Air con pump issue

Adam81

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B180 sport
Hi, I have a b180 with an issue. The auxiliary belt keeps snapping for some reason and I suspect it is the air con pump which is the culprit. I was lead to believe the pulley that the belt goes round should spin freely when the air con is off and when it is switched on it should turn the rod that it sits on. Is that correct as currently it turns the whole thing all the time. Don’t really want to spend a couple hundred quid on a part I don’t need if anyone has any ideas on this. All the pulleys have been replaced and the alternator is also brand new. The only things I haven’t replaced are the air con pump and the water pump. Thanks in advance.

Nicholas Leah

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK & C220cdi
If you cannot rotate the pulley without turning the compressor (belt off) then you are correct, it sounds like the magnetic clutch has siezed on the compressor.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
....... currently it turns the whole thing all the time. Thanks in advance.
If the pulley on the air-con pump is going round, be it all the time, then that cannot be the reason for the breaking of the belt.
What is the time between the breaks?
Normally, the belts snap when one of the pulleys comes out of alignment.
How noisy are the idler pulleys?
If possible, put up a picture of one of the broken belts, of both the sides.

Nicholas Leah

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK & C220cdi
could the compressor be partially siezed and therefore getting hot enough to prematurely wear the belt?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom