auto to manual conversion

ijr

Reaction score
hi all.
is there anyone who can help... i intend to race a 450 sl next year. i have the car but as many are its auto. i need the rare manual gearbox. so...
does anyone have one or
will another manual from another merc fit the v8 or
has anyone done another conversion using a different gearbox or
...any suggestions and no the auto isnt an option
thank you
please email or you can call me on 07913377802
ian

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,,there is not MB manual box that can take the V8,,there may be one in a commercial vehicle that you could use, but we have no means of checking

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
also this is not always as easy as it first seems, even if the parts were easily available. i did this on my granada what seemed like a flywheel change, pedal box and clutch turned into much more! if you plan racing it though, a competition gearbox would probably be the best way to go for you!

funny how merc never managed putting manual boxes on bigger engines, but bmw, rover, ford etc all did!

type49

Reaction score
funny how merc never managed putting manual boxes on bigger engines, but bmw, rover, ford etc all did!

That's because they all use another manufacturers gearboxes & design the bellhousings to mate up to their engines. BMW do not build any gearboxes, steering racks or diffs.
Mereceds build their own, so are very limited in supply compared to makers like ZF & Getrag............ & yes, that is Getrag, not Gartrac, as many people think.

Last edited:

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
The SLC did come with an option of a manual 4 or 5 speed gearbox, and will be very hard to get hold of if at all, you might try using a Getrag box from an E12 or E28 5 Series "M"535i BMW, with a custom made bell housing.

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom