AMG S-Class on 5th Gear

Flying Scot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 R129 1995
Well, they test drove the new £150,000 AMG S-class. And guess what, a couple of doughnuts in a car park and the power steering broke. Comments on a post-card.....

well how silly dont they know its second gear for dohnuts!!! - i think they are all nuts in 5th gear - NOW the Stig would use TOP GEAR - i prefer Top Gear too he he

OP
O
Reaction score
actually it was some buck-toothed business bloke from "the dragons den". I agree it's a dreadful programme though. I Sky+'d it so manager to watch the whole programme in about 7 minutes.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Never watched the programme and tuned in for the 'How strong is a 124 estate' episode, and watched in horror as they demeaned one of the greatest cars produced.

To cut a long story short its a pity they don't work for the Beeb, we'd stand a lot better chance of removing their idiotic behaviour from the air.

OP
O
Reaction score
I agree with all the comments but my original point is that an brand new £150,000 merc doesn't seem to be able to handle of few doughnuts withoug breaking down. This doesn't sound to me like a company that is improving reliability and build quality.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
who would spend 150K on a car and use it for do-nuts anyway.

i dont really thing any car is designed for that kind abuse.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
I agree with all the comments but my original point is that an brand new £150,000 merc doesn't seem to be able to handle of few doughnuts withoug breaking down. This doesn't sound to me like a company that is improving reliability and build quality.

Oh come off it. You can hardly use a sample of one as the basis even for your usual Merc bashing.

OP
O
Reaction score
turn the steering wheel and put your foot down. It's hardly abuse. The worse that should happen is that you destroy a set of tyres. If 10 year old Nova's can do it in the local Tesco car park on a Friday night a £150k motor should manage to survive 30 seconds of it.

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
What was said in the other thread? It seems the season to be jolly has got something in the air in this forum ;)

Seen 5th gear once, never again. It just doesn't even compare to Top Gear. Get well Richard Hammond, I am having withdrawal symptoms and need to go on YouTube to watch bits! :(

OP
O
Reaction score
What was said in the other thread? It seems the season to be jolly has got something in the air in this forum ;)

Seen 5th gear once, never again. It just doesn't even compare to Top Gear. Get well Richard Hammond, I am having withdrawal symptoms and need to go on YouTube to watch bits! :(

I think someone said Richard Hammond is on Johnathan Ross this Friday.

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
You could find a sample of one, from every make there is, that would have something important fail. Just bad luck the sample of one was on TV. Thousands are going out with no problems. My S class has done 19,000 trouble free miles. Great car.

OP
O
Reaction score
very considered response. I was wondering where you'd got to Hawk. You are right of course, and to be fair he did say it was a fantastic car apart from the boot being to small and it being to uncomfortable - but then it has AMG sports suspension so you'd kind of expect that.

In all honesty, even if I knew the power steering may break I still think its a fantastic car. The trouble, I suppose, is that with all the electronic gizmos there's more to go wrong, and if you can afford £150,00 on a car you would probably get quite good service when it goes wrong and in all likleyhood would have a spare care or two anyway

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
Flippin eck Hanz - I wish you'd warn us in future!;)

Hanz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG/03/5.4V8
Sorry, I'll post a warning next time ;)

stumpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
various
I remember when 5th Gear was a proper car program VBH was trying to get 200 out of the Vanquish S. The shot called for a sort of half donut, and then blast away. The power steering belt jumped off each time and the car was sent back to NP to be sorted. I remember the gearknob coming off of a Boxster driven by Tiff too. I thought though (as with BMW) 'Press' cars were checked and double checked before being lent out to hacks.

I think Theo will plump for the Maybach personally.

OP
O
Reaction score
He implied that he'd probably get another 7 series BMW but I think for a real "sitting in the back" kind of a car the Maybach probably has the edge.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom