Automatic Car Washes - Definitely Not?

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
Did your ARC place have the 'new' technology soft foam, no scratch claim?
I'm going back about 3 years so probably not, but after I had had the car re-polished there was no evidence of any scratches or other damage from the hand wash station in my area. Obviously others may have different experiences with other companies.

teabag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W163 ML270 CDI
I thought this new nano paint resisted meteorite showers ?
I think the Obsidian Black on my 55 plate W220 was "Nano paint" but it still suffered from swirl marks caused by the ARC carwash, whereas the Violan (Deep Purple) on my 51 plate W210 did not suffer any such damage from any auto carwash

mxs

Reaction score
That is one major advantage! Chance to remove lots of salt infused mud and muck..

...thus putting salty & silty water back into the system to be re-used by the next unsuspecting customer..

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
...thus putting salty & silty water back into the system to be re-used by the next unsuspecting customer..

ARC make a lot about filtered water? Clearly wont remove dissolved contaminants though..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Well indeed these plants do scratch the paint, thats why Nano coating were applied in the first place

B

brick10

The wife always washes and dries our sl
I am pleased to say. She says she enjoys it?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The wife always washes and dries our sl
I am pleased to say. She says she enjoys it?

And to think that I used to go from the UK to Sweden to polish my ex wives car, She does not complain when I clean mine

martinopy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 cls
I personally don't use either as in my opinion they're as bad as each other. I always wash my own car to make sure it's done correctly. The only other option I'd consider is a wash from a proper detailer.

Nemo20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current SL400 2016 R231 Previously owned SL500 2005 R230
Me......only me! Gets me outside for an hour or so to enjoy the weather, whatever the season, and it's good exercise too. ;)

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK430, 2007 VITO 3.0V6 , W124's (1994 320TE , 1993 220TE ) , 07 2.5 X-Type
Dan you are not a true enthusiast, I would never let anyone wash my cars or use a car wash, when you do it your self you get to see where the new stone chips are, and car park dings that can ruin a good day
After that I could wash a Car in my sleep The ability to wash a Car quickly has stood me in good stead over the years and saved me £££££ . I dont do Concours and there is the reality that in 1 or 2 days time it will look like you havent bothered so I do it quickly and often;) average 2 X weekly in winter .
It takes me between 6 and 10 minutes I have often started and finished by the time my neighbour has layed out and connected his pressure washer .
Also wheels are like Clean shoes Clean alloys and you can get away with some dirt on the rest of the car I often do the wheels only AM before setting off I just hate Dirty Wheels
I have also been seen doing the wheels and under the Bump strip Only AM before work sometimes just that lifts the whole car :)
Boyd .

Triv

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A brace of s210 1998 e300 turborustbuckets. Toyota HiLux Surf kzn185 3.0L
And the Rust :(:(:(

When the jetwash perforated the front wings and at the next attempt, the rotating brushes enlarged the holes and deposited the 'excess' bodywork down the side of the car, I gave up washing it anywhere but home.
I love my car!

Ricardo_e220

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R170 SLK230k 1999
Doing up to 1000 miles per week, I must admit that on occasion mine gets a auto wash but only where they have the soft things, I once inherited a company car which was a bit battered (2 years old and always washed at the hand job places!!!!) so I kept putting it through the 99p taxi wash place with hard bristles wow! Not good!

I've not had experience of the hand places I've used, swirling my paint ( I'm obsessive and have corrected swirls on my own cars. ) possibly as I use them so infrequently, but the buggers lifted some lacquer off a smart repair on my last car.

Merc dealers use soft wash machines....

I see lots of very swirly new cars at these hand job places... Mainly black ones in the sun eek! But people in general don't care.

I try to DIY, have a karcher and a snow foam lance which reduces the contact time if I have t time to get the buckets out.

Also I'm tight and resent paying £5 to have the car washed badly.

2 young kids and lots of miles mean this isn't always possible though.

My lotus only gets the two bucket gentle wash and nice wax :cool:

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
That's it. I'm on the lookout for a hand wash I can trust, until then its just me with sponge and chamois.

william28ho

Reaction score
i like washing my own car.....
i cannot bear to see people wearing rings etc. washing my car...the thought of people dropping the sponge and continue washing....scares me...

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
At a few of the hand wash places I've driven past I've seen happy customers sitting in their cars while a guy picks a broom up off the ground and cleans the paintwork with it. Sorry, not for me. :confused:

Russ

mxs

Reaction score
There are of course going to be good & bad hand car wash companies. If you are worried if your local one is any good, just sit back and watch a few cars go through to see how they perform before commiting.

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
You guys let someone else touch your car :shock:.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom