• I usually buy a round amount e.g. £25

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
I am NOT trying to start another thread on the current situation with fuel buying etc as that is well aired in another thread already but I was interested to hear the "industry stat" which suggested the average amount of fuel purchased on each occasion in normal times was between £25 and £30.

I always fill up every time but an unscientific survey of a couple of friends and family revealed about half are like me, because it reduces the number of times I have to find a filling station, but about half never fill the tank completely because it increases the weight they are carrying around, and also for cashflow reasons - "I would rather the money be in my bank account than the petrol company's".

Some have even invented a game where they try to put in exactly a round amount, but carry a few copper coins in the ash tray as they usually overshoot!

What group do you fall into?

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
All my personal cars I fill the tank, all the loans cars £10 ish as they get abused and nearly always come back empty.

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes w218 CLS63 AMG now gone, RR Velar
Full tank, run the car until is 3/4 empty and fill up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Misterdog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 (W169) 2010
Back in the day advice was to not to carry excess weight as it increases fuel consumption/pollution.
Filling the tank when you only need 1/2 tank is probably adding 20/25 KG.

Though now we carry an extra 25Kg for our stop/start systems, to save the planet.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I always fill to 2 clicks on the pump then make sure I get every last drop out....I always fill from 1/4 tank or until I get the orange light on.....that reminds me, must do so on the way home tonight from work.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
My normal practice is to put in a round amount cost wise - a minimum of £20 then in £5 or £10 increments.
I only cover on average less than 80 miles a week so fuel can last me a few weeks.
It can be difficult to stop on the whole pound so sometimes I find myself going up to the next increment when I have been unable to stop on the lower amount.
I will stop with 10p to go to the whole pound and go up in single pence. What I have found is that it will alternate between jumping 1p then 2p, so if it gets to 99p after a 1p jump I know the next jump is going to be 2p and I am ****ed! :p
I tend not to run with a full tank unless I have a reason to do so, but funnily enough I have close to a full tank at the moment.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
My normal practice is to put in a round amount cost wise - a minimum of £20 then in £5 or £10 increments.
I only cover on average less than 80 miles a week so fuel can last me a few weeks.
It can be difficult to stop on the whole pound so sometimes I find myself going up to the next increment when I have been unable to stop on the lower amount.
I will stop with 10p to go to the whole pound and go up in single pence. What I have found is that it will alternate between jumping 1p then 2p, so if it gets to 99p after a 1p jump I know the next jump is going to be 2p and I am ****ed! :p
I tend not to run with a full tank unless I have a reason to do so, but funnily enough I have close to a full tank at the moment.
I think there's a bit of OCD in all of us, I don't like odd numbers whatever I'm dealing with, volume levels, car speed, etc, ... etc, :)

coxyhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E500 Sport Coupe
Even though we always fill the tanks,my bike never takes more than £20 & the wife's Note is usually around £30.
Mine is usually £50-80 but being retired doesn't get used a great deal.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I fill the tank to the first click & then to the next whole pound in the Merc but only the next 50p in the Smarts, but as Ron says, the number of times it clicks onto so many £s & a penny :oops:

danmart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLA 45S
For many years I did a lot of long-distance driving (and I still do quite a fair bit) so my automatic habit is to fill my tank when refuelling.

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
You could fill the tank to the nearest e.g. £xx.60 very time, then it's easy to rememebr and most importantly spot and spurious fuel garage transactions on your card that don't end in 60p

I am lead to believe petrol stations are card cloning hotspots.
Sole, low paid attendants with tempting offers dangled in front of them. Not surprising I guess.

OP
Altamar

Altamar

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 SL400
For many years I did a lot of long-distance driving (and I still do quite a fair bit) so my automatic habit is to fill my tank when refuelling.
Me too, which is why I was surprised to learn not everyone fills the tank every time. In fact, on the last two new cars where it was an option, I paid extra for the larger tank so that I had to fill up even less often.

Now that I do less mileage I guess the habit has just stuck!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I fill the tank on each and every one of mine.

The SLK I've filled up 147 times with a total of 7,054.65 ltrs, the average fill amount has been 48 ltrs (65 ltr tank size)

Noddy 99

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 W211 E-Class E280 Sport Estate (OM642 3-litre diesel V6), 3x remapped, now returned to stock
Wait till the low fuel light comes on and then fill to the cut-off. £100 typically. :(

Back in the days of cash, I always clicked on to a round number; no point now. I also used to fill to the very brim of the brim in tiny, careful increments, brassing off all the drivers waiting behind me in the queue. I've stopped that now.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Why is it so strange to use cash?
I use a mixture of cash and card, whatever suits me better at the time.

MARK.W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi 2008
Wait till the low fuel light comes on and then fill to the cut-off. £100 typically. :(

Back in the days of cash, I always clicked on to a round number; no point now. I also used to fill to the very brim of the brim in tiny, careful increments, brassing off all the drivers waiting behind me in the queue. I've stopped that now.
This is my method also. Got caught out last week tho. Work van has more fuel in than the Merc. Put this right tomorrow and Friday hopefully.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom