1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto transmission problems

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by slchesterfield, Sep 13, 2019.

1. slchesterfield

slchesterfield New Member

Your Mercedes:
    E270 2004 2.7Diesel
    Hi All, hope someone can give me advice here. I have a Mercedes E class 2008 Auto CDI I bought this reasonably cheap from a dealer as it has nearly 190k on the clock and paid under 2k for the car with afull MOT etc. However, the dealer told me of several things that would need attention so............yeah I know I may live to regret it.
    Anyway, I have noticed recently that the car vibrates when accelerating from say 3rd gear then dissapears after the car reaches speed. It doesn't do this from a start. Now, this symptom suddenly stopped, the vibration went but, the car seems to go into 4th and 5th gear to early causing the car to labour especially when cold.

My local garage suggested coolant in the gearbox oil would cause that OR tragically could be a transmission problem.

Would I be wise just to get the oil and filter changed first as this may be a cheap option OR just take it to my local garage and get a full report on it and suffer the consequences

TIA
    Steve

P.S. I do have some other niggles but nothing that's serious which I will ask in other forums later

Wighty and Jim2 like this.
  2. joderest

joderest Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML270 2003
    i would have oil and filter change and see what comes out, if oil has water in it then you have further issues.

matthew k, slchesterfield and Jim2 like this.
  3. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    I would guess that getting the car on MB Star diagnostic machine at a decent Indy will be able to interrogate the gearbox to pin down the fault .
    Definitely not your local garage .
    Maybe the gearbox oil , but if you are paying someone that will cost twice what a Star session will .

slchesterfield and Jim2 like this.
  4. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    There are several things it could be not all of which are expensive.
    Antifreeze in the oil, failing conductor plate, failing torque converter, failing box, bad propshaft couplings, bad engine mounts can all cause strange vibrations and/or oddball behaviours.

5. Jim2

Jim2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2010 Eclass w212 2.1 CDI
    A quick dip to see how much oil is actually in the box, and what colour it is, may give some indication of what the problem is.....and it costs nothing or very little if you have to get some one to do it for you....just to remember that the temp of the oil must be 80c when dipped for accurate measurement

Wighty likes this.
  6. rifiki

rifiki Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    clk W209 Ponton 190
    If it’s a 7 speed box there is no dipstick.

matthew k and Jim2 like this.
  7. Jim2

Jim2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2010 Eclass w212 2.1 CDI
    My experience is only with the 722.6 5 speed automatics....so sorry, that's not much help to you. But there are very knowledgeable people here on the Forum, and I'm sure that they will be able to help you.

slchesterfield likes this.
  8. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    ATF and filter is the cheapest first fix, only risk is if the transmission has other issues that will be lost in a repair /overhaul

Jim2 and slchesterfield like this.
  9. range rover

range rover Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S class 320L CDI 4DR Auto CHALCEDONY BLUE 2005/straight 6
    Check your drains under the bonnet, if they are blocked or partly blocked like mine were, water will get into the electrics and cause all sorts of mayhem, it's a simple check but neglect it at your peril!

gassed up and Jim2 like this.
  10. davemercedes

davemercedes Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av
    As per post #3 a prime candidate for missed service tasks is the transmission fluid and filter. Not sure on an E but on a C Class it's supposed to be changed at 45K - and that's a job you should definitely entrust to a MB independent (and as Wighty says above - not your local garage)! A good indie will be able to interrogate it for error messages etc. with Star.

Many of us use independents ("indies") for service issues and we have a number of them on here as members. They generally live and breathe Mercedes and have years of knowledge!

OP gives location as Chesterfield, Derbyshire - can anyone please advise the name/location of an indie nearby?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Jim2 and slchesterfield like this.
  11. V6Matty

V6Matty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S212/10/E350(His) W169/2005/A180 (Hers)
    I’m sure there is one in chesterfield but I can’t remember the name. If the op fancies a run to Nottingham then I can recommend my Indy, MB Centre which is near the racecourse.

Jim2, slchesterfield and davemercedes like this.
  12. OP
    slchesterfield

Your Mercedes:
    E270 2004 2.7Diesel
    Thanks for all the help and replies to my original posting.
    The garage eventually changed the ATF, filter and gasket + labour etc. and the bill was £200 all in. Not sure if that was cheap or not! but I wanted to try rather than go down the transmission replacement route. The next day after collecting the fault was still there from cold but improves when warmed up. The garage told me he had done the diagnostic and NO fault was found withe the transmission, the old oil was actually fine and not contaminated with coolant. So......I'm stuck. The car does run fine otherwise. I can't afford a replacement transmission + labour so. If anyone has any other suggestions I would be very grateful. Another owner suggested a 'additive' as he suspects clutch judder. Not sure what to do now. May be just run it until it goes altogether and then suffer the loss..............any help is appreciated

Jim2 likes this.
  13. alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti MBO Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
    You could try judder fix, not much to loose.

You would have to drop the oil and refill again to get it in there on a 7 speed.

200 is cheap, may I suggest they have only changed the oil in the sump and not drained the torque converter? If thats the case, and the symptoms have Improved with a half change, maybe a full change will sort it completely?

Jim2 likes this.
  14. mercmancdi

mercmancdi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
    As above.
    It’s a pity it didn’t get a proper flush
    As torque converter can be related to a shudder and be known to improve when oil is warmer.

Jim2 likes this.
  15. RhodiBill

RhodiBill Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W208 CLK320 182U ALMANDINE-BLACK METALLIC
    I'm not saying that this is the case in this instance, but garages tend to just drain what is in the Transmission Sump, which equates to about 30% of the actual contents, remove the Sump Pan, replace the Filter inside the Sump and put the Pan back with a new gasket and say they have changed your ATF. And charge you for the pleasure! It takes me about an hour to do this - and this is with the car up on Stands not on a Lift which would make it easier and quicker!

Doing it this way, (on the 5 speed at least) you would have to carry this out 3 to 4 times and change the Filter on the last one to more or less change most of the Fluid. Let's just say it's better than doing nothing!! It's how I do it anyway.....

Jim2 and mercmancdi like this.
  16. mercmancdi

mercmancdi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
    I think on my last flush my indi charged about £15-20 on its own for the clean fluid he flushed through before renewing the oil.

Jim2 and RhodiBill like this.
  17. OP
    slchesterfield

Your Mercedes:
    E270 2004 2.7Diesel
    Thanks, the garage told me they changed all so i have to trust them somewhat. I have purchased a tube of Mr tranny anto judder and will apply at the weekend

alexanderfoti likes this.
  18. OP
    slchesterfield

Your Mercedes:
    E270 2004 2.7Diesel
    Yes that's the symptoms

Thnaks for your reply

19. OP
    slchesterfield

Your Mercedes:
    E270 2004 2.7Diesel
    Update today 22nd Jan 2020. Antil judder has arrived through the post and will be putting in at the weekend, However, going to work in the car yesterday the judder and vibration is somewhat more intense, even when the transmission is 'engine braking' and coming to a halt. I feel something is seriously wrong so hoping the fluid additive might do the trick. If not it could mean scrapping the car if the transmission is shot............:(

Wighty likes this.
  20. McDonald

McDonald Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL500 2004
    It seems like you're jumping to conclusions. Get the car to a trusted indy and put on Star. That should be a first step. You've already spent £200 and got no advantage. Find out definitively what's wrong, cost it, then decide if you can afford the remedy.

Jim2 and mercmancdi like this.