Android Headunits

Shane14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SE Exec 2015 Saloon (W205)
Hello,

Seen some threads about Android Headunits but just wanted to get a little more information...

- Do you lose any existing Merc Functionality that would usually display on the dash mounted screen?

Also, any recommendations on which one to buy?

Thanks,
Shane

Martian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 Aventgarde, (2005) CLK 320 AMG Convertible, (2002)
Hi Shane,

Unable to offer any useful advice, whatsoever, I am afraid to report other than the fact that I am also considering the purchase of an Android retrofit head unit too!

I have a W211 E270 which is in fine fettle, (the original CD, DVD/Sat Nav unit is working fine), but i can't connect my phone - obviously!

I have a brand new Parrot Bluetooth handsfree kit but I will need to remove existing system to break into wiring to install the Parrot hence the consideration of a replacement unit.

I have read a few 'nightmare' reports where the Androud units do not behave as expected and others where there are additional costs for the fibre bypass cable back to the boot!

DAB and reversing camera are attractive additiinal features but they too require additional modules- and there is still the gamble as to whether they will work as described!

I could knock up something, myself, with my Rasberry Pi but the 'cosmetics' have to look right of course!

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I can only comment on Chinese. Many look down on these as junk but for circa £350 for my 9" unit I'm happy.

Basic instal within minutes if it's Merc specific.

Yep extra kit is usual for DAB, and may not be fantastic, I've not bothered so can't give 1st hand account.

I don't go for wifi cameras so ran the cable from head to reverse cam. Works v well. £10ish.

Dash cam is often USB, so a need for a USB extension is all that's needed there, pluss HD cam of course. £15ish.

Forget all the Parrot type stuff BT works well and is good for calls and media, if you need media with 32 gig internal storage.

You will likely lose the dash next turn type mimic, if you have become used to that with Comand.

Steering controls work as per usual if the unit is sold specific for Mercedes, that's the matching of the canbus.

For me on the hoof I will be using FM or internal media, BT for calls, dash cam is auto, reverse cam auto again, Torque pro fed from BT transmitter into OBD, to monitor engine and such like, Waze or Tom Tom Sat Nav, I can ask for new routes on the go verbally. I can ask google to dial calls for me.
I can check weather verbally, I often check tide state for sailing.
Most of the data stuff is from my smart phone as a hotspot, so that includes traffic updates.

I might have missed a few things.

fatboydel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220D AMG LINE PREMIUM PLUS Estate 2019
I can only comment on Chinese. Many look down on these as junk but for circa £350 for my 9" unit I'm happy.

Basic instal within minutes if it's Merc specific.

Yep extra kit is usual for DAB, and may not be fantastic, I've not bothered so can't give 1st hand account.

I don't go for wifi cameras so ran the cable from head to reverse cam. Works v well. £10ish.

Dash cam is often USB, so a need for a USB extension is all that's needed there, pluss HD cam of course. £15ish.

Forget all the Parrot type stuff BT works well and is good for calls and media, if you need media with 32 gig internal storage.

You will likely lose the dash next turn type mimic, if you have become used to that with Comand.

Steering controls work as per usual if the unit is sold specific for Mercedes, that's the matching of the canbus.

For me on the hoof I will be using FM or internal media, BT for calls, dash cam is auto, reverse cam auto again, Torque pro fed from BT transmitter into OBD, to monitor engine and such like, Waze or Tom Tom Sat Nav, I can ask for new routes on the go verbally. I can ask google to dial calls for me.
I can check weather verbally, I often check tide state for sailing.
Most of the data stuff is from my smart phone as a hotspot, so that includes traffic updates.

I might have missed a few things.

Which specific unit did you buy, there are loads on e-bay?

Martian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 Aventgarde, (2005) CLK 320 AMG Convertible, (2002)
Martin, Lost Kiwi,

Many thanks for your responses- looks like I may start looking at the Mercedes specific units on Ebay with the latest version of Android.

Point taken re DAB as my Jag has DAB but I have to keep reverting back to FM as the reception varies considerably when travelling any distance.

I am presuming my car will have the fibre optic cable as it has the HK amp and speakers?

I also like the additional feature of voice control - if it is as reliable as Alexa it should suffice for in car use!

May I ask the make and model you chose?

AnthonyUK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C240 estate 2002
Don't take this as gospel but for the newer models I understand the new android screen works in addition to the existing unit so you don't lose anything.
In the older models such as mine it is a complete replacement which given the age of my car adds so much more than standard which was basically a CD and FM radio :D

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
My slow typing might mean I am repeating messages put up as I one finger this message.

I haven't installed where there is a separate amp. There is a low level output from the units that 'might' serve as the connection to that??

Often you look at the various HU from different suppliers and learn that they are the same. That is more applicable when you are searching for Octo core with 4 gig RAM and 32 gig internal storage. That narrows the field considerably and you don't want the lesser spec.

Screen size can vary, for me and GLK, same unit I believe, 9" is preferable.
An earlier 9" unit had poor brightness and was unreadable in bright sunlight at many angles. That was resolved by this unit that being later has superior screen spec. Processor etc are the same.

Erisin operate using different account names on eBay, they can be unreliable as a supplier 'if' you have issue outside of eBay protection.
Chinese units have become far more reliable over the years, but they are still Chinese and possibly suspect.
I don't want to temp fate but all good with mine thus far.

don't be tempted with buying Chinese from China, there are ample stocks in UK to choose from. That way no chance of a customs duty hit, but worse is the requirement to return to China in the event.

ZZZZ

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No experience personally but @GLK has one in his A class
Bearing in mind, my car is nine years older, than Shane's W205 (so what Antony said above), although about the same age as W211 ...

As Martin already said, I'd go for a model-specific Android unit with the top spec, i.e. Octa-Core and 4GB RAM and 32GB - 64GB NAND (which sellers often refer to as "ROM" even though it has nothing to do with read-only memory) and hi-res screen.

My preference is for larger screen and no DVD drive - these also ran cooler.

I fitted mine three years ago, so this particular model long since discontinued. It is Erisin
I've added Apple Car Play via additional dongle, and it works perfectly fine.

PS My typing is even slower, than Martin's LOL

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I got mine fitted by Comand UK. (Forum sponsors) No loss of functionality, DAB radio is terrific. All mod cons, Hands free etc. Replacement Head Unit.jpeg

MinionBob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Viano - 2012 - OM651 Engine - 2.2
I had one and found it was not compatible with rear air suspension (Viano) - Resulted in a constant error on the dash whihc im pretty sure would result in MOT failure.

It was an Ersi model, from memory. The only other quirk is that, as mentioned, you loose the heads-up sat nav display in the drivers binnacle. You cant update the google maps or ay of the inbuilt software either. For the money, very good value.

MinionBob

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Viano - 2012 - OM651 Engine - 2.2
Do a search for '9"DAB+Car Stereo Mercedes A/B-Class Viano Vito Sprinter W639 Android 9.0 Sat Nav' on Ebay from a seller called 'autodiypart8' - they were pretty good TBH.

NacNac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300H 2016 2.1l hybrud
I bought one end of last year.
From all my research, they seem to all be manufactured in China which is also not a surprise. Where has your phone being manufactured?

I posted this recently
https://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/index.php?threads/10-25-android-9-screen-hualingan.183871/

I have a few issues but this is being sorted

I am happy to share more of my experience with that unit. There are plenty videos of guys making you believe it is dead easy to install. Mine was installed in a w205 from 2016 by a professional and it did not take just a few minutes.

MP me for more info.

NacNac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300H 2016 2.1l hybrud
Hello,

Seen some threads about Android Headunits but just wanted to get a little more information...

- Do you lose any existing Merc Functionality that would usually display on the dash mounted screen?

Thanks,
Shane

No you do not lose any because the screen has two systems. The original Mercedes and it works exactly the same as before and then the Android. You can swap between the two at any time.
You have some configuration to do though. eg where do you want to use your phone (receive make calls etc...). If you are not careful then both systems will try to take the call for you. I decided to continue with the Mercedes one but there is an app on the Android one.

One thing I did not know is that if you use sat nav app on the Android the direction will be coming out of the auxiliary lound speaker of the screen and not the car's ones.

Another nice thing with the 10.25" screen is that you can have two apps displayed at the same time using the split screen function. So you can have your sat nav on one half of the screen and your music player (Deezer or else) on the other half.

The screen resolution being higher than the original screen, when you use your car's camera (and I have 360 camera) the image is a lot better.

The screen is touch screen however, the original Merc functionality was not designed to be controlled by touching the screen so if you are using the Original system and touch the screen it switches to Android screen.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I am happy to share more of my experience with that unit. There are plenty videos of guys making you believe it is dead easy to install. Mine was installed in a w205 from 2016 by a professional and it did not take just a few minutes.

MP me for more info.

Best to post on the forum rather than via PM so that many members (and search engines) can benefit

NacNac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300H 2016 2.1l hybrud
I appreciate this but I do not want to give names on public forum if the conversation leads to that. That's all :)

NacNac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300H 2016 2.1l hybrud
Hello,

Thanks,
Shane

Hi Shane

maybe I should be asking first. Have you had all the info you were looking for?
If this helps, (I have now found the URL), I bought mine end of last year
This is what I bought and from

https://www.iceboxauto.com/1025-nav...b-dab-mercedes-benz-e-class-w207-2013-14-1502

and from the manufacturer website:
https://www.hualingan.com/android-9...e-dsp-function-carplay-android-auto-4-64.html

OP
S

Shane14

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SE Exec 2015 Saloon (W205)
To provide a quick update.

I ordered and self-installed the unit from https://integratedautomotive.co.uk/
Excellent pre-sales and post-sales support via Facebook Messenger and Phone Calls.
UK Based company with CE Approved hardware.

Very pleased with the outcome.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom