Brake fluid specification?

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Getting worked up to change the brake fluid and thought I knew what I needed but after a few hours of research I'm now confused (even more than normal?????).
What's the correct spec for brake fluid for a 2004 W203 c180k? 331.0 or 331.1 and does this relate to DOT4 PLUS and DOT4.
I was looking at some Febi fluid on ebay but their checker only shows DOT4 as suitable for my car.
If I do a complete change does it really matter?
Anyone?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
DOT4 for your car is fine and as you say you’re going to change it out there’s no issue anyway(not that it’d matter if it mixed with some DOT4+)the + just has a slightly higher boiling point just in case you wanted to race :rolleyes:

OP
Oldspanners

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Thanks for that my brain was beginning to overheat. I'll just wait for a little better weather and get the old spanners out again.
DOT4 for your car is fine and as you say you’re going to change it out there’s no issue anyway(not that it’d matter if it mixed with some DOT4+)the + just has a slightly higher boiling point just in case you wanted to race :rolleyes:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Thanks for that my brain was beginning to overheat. I'll just wait for a little better weather and get the old spanners out again.
Happens to me constantly! I get so indecisive I can’t make my mind up!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I wanted some for my bike the other day.... manual gives NO details on spec just says dot 4

then found magically the world moved and dot 4 now comes in 3 varieties

dot 4, conventional stuff
Super dot 4, seemed much thinner
dot 4 LV,

Castrol spec sheets suggest super dot 4 and dot 4 is all backwards compatible and all meets the same spec
The main dealer parts dept I was discussing with suggested, LV stands for low viscosity fluid, designed to help ABS and ESP work better in cold temps and in his experience timeline he thinks is

dot 4 up to 2007
super dot 4 between 2008 to 2012
dot 4 LV 2013 onwards

the difference between dot 4 and super, seemed dramatic (runny p1ss) so having an ESP type pump on the bike's ABS thought I'd give it a go. Feel at lever seems the same but in cold temps ABS still seems lethargic... almost wonder if should have tried the LV. Then at cheap motor factor last weekend, spotted on the shelf he had a Comma Brand of dot 4 called dot 4 ESP

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Normally says the brake fluid spec on the reservoir cap

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
I wanted some for my bike the other day.... manual gives NO details on spec just says dot 4

then found magically the world moved and dot 4 now comes in 3 varieties

dot 4, conventional stuff
Super dot 4, seemed much thinner
dot 4 LV,

Castrol spec sheets suggest super dot 4 and dot 4 is all backwards compatible and all meets the same spec
The main dealer parts dept I was discussing with suggested, LV stands for low viscosity fluid, designed to help ABS and ESP work better in cold temps and in his experience timeline he thinks is

dot 4 up to 2007
super dot 4 between 2008 to 2012
dot 4 LV 2013 onwards

the difference between dot 4 and super, seemed dramatic (runny p1ss) so having an ESP type pump on the bike's ABS thought I'd give it a go. Feel at lever seems the same but in cold temps ABS still seems lethargic... almost wonder if should have tried the LV. Then at cheap motor factor last weekend, spotted on the shelf he had a Comma Brand of dot 4 called dot 4 ESP

Not heard of the LV stuff, I had heard of the DOT 4+ and decided I didn't have use for it.
My bike has the electric assisted ABS, works well when working, a real life saver, but has known issues with the pump unit. My thoughts are blocked jets which then disable the ABS and also reduces brake assistance??
This lower viscosity is worth a shot, thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
better still.... just came up by accident looking at parts for aux lights.... I can code in the ASC on the bike... its a genuine retrofit option and I even have the spare switch gear with the extra ASC button that you need... I got when I bought the aux light switch off ebay.... only shame is I don't want it and it doesn't need it.... But fun knowing I can get toys on the bike never knew they did

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom