1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto transmission problems

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, Fuel and Exhaust' started by slchesterfield, Sep 13, 2019.

1. slchesterfield

slchesterfield New Member

Your Mercedes:
    E270 2004 2.7Diesel
    Hi All, hope someone can give me advice here. I have a Mercedes E class 2008 Auto CDI I bought this reasonably cheap from a dealer as it has nearly 190k on the clock and paid under 2k for the car with afull MOT etc. However, the dealer told me of several things that would need attention so............yeah I know I may live to regret it.
    Anyway, I have noticed recently that the car vibrates when accelerating from say 3rd gear then dissapears after the car reaches speed. It doesn't do this from a start. Now, this symptom suddenly stopped, the vibration went but, the car seems to go into 4th and 5th gear to early causing the car to labour especially when cold.

My local garage suggested coolant in the gearbox oil would cause that OR tragically could be a transmission problem.

Would I be wise just to get the oil and filter changed first as this may be a cheap option OR just take it to my local garage and get a full report on it and suffer the consequences

TIA
    Steve

P.S. I do have some other niggles but nothing that's serious which I will ask in other forums later

Jim2 likes this.
  2. joderest

joderest Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML270 2003
    i would have oil and filter change and see what comes out, if oil has water in it then you have further issues.

Jim2 likes this.
  3. Wighty

Wighty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
    I would guess that getting the car on MB Star diagnostic machine at a decent Indy will be able to interrogate the gearbox to pin down the fault .
    Definitely not your local garage .
    Maybe the gearbox oil , but if you are paying someone that will cost twice what a Star session will .

Jim2 likes this.
  4. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    There are several things it could be not all of which are expensive.
    Antifreeze in the oil, failing conductor plate, failing torque converter, failing box, bad propshaft couplings, bad engine mounts can all cause strange vibrations and/or oddball behaviours.

bembo449, Jim2 and d215yq like this.
  5. Jim2

Jim2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2010 Eclass w212 2.1 CDI
    A quick dip to see how much oil is actually in the box, and what colour it is, may give some indication of what the problem is.....and it costs nothing or very little if you have to get some one to do it for you....just to remember that the temp of the oil must be 80c when dipped for accurate measurement

Wighty likes this.
  6. rifiki

rifiki Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    clk W209 Ponton 190
    If it’s a 7 speed box there is no dipstick.

Jim2 likes this.
  7. Jim2

Jim2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2010 Eclass w212 2.1 CDI
    My experience is only with the 722.6 5 speed automatics....so sorry, that's not much help to you. But there are very knowledgeable people here on the Forum, and I'm sure that they will be able to help you.

8. John Laidlaw

John Laidlaw Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    UnMercs BMW i8 Volvo XC90
    ATF and filter is the cheapest first fix, only risk is if the transmission has other issues that will be lost in a repair /overhaul

9. range rover

range rover Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S class 320L CDI 4DR Auto CHALCEDONY BLUE 2005/straight 6
    Check your drains under the bonnet, if they are blocked or partly blocked like mine were, water will get into the electrics and cause all sorts of mayhem, it's a simple check but neglect it at your peril!

10. davemercedes

davemercedes Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av
    As per post #3 a prime candidate for missed service tasks is the transmission fluid and filter. Not sure on an E but on a C Class it's supposed to be changed at 45K - and that's a job you should definitely entrust to a MB independent (and as Wighty says above - not your local garage)! A good indie will be able to interrogate it for error messages etc. with Star.

Many of us use independents ("indies") for service issues and we have a number of them on here as members. They generally live and breathe Mercedes and have years of knowledge!

OP gives location as Chesterfield, Derbyshire - can anyone please advise the name/location of an indie nearby?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  11. V6Matty

V6Matty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S212/10/E350(His) W169/2005/A180 (Hers)
    I’m sure there is one in chesterfield but I can’t remember the name. If the op fancies a run to Nottingham then I can recommend my Indy, MB Centre which is near the racecourse.

davemercedes likes this.