Autobox hard 2 to 1 when cold

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Hi, My 2000 W202 C280 Tiptronic Auto sometimes gives a very hard 2 to 1 shift in traffic before fully warmed up. This seems to happen when slowing down in 2nd with little or no throttle and then just as I apply light throttle there is a slight delay and then the hard shift into 1st. It also gives ok changes 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 when warming up but it's never quite silky smooth until the car has travelled 3 to 4 miles when it is then superb. I can't see any fluid leaks underneath the car so it may not be transmission fluid level but maybe I should get it checked anyway. I've read somewhere about hard 2 to 1 shifts with this model but I wonder what other members opinions are. Is this normal or not ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It will hold onto the lower gears when cold to warm up the CAT Try this I do not believe in it but some do

(1) switch OFF the climate control and radio.
(2) close ALL doors.
(3)Turn Ignition key to all dash lights ON position(not as far as start though)
(4) Press and hold the accelerator to the floor for 20 seconds.
(5)with Accelerator still to the floor, turn the key to the OFF position DONT REMOVE IT YET.
(6) Slowly lift your foot off the accelerator.
(7) Sit for 2 minutes DONT TOUCH ANY SWITCHES.
(8) Remove the ignition key and exit the car.
I left the car overnight then drove it the next morning but this is,nt nessesary you can get in and try it after a couple of minutes.
I can honestly say this works and has set the shift points to the perfect settings.
Hope this helps someone else as it has helped me, and Thanks Malcolm once again for the link

OP
G

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Thanks Malcolm, I may give it a try although I am aware of the delayed upshifts when cold etc. Presently the box seems to change up at the right times and I'm not overly concerned with this aspect, just the occasional hard shift 2 to 1 when cold.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom