Bought second hand car: Engine misfires after signing contract -.-

Trumple

Reaction score
So as you may have seen in an earlier post, my dad was deciding if he should buy this '02 C180 mercedes for £6500. After many hours of thought and research, we decided to buy the car.
As soon as we fired up the car after handing over the cheque and signing everything, the engine started to shake the car, and the revs only reached 40,000 at flat out. The orange engine diagnostics light stayed lit during the drive, and so there must be a cylinder not firing due to the fuel injectors (or possibly something else...)
We drove back to the seller and told them, and they agreed that they would not cash the cheque untill we had sorted the problem or we could go back and return the car (which was nice of them)

Anyway, what could it be? How much do you think it would cost to fix roughly? :(
Thanks alot for any help!

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
I would be stopping the cheque at my bank first thing.

124coupe

Reaction score
Have your money back, let them have the hassle to fix it.

Its not "nice of them" - they simply can't sell you a car with serious faults not disclosed before sale.

rpe2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
As above, sounds a lot of money for an '02 car on the face of it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Cancel the whole thing, its the best way out

OP
T

Trumple

Reaction score
No I did take the advice...my dad didn't...i'm only 15 and so he dosnt belive in a magical world where I get to speak to experts i.e here :p
Anyway thanks for the help

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
well get him on here and let him read the comments ..take it back, cancel the cheque

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
To be fair, if it's a private sale, it is nice of them. They could say bugger off, it's yours now. Private cars are bought as seen. If I'm wrong and its a dealer then they have a legal obligation to sort it.
Anyway, I'd cancel the cheque (they've given you permission and won't know unless they're dishonest) and get it checked out. If they are dishonest, its probably be rushed through already!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom