Birmingham Clean Air Zone - forcing to look at new car(s)

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Only minor problem being that they are horrid!(IMO) Very poor internal plastics- only good bits are the switchgear which is borrowed from the 212
You must have been in a very different car to me then, the 4 or 5 I have been in have been trimmed and finished very nicely.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
You must have been in a very different car to me then, the 4 or 5 I have been in have been trimmed and finished very nicely.
Regular (until last year) in taxis in Holland, very hard and austere plastics , not comfortable at at all.....

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I have always bought my cars with cash except one back in the 70's, but lease is now very attractive.
Reading you fathers requirements & finances, I think a lease electric car would be a very attractive proposition.

Severnless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI/2007/v6
We have an Mg ZS exclusive, had it since July last year put 5k miles on it, charge at home normally, we changed our leccy tarif in August last year and overall we are saving on our electric bill!
I’ve just had to go to Cheshire from the midlands this morning, started with 140 miles on the GOM (guess-o-meter!)
Total of 68 miles one way on the M5 and M6, ACC set at 65mph mg pilot set, very relaxing drive
When I finished with the surveying chap, popped into the co-op next to j17 M6, at the BP pulse rapid charger, took it from 50% to 90% in 35mins whilst I had a Greg’s and a coffee..... charge cost £3.40. Whilst the Greg’s, sausage roll, coffee and muffin came to £4.60!!
We brought our ev due to the deals that MG were pushing for NHS workers and the promised Birmingham emissions zone that was due to be implemented last year
To be honest we’ve not looked back, I would love to change my E class for a Leccy car as soon as I can afford it.
Yes they are expensive, but it’s a totally different mindset when actually living and driving with one......
Purchasing wise.....
Look at PCP over a couple of years to keep up with technology just change when at end of the term. There are some great deals around atm

Also I will add that the legend manufacturers are catching up with the likes of Tesla, you are spoiled for choice atm.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Regular (until last year) in taxis in Holland, very hard and austere plastics , not comfortable at at all.....
Wear well, durable and to my mind attractive. Are they as nice as an S-Class, no, but way nicer than many.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We have an Mg ZS exclusive, had it since July last year put 5k miles on it, charge at home normally, we changed our leccy tarif in August last year and overall we are saving on our electric bill!
I’ve just had to go to Cheshire from the midlands this morning, started with 140 miles on the GOM (guess-o-meter!)
Total of 68 miles one way on the M5 and M6, ACC set at 65mph mg pilot set, very relaxing drive
When I finished with the surveying chap, popped into the co-op next to j17 M6, at the BP pulse rapid charger, took it from 50% to 90% in 35mins whilst I had a Greg’s and a coffee..... charge cost £3.40. Whilst the Greg’s, sausage roll, coffee and muffin came to £4.60!!
We brought our ev due to the deals that MG were pushing for NHS workers and the promised Birmingham emissions zone that was due to be implemented last year
To be honest we’ve not looked back, I would love to change my E class for a Leccy car as soon as I can afford it.
Yes they are expensive, but it’s a totally different mindset when actually living and driving with one......
Purchasing wise.....
Look at PCP over a couple of years to keep up with technology just change when at end of the term. There are some great deals around atm

Also I will add that the legend manufacturers are catching up with the likes of Tesla, you are spoiled for choice atm.
MG is offering some good range / cost balance at the moment, and mental discounts too

Severnless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI/2007/v6
MG is offering some good range / cost balance at the moment, and mental discounts too
If you can get over the mental set of cheap Chineseium then you might be very surprised, we were looking at all the manufacturers that had Evs, started with test driving a Kona then on the off chance looked at the ZS, Mrs S wouldnt look at anything else as her mind was made up!
the MG5 has a very good reputation, also cheaper than the ZS! With a bigger battery range......
All I will say, is you need to try testdrive them and make your own mind up.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Interesting you find the range a guess-o-meter, mine is staggeringly accurate.

I did a 210 mile journey the other week in 5 broken up shorter journeys.

Started with a range of 242, ended with a range of 31m. I’m happy with that accuracy.

That was getting a bit twitchy bum for my liking, so had a 20 min rapid charge even though I could have made it home, went from about 14% to 55% I think it was, cost £3 ish.

That’s the most I’ve spent in fuel in one go this last 8 months....

Also, to factor in is if your company lets you charge at work - many are and it’s not taxed as Electricity is not considered as fuel for Benefit in Kind purposes. When I was in work (B.F. before furlough) I never had to charge at home, less than 50 min on the works 7kw charger had it back to 100%

Oh yeh, and there is nothing as nice as stepping out of 30deg heat into a pre-cooled car at 16deg where even the leather has cooled to the touch.... Or into a car at 24deg when it’s -5 outside and having done that pre-conditioning from the house / bed / office.....

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Biggest issue I have with the EV is that the cars are blooming ugly.

The Leaf for instance: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-Nis...304847?hash=item23ef84ac4f:g:5tsAAOSwhixgCuqB
Similar age, but better colour so possibly better looking https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-Nis...to-HATCHBACK-Electric-Automatic-/224175574011

Has the 110kw charge system as well. Still only a 40kw battery, but that would give 180m thereabouts - I’d want. A bit more than that really....

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Or?

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The other thing I didn’t ask which could be relevant is how often are these longer trips.

If weekly that’s my one thing, but if three or four times a year why not a shorter range EV for daily use, and hire an ICE car for the longer stuff? You can get a 3 day rental for £100 usually and in a Golf or similar.

Then you could save a lot more -

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Severnless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 CDI/2007/v6
Interesting you find the range a guess-o-meter, mine is staggeringly accurate.

I did a 210 mile journey the other week in 5 broken up shorter journeys.

Started with a range of 242, ended with a range of 31m. I’m happy with that accuracy.

That was getting a bit twitchy bum for my liking, so had a 20 min rapid charge even though I could have made it home, went from about 14% to 55% I think it was, cost £3 ish.

That’s the most I’ve spent in fuel in one go this last 8 months....

Also, to factor in is if your company lets you charge at work - many are and it’s not taxed as Electricity is not considered as fuel for Benefit in Kind purposes. When I was in work (B.F. before furlough) I never had to charge at home, less than 50 min on the works 7kw charger had it back to 100%

Oh yeh, and there is nothing as nice as stepping out of 30deg heat into a pre-cooled car at 16deg where even the leather has cooled to the touch.... Or into a car at 24deg when it’s -5 outside and having done that pre-conditioning from the house / bed / office..... has
Yes the Gom is reading low atm we did see 170 during the summer, but as low as 130 during the freezing weather.
Totally agree with the pre conditioning, but the MG doesn’t have an app for the car unfortunately, so just nip out 5mins before we set off and put the heating or aircon on, heated seats etc.

To be honest, as someone who’s a total petrol head and had a toy car (caterham seven, vx220 tubby) and loves the sound of a nice v8, you couldn’t pay me enough to have another ice car, ( even an AMG) nothing intrests me anymore, I absolutely love the idea of an ev, lack of servicing, moving parts, it’s just makes sense for me now..
The links you’ve put to the leafs, I have been keeping an eye on the prices of leaf e+, newer the better, Chorley group have some pre reg n-tecs Atm, very tempted!!

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom