Auto stop start

ncarey265

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class c220 sport bluetech 64 plate 2.1L
Forgive me if this has been covered but I cant find anything relating to my problem.

My stop stsrt on my c220 has been working fine upon till a day ago were it seems to of stopped. I know there all kinds of parameters to be met for it to work but the orange light has stopped coming on my dashboard never mind the green light and it dont turn on altogether now when i first start the car the orange light comes on but the quickly goes off again and dont come back on cant anybody help as to why this is happening thanks

OP
N

ncarey265

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Forgive me if this has been covered but I cant find anything relating to my problem.

My stop stsrt on my c220 has been working fine upon till a day ago were it seems to of stopped. I know there all kinds of parameters to be met for it to work but the orange light has stopped coming on my dashboard never mind the green light and it dont turn on altogether now when i first start the car the orange light comes on but the quickly goes off again and dont come back on cant anybody help as to why this is happening thanks

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
^ this. I don’t use my stop/start much as that involves being in Eco/C mode but I recently did and found my consumer battery was goosed. New battery and off it went (not that I’ll use it again, but the consumer runs a couple of other functions too)

OP
N

ncarey265

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the reply. Even if it was the battery shurly I should still get the orange light on the dasboard. I just did a 2:30hr trip down the south of England and back up north again I was hoping that might of fixed the issue.

ioweddie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 AMG Sport Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
In think you need to get it on star or checked by diagnostics somewhere, are there any other symptoms, maybe the battery is on its way out.

OP
N

ncarey265

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No other symptoms atall it was working fine then got in it one day and stopped working.

Pitsmoor Col

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014. W205, C Class C220. Diesel Blutec Automatic Saloon.
Hi, the eco stop/start doesn't seem to be working, is this anything to worry about. Or is there a "fix" for this ? Car is W205 C class C220 Diesel Blutec.

OP
N

ncarey265

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi, the eco stop/start doesn't seem to be working, is this anything to worry about. Or is there a "fix" for this ? Car is W205 C class C220 Diesel Blutec.

Mine still does not work not even the Amber light in the dash comes in still if love to know a fix

phils

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 E220d AMG-line premium estate (S213)
I have had mine fixed twice now, under my extended (Tier1) warranty. Looking at posts on the various MB owner's forums, it seems to be quite a common problem with the W205?

The first time (around April/May) the dealership diagnosed the stop/start "battery" had failed its test and wanted to charge me for fixing it "sorry sir but batteries are not included in the warranty". I challenged this, as I had read that the "battery" is in fact some sort of flux-capacitor contraption, so I argued that it was an electronic component? In fact, on checking the warranty book, batteries are covered anyway!!

Fast forward to last month and I got a "auxiliary battery malfunction" message on the display, (everything worked fine, even the stop/start) which was fixed under the warranty. I asked if it was the same thing that was changed in May but was told it was something different! As it's a warranty job, you don't get an invoice so I am waiting until I go in for the next service in December, when I will request copies of the electronic service records (you can't just ring up for these but have to punt up with the V5?).

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
No other symptoms atall it was working fine then got in it one day and stopped working.

this has come up before... the small battery needs replacing, then it magically works they last about 5 years and can be bought and fitted yourself for 60 quid or 400 at a merc dealer including the diagnostics

as others elude to stop start is a terrible idea and "just wears out the engine...."

the benefit is not for the end user, but in merc selling more cars and allegedly showing they care about the planet... if you read the start of this sentence again, clearly they don't

phils

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have had mine fixed twice now, under my extended (Tier1) warranty. Looking at posts on the various MB owner's forums, it seems to be quite a common problem with the W205?

The first time (around April/May) the dealership diagnosed the stop/start "battery" had failed its test and wanted to charge me for fixing it "sorry sir but batteries are not included in the warranty". I challenged this, as I had read that the "battery" is in fact some sort of flux-capacitor contraption, so I argued that it was an electronic component? In fact, on checking the warranty book, batteries are covered anyway!!

Fast forward to last month and I got a "auxiliary battery malfunction" message on the display, (everything worked fine, even the stop/start) which was fixed under the warranty. I asked if it was the same thing that was changed in May but was told it was something different! As it's a warranty job, you don't get an invoice so I am waiting until I go in for the next service in December, when I will request copies of the electronic service records (you can't just ring up for these but have to punt up with the V5?).

About time for another update:

Service/MOT completed a couple of weeks ago and again asked about warranty work (V5C in hand). They said I could not have copies of the invoices as it was commercial information between themselves and the warranty company! I pressed that it was my car and I had a right to know what work had been done on it.

They reluctantly agreed to email me details of work carried out and yesterday, I got confirmation that in May, they replaced "the battery" (presumably the stop/start battery - that on a S205 is a flux-capacitor thingy) and in September, a voltage converter".

Needles to say I've renewed my warranty for the next year (thankfully, it was the same price too).

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i am an old cynic, but i think stop start is a waste,time money ,effort ,and any ,slight fuel saving is going to get gobbled by the premature and costly replacement of starters/flywheel ring gears, if i end up with such a gimmick i will disable it tres rapidment. frankly if there is no other issue be happy.!

phils

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What I have noticed, having had the flux capacitor bits replaced, is that even with the recent cold snap, the stop/start is still working fine (yippee - or not - depending on if you're a fan or not). ****** cold and still doing mainly local journeys, so maybe I was fobbed off by the "experts", who originally told me that it was normal for it to stop working in cold winter months!

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
Srop/Start - terrible idea! If I wanted to try and Sh#g my engine, I would take every opportunity to turn on all the electrics, headlights, air con, etc., then put the gearrbox in drive, before I tried to start it :) Repeat a few hundred times should do it.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Srop/Start - terrible idea! If I wanted to try and Sh#g my engine, I would take every opportunity to turn on all the electrics, headlights, air con, etc., then put the gearrbox in drive, before I tried to start it :) Repeat a few hundred times should do it.

stop start is great if you own a company producing cam chains....

wonder what produces the most pollution? fitting 2 cam chains + sprockets + tensioner, a starter motor, gearbox out for a flex plate, an exhaust system, an alternator and four or so batteries …..plus a replacement car (all within 9 years)...

or 5 to 10 gallons of petrol?

Top Bottom