battery wasn't taking/holding any charge. Now this is a 9 month old Mercedes supplied AGM battery that the RAC tested as faulty. Tried my own battery charger at home and same result, not taking any charge.

Returned the car and battery to MB to be told battery all good- here's the £120 bill for the diagnostic.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
What sort of battery charger did you try on it?

OP
E

ecoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 2007 3.2CDi
Not sure what to do with that, but thanks for your replies all the same

SO..... received a call at 2.30pm to say battery was at 7.2v and they needed car overnight to fully charge and then do a discharge test. Protested a little and they agreed to charge battery for 2 hours and see if it held charge. Called back at 4.30pm to say battery fully charged and passed MB test. said printout showed 95AH.

question: should the test not show CCA? also 2 hours seems quick to fully charge a 95Ah battery and perform a discharge test.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
The battery needs to be fully charged (12.6V+) then tested under load (CCA)
If the CCA is well below the stated output the battery needs changing.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Low and slow, just like a boeuf bourguignon. AGM batteries don't respond well to a fast charger. I'm speculating here, but that may have been your problem.

OP
E

ecoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 2007 3.2CDi
thank you for the insights.

My charger is a fully auto charger but I cannot see that it has a specific AGM mode if one is needed - It regulates its voltage between 13.8v and 14.9v depending on the drain.

Given the "low and slow" is it likely to be fully charged after only 2 hours?

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
thank you for the insights.

My charger is a fully auto charger but I cannot see that it has a specific AGM mode if one is needed - It regulates its voltage between 13.8v and 14.9v depending on the drain.

Given the "low and slow" is it likely to be fully charged after only 2 hours?

If they have a very high tech charger, which tbh is pretty likely, then yes, quite possibly. You'll know in the morning.

That, or they have fitted a new battery and you have paid for it...

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Date code will be stamped on one of the terminals. Might give a clue

OP
E

ecoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 2007 3.2CDi

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Wait till morning and see if it's fixed...

OP
E

ecoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 2007 3.2CDi
thanks all

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
wow, didn't occur to me the dealer could be a crook.... you should be able to spot if the battery looks new vs 9 months old, I presume if checked at a main dealer they didn't just stop at testing the battery, what about alternator output?.

when u say issue at the roadside do we mean parked up outside the house or out on a journey?

OP
E

ecoman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 2007 3.2CDi
wow, didn't occur to me the dealer could be a crook.... you should be able to spot if the battery looks new vs 9 months old, I presume if checked at a main dealer they didn't just stop at testing the battery, what about alternator output?.

when u say issue at the roadside do we mean parked up outside the house or out on a journey?

TBH my first thought was that they couldn't be........ then after the explanation over the phone about not being able to do anything unless they had it overnight and then 2 hours later all was well and it passed all the tests (including a drain test). The numbers from the test were for AH and not the CCA which I thought the test equipment output as its measure?

It was parked up over the weekend but away from home and without jump leads! Alternator checked out ok (using a spare battery) and the dealership confirmed alternator was fine.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom