Any Advice : Transmission Service 2012 W204

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; Tesla Model 3; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
Just making sure that one or both of those little pipes don't get put into a container with the old ATF and brought to the dump !!

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 2013 C350 CDI Pan roof
This is the correct interval for your car! :)
I don't know why but I thought the 7G was every 42k or something around point or 5 years? Maybe I'm gettig confused with my car having it done just before I bought it, as it was five years old.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jez Steve, that's helped alot mate. The pic is great.....as you know its not rocket science to remove and refit, actually thought i was very careful too (smart arse, that'll feckn teach me) but as you say, they're so easy to miss.....To see that small weep while the engine was running, was feckn raging !!!
I've ordered the o rings as suggested by Alex...so no matter what, ill replace them anyway and also another ltr of oil, just incase.
But ill follow up once I get sorted !!!!!

Big thx to everyone who replied, thx again !!
Good work on getting this done, I wish I had the tools, space, lift and confidence to do my own servicing.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't know why but I thought the 7G was every 42k or something around point or 5 years? Maybe I'm gettig confused with my car having it done just before I bought it, as it was five years old.
Hi,
The 7G is every 42k or 5 years but the 7G+ is every 77,500 or 5 years. There is a different spec ATF for each too.

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,
The 7G is every 42k or 5 years but the 7G+ is every 77,500 or 5 years. There is a different spec ATF for each too.
Thanks, I really couldn't remember if mine was the 7G or 7G+.

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If yours has stop/start it is a 7G+.
I understand that there are cars with the 7G+ which don't have stop/start but not the other way around.

OP
mickfit6

mickfit6

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C200 Sport Diesel
Good work on getting this done, I wish I had the tools, space, lift and confidence to do my own servicing.

Quietly confident i would have said, but considering I'm now waiting on new seals for the pump....im wondering now !!!

I originally did the tranny on my old Vaux Omega as a tester for me and it went OK....YouTube is great for info and videos on this type of stuff. Then I did my old X5 and that went fine, so I thought I'd give this a go ???
I think its just doing plenty of research and watching videos if possible !!!
I'd always try and do as much as I could myself before I'd hand it off to my local mechanic ???

Capra

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Quietly confident i would have said, but considering I'm now waiting on new seals for the pump....im wondering now !!!

I originally did the tranny on my old Vaux Omega as a tester for me and it went OK....YouTube is great for info and videos on this type of stuff. Then I did my old X5 and that went fine, so I thought I'd give this a go ???
I think its just doing plenty of research and watching videos if possible !!!
I'd always try and do as much as I could myself before I'd hand it off to my local mechanic ???
Whenever I see someone has done their own transmission I take my hat off. I learn pretty much by a hands on approach, so tend to make silly mistakes, I tend to rush in head first with the help of YT, and then ask important questions after! Hope the new seals completes your work.

OP
mickfit6

mickfit6

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C200 Sport Diesel
Whenever I see someone has done their own transmission I take my hat off. I learn pretty much by a hands on approach, so tend to make silly mistakes, I tend to rush in head first with the help of YT, and then ask important questions after! Hope the new seals completes your work.

Ironically, anything I've learned...I've learned like yourself...hands on approach... I have made quite a few mistakes in my time...but I think that's how we learn.....these days with diagnostics, you'd need a feckn degree to look at a car but personally I think there's no price on experience....... im no mechanic by no stretch, as I've mentioned earlier, but I'll have a craic at most things.....im lucky enough to have a garage at home with a scissor lift......

So I considered myself very lucky in that sense !!!

OP
mickfit6

mickfit6

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C200 Sport Diesel
Quick update !!!!

Got the new seals (feck, they're expensive) and 2ltrs of tranny oil, just incase !!!
Removed the pump and as Alex suggested I lost very little oil bout 1/2 ltr maybe less...I also had a couple of little caps lying about with fitted info the housing perfectly (pure luck !!)

Once I had the pump off and examined the seals, I could see no wrong and concluded that the pump just didn't seat properly, however I could be wrong. But fitted the new seals anyway, not worth taking any chances, and refilled with oil. I let it run whilst on the lift and no leaks (thank god)
I have left the undertray off as I'm going to drive for a day or two and then recheck for leaks.......but fingers crossed !!!

Attachments

• 20200519_143527.jpg
    20200519_143527.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 11

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Quick update !!!!

Got the new seals (feck, they're expensive) and 2ltrs of tranny oil, just incase !!!
Removed the pump and as Alex suggested I lost very little oil bout 1/2 ltr maybe less...I also had a couple of little caps lying about with fitted info the housing perfectly (pure luck !!)

Once I had the pump off and examined the seals, I could see no wrong and concluded that the pump just didn't seat properly, however I could be wrong. But fitted the new seals anyway, not worth taking any chances, and refilled with oil. I let it run whilst on the lift and no leaks (thank god)
I have left the undertray off as I'm going to drive for a day or two and then recheck for leaks.......but fingers crossed !!!
Well done buddy , breathe a sigh of relief :D .Those two seals look like brake caliper slider pins seals

OP
mickfit6

mickfit6

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C200 Sport Diesel
Well done buddy , breathe a sigh of relief :D .Those two seals look like brake caliper slider pins seals

Wighty, they do mate.....

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I got them and fitted them as recommended by the guys on here, but was shocked by the price considering how feckn small they are ??? £66 inc vat for the pair....

I was told they were £35 each including vat.....
However the package shows 2 in the package as apposed to single packaging

Maybe thats just the price of them ??? When you consider the damage that could happen if not replaced.....

I'm just glad its done now and hopefully many miles of happy motoring......

Finally, a big thanks to all who replied.....it was really appreciated !!!!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wighty, they do mate.....

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I got them and fitted them as recommended by the guys on here, but was shocked by the price considering how feckn small they are ??? £66 inc vat for the pair....

I was told they were £35 each including vat.....
However the package shows 2 in the package as apposed to single packaging

Maybe thats just the price of them ??? When you consider the damage that could happen if not replaced.....

I'm just glad its done now and hopefully many miles of happy motoring......

Finally, a big thanks to all who replied.....it was really appreciated !!!!
Mother of God £66 :eek::eek::eek::eek::oops:

steveq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wow, you'd be looking for the gold plating for that sort of money.

I'm glad that I didn't know that I should replace them when I did my ATF change (and maybe lucky that they aren't leaking).

OP
mickfit6

mickfit6

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C200 Sport Diesel
Jez, I'm glad I'm not on my own with this one....
As you guys know.....most things you would have a rough idea on cost, but these seals really took me by surprise...

I contacted Mercedes with the part no. shown and the guy priced me £33 each inc vat and I then asked him if they came in pairs but he said he wasn't sure he would have to check and come back to me...needless to say he hasn't...

But I think I will follow up on this tomorrow, just for my own piece of mind !!!

OP
mickfit6

mickfit6

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C200 Sport Diesel
Hi Guys

Just got the confirmation from Mercedes.....these are indeed sold separately @ £33 each. Don't know how that sort of price can be justify for something so small ???

Certainly for both maybe ???

Well rant over now !!!!

Hopefully hassle free for a while !!!

Thx again guys !!!

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel
I suppose you just have to console yourself with; 'How long would it take me to make one?' together with; 'Would I then trust it not to fail on a snowy Winter's night?'

OP
mickfit6

mickfit6

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C200 Sport Diesel
Just to add guys....

I'd now have around 150miles done now and as expected or hoped for, gear changes are noticeably smoother...practicality effortlessly !!!!

As with most all auto transmissions, on a slight hill we get the dreaded thump coming from Park to Drive/Reverse....but again this doesn't seem as bad as I know it was....

Also, I have noticed a quicker response to the gear changes and a little more torque on lift....I definitely wasn't expecting that. I was just happy with the smoother gear change and knowing it was now serviced.....

So, all in all, well happy...!!!!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just to add guys....

I'd now have around 150miles done now and as expected or hoped for, gear changes are noticeably smoother...practicality effortlessly !!!!

As with most all auto transmissions, on a slight hill we get the dreaded thump coming from Park to Drive/Reverse....but again this doesn't seem as bad as I know it was....

Also, I have noticed a quicker response to the gear changes and a little more torque on lift....I definitely wasn't expecting that. I was just happy with the smoother gear change and knowing it was now serviced.....

So, all in all, well happy...!!!!
I hope you were driving with a smug diy smile and a gentle congratulatory nod for a job well done buddy :)

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom