Blue smoke from exhausts on tick over

Hughesey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls 320 CDI
Recently whilst caught in a traffic jam I noticed a worrying amount of blue smoke issuing from the exhausts, it doesn't happen not that I've noticed whilst driving at normal road speeds, the car was stationary for approx 30mins but disappeared when returned to normal driving. Leaking injector???

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Blue is normally oil and leaking valve stem oil seals used to be the culprit

OP
Hughesey

Hughesey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls 320 CDI
Thanks for the replies, would the fact that the car isn't losing any power and is still responsive have a bearing on any remedy?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
It's a diesel so unlikely to be valve stem seals. Petrol engines are far more susceptible due to manifold vacuum drawing the oil down.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Little too much oil?
Turbo seals on the way out ( but then you’ll notice a power drop and responsiveness)?
Edit: forgot to mention quality of the oil itself- changed recently or not?

OP
Hughesey

Hughesey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls 320 CDI
Little too much oil?
Turbo seals on the way out ( but then you’ll notice a power drop and responsiveness)?
Edit: forgot to mention quality of the oil itself- changed recently or not?
That's a good point John as the service history is a bit wooly after 2016, having said that, the info in the car says 15500 miles before service E.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
How many miles on it? It might be worth checking the pcv valve on the back of the offside cylinder head for blockage. I have found that OM642 are prone to dripping fuel injectors. The smoke builds up at idle, and it stinks. It has a tinge of blue to it in my experience, possibly because it starts to wash the bores. It will quickly disappear after a few hundred yards of driving. Any decent Indy can pull the injectors and get them tested. Any dripping is immediately obvious under test. I'd certainly do this before considering replacing the turbo or any big tear down work.

OP
Hughesey

Hughesey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls 320 CDI
How many miles on it? It might be worth checking the pcv valve on the back of the offside cylinder head for blockage. I have found that OM642 are prone to dripping fuel injectors. The smoke builds up at idle, and it stinks. It has a tinge of blue to it in my experience, possibly because it starts to wash the bores. It will quickly disappear after a few hundred yards of driving. Any decent Indy can pull the injectors and get them tested. Any dripping is immediately obvious under test. I'd certainly do this before considering replacing the turbo or any big tear down work.
Mileage has just turned 99,000

OP
Hughesey

Hughesey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cls 320 CDI
Morning guys, an update on the engine issue, all the injectors passed but there's oil in the turbo lines, thoughts???

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Morning guys, an update on the engine issue, all the injectors passed but there's oil in the turbo lines, thoughts???

If you mean the air pipes, then that's normal, to a degree. If its swimming in it, then its not normal.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
how does b/fluid get into the engine? only way i can imagine this is thru servo vacuum line and then only as far as vac pump ?

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom