Blocked oil filter

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 1994 E200 (M111 engine), S123 1983 230TE (M102)
After throwing all the various flushes in, have you checked the oil pickup strainer?

IMO, flushes are always risky on older higher mile engines.
I will check ask my mechanic to check this. I guess the oil pickup strainer is visible once the oil pan has been removed. I've misplaced my manual...

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Worn rings will not in my view effect oil press. Previous owner not changing or using cheap shxte oil might. When I build diesels I mix half oil half diesel for initial 3 min run. Then I interview oil filter for debris, none seen drop oil diesel mix. Refill, new oil filter. Worked without issue 35 yrs. Worn rings will add combustion gas deris to ur oil and prematurely pollute ur oil filter. But wud hav to be pretty grim to block ur oil filter in 700 miles
Do not run ur motor without ur oil filter. U cud also check if ur by pass valve spring is weak, tho I doubt it if not previously tampered with.
I wasnt saying that worn rings would cause a loss of oil pressure, rather that the loss of the oil if being burnt via the rings, which amounts to around a quarter of its oil capacity, is causing the oil pressure loss fault "after 700kms" of driving, because it doesnt have enough oil to drive around the system.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I wasnt saying that worn rings would cause a loss of oil pressure, rather that the loss of the oil if being burnt via the rings, which amounts to around a quarter of its oil capacity, is causing the oil pressure loss fault "after 700kms" of driving, because it doesnt have enough oil to drive around the system.
Wasn't contradictin u just writin to op.
But if oil loss is enough that pick up is out of oil even momentarily that could cause oil p to drop..esp on hard driven corners or steep inclines, tho I wud think makers hav that well covered in design. on old cars you might see oil p guage fluctuating . Givin indication of issue ref any starvation . Either op motor is using excessive oil (guides/rings) or no one checks, another poss is if pick up pipe has shot o ring at block side maybe pump suckin air at times, I only see that once . These days oil light commin on at 0.7 b is just tellin u to turn off before somat leaves home! n call relay they are blxxdy useless.
I have never researched it but I think normally pick up pipe wud be + 2 lt inside oil after pump has filled gallery for precisely this reason.

OP
S

ShivaYash

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S124 1994 E200 (M111 engine), S123 1983 230TE (M102)
Fair comment, I'll monitor.

My conclusion is this: having completed three engine flushes now, mainly to reduce lifter noise, I have noted the following.
After the last oil change around 1100km ago, the new oil seemed dirty. After 50km I was surprised that it wasn't golden coloured. The oil filter I removed on Friday was caked in sludge.
I've done around 100km since Friday and the oil still looks clean and golden. I think the old oil was contaminated from the start, perhaps post flush.
For the moment, the old girl continues to run well.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom