AMG brakes

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
If you are going to fit larger callipers to your car do not forget the master cylinder and booster. They will need upgrading too.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
surely th problem the OP is experiencing is lack of feel in the brakes. sure the gti brakes feel firmer on the pedal. my ford brakes always felt better than an MB, but try stopping quicker than an MB. my opinion and suggestion would be to start with some cheaper options, like braided brake hoses. the steel outer braiding prevents the rubber internals expanding under the pressure so giving better brake 'feel' and reduced travel. they are also used extensively in motorsport as they do help cool brake fluid too (using thinner rubber walls and the metal braiding to dissipate the heat). also as Malcolm suggested, a change of pad compound will also help. bigger discs etc will give you almost no gains as you will have no extra grip. in fact they could be worse as the rears could lock!

HelpThisDude

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C270CDI, R172 SLK55 AMG
NSNO, I have just stumbled across you post.
I have done the conversion you are considering. There should be a post on here started about 10 or 11 months ago, they have part numbers and prices too, and lots of excellent advise form members on here.

The standard Lucas brakes on the C270 are fine. They will induce a skid no problems in the dry, so as suggested, if the brakes feel bad, have them checked. If you need a little more bite fit RED stuff pads.
I only went for the AMG brakes for the way they look behind alloys, not stopping power.

You need 17" alloys that have the right offset for a C32AMG, or they will not fit over the brakes once fitted. (I messed up here and had to use 3mm spacers)
The calipers and discs are straight forward bolt on, no dramas.
I have been advised that the Master Clyinder will be OK, as the pistons on the Brembo are smaller they your existing lucas unit.
The existing brake line, caliper bolts will also fit to the Brembo calipers, but I would advise fitting new ones.

I HAVE had problems with it.
I seem to develop bad brake vibrations, liked a warped disc. The First time this happened, I changed the discs and all was OK again (there is a thread on that too!).
After a few thousand miles, the Vibration is back again, and its very annoying.... I'm sure I will start a thread on that soon! :)

Beware that MB dealers will not touch you once you 'mod' the brakes, even if they are MB parts. INDI's are not much better, you get advice like "fit the old ones back on".
A few things to think about before you do this.

If I buy another Merc after this one, I will not do this conversion again!

FELLOW

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
208/1999/320
Merc Brakes

Had problems with my brakes when I first got my CLK W208 and had to have the brake servo and electronics replaced (warning light came up nicely when I was a bit sideways!)

Anyway, whilst sat looking at the laptop with the diagnostics running I was amazed to see brake peddle travel replicated on screen with time of depression..the tech lad said the power assist kicks in at dfferent rates dependent on depth / rate of depression and on initial models people though there brakes were failing when doing emergency stops because the peddle would hit the floor so easily...this may explain the feel thing..or perhaps TV could tell me if I was the send up of the day..? (I know what you mean about feel but these are not hot hatches to throw down a twisty lane just autob' cruisers.)

Next time the brakes are up for change would i see any benefit in fitting the 420 bigger pads and disc all round compared to the slightly smaller 320...and are rear wings worth adding?:?::?:

bw

P

OP
N

NSNO

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E55
NSNO, I have just stumbled across you post.
I have done the conversion you are considering. There should be a post on here started about 10 or 11 months ago, they have part numbers and prices too, and lots of excellent advise form members on here.

The standard Lucas brakes on the C270 are fine. They will induce a skid no problems in the dry, so as suggested, if the brakes feel bad, have them checked. If you need a little more bite fit RED stuff pads.
I only went for the AMG brakes for the way they look behind alloys, not stopping power.

You need 17" alloys that have the right offset for a C32AMG, or they will not fit over the brakes once fitted. (I messed up here and had to use 3mm spacers)
The calipers and discs are straight forward bolt on, no dramas.
I have been advised that the Master Clyinder will be OK, as the pistons on the Brembo are smaller they your existing lucas unit.
The existing brake line, caliper bolts will also fit to the Brembo calipers, but I would advise fitting new ones.

I HAVE had problems with it.
I seem to develop bad brake vibrations, liked a warped disc. The First time this happened, I changed the discs and all was OK again (there is a thread on that too!).
After a few thousand miles, the Vibration is back again, and its very annoying.... I'm sure I will start a thread on that soon! :)

Beware that MB dealers will not touch you once you 'mod' the brakes, even if they are MB parts. INDI's are not much better, you get advice like "fit the old ones back on".
A few things to think about before you do this.

If I buy another Merc after this one, I will not do this conversion again!

That was another reason why I was considering upgrading to the AMG brakes for aesthetic reasons as I am wanting to upgrade my alloys from 17" up to 18/19" and the callipers would be more exposed so I think it would look better with the AMG brakes compared to the current cast iron brakes which don't look so good. However it seems like it is more hassle than it is worth so I may just keep my current brakes and get some RED brake pads.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
They sell the plastic stick on covers on Ebay

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom