Automatic Gearbox Issue.

assad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220/2014/Diesel
Hi I’ve got a CLS 320CDI 2006 Model which has 7G Tronic Automatic Gearbox.
While in automatic mode and the car is slowing down the gear changes from 2nd to 1st you feel a slight jerk/jolt bit like a bad gear change.
It is always while slowing down and always from 2nd to 1st in automatic mode and set to S mode
All the other gear changes are fine up and down in automatic mode.
I’m going to try it in C mode to see if this makes a difference.
I’ve noticed a few members have had similar problems, it would be nice to find out the outcome.
Oh the car is just out of its 3 year warrantee (typical)

Regards Assad

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Theres been many software up-dates for this very fault, had loads up-dated on both of my old R,classes, both cured after the up-dates!!

OP
A

assad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220/2014/Diesel
Hi update
I forgot to mention in my original post that the car had been back to Mercedes for another issue and while Mercedes had the car, they did various software updates to the Car and Sat Nav.
I spoke to Mercedes this morning and asked if one of the updates they did was to the automatic gearbox, they said yes, I explained the problem I was having and this is their responce.
The new software update skips the first gear when slowing down which means when slowing down it goes from 2nd gear to neutral.
Has anyone else been told this .

Last edited:

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
It now needs road testing with star on board, adaptions on the gearbox now need doing, setting the fill times on up/down shift!!

moosehead

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C230/2005/2.5L Avantgarde SE Sport Pack Estate, SLK230/1999 and Volvo XC60/2017 AWD
I had several s/w updates on my 7G box and it was not until the final month of the warranty that MB were able to resolve the problem you described. I was told that the 7G box 'skips' gears changing up or down depending on driving conditions although I'm pretty sure mine goes from 2nd to 1st still. Changing from 'S' to 'C' didn't make any difference to the down changes either. The electro hydraulic control unit failed at just over 50K miles but luckily the vehicle was in warranty. I believe that a few other members have also reported this failure. I can't really say there's an awaful lot of benefit over the 7G compared to the 5 speed in the wife's SLK. Another annoying habit of the 7G is that the car rolls back on a hill and you need to do a handbrake start. The 5 speed box seems to hold the vehicle without any problem.

Top Bottom