Buying an SL in UK

OP
J

jackpe

Reaction score
Really appreciate all the advice and help so far!:D

I have another couple of questions
1. do the updates made to the chassis in 86 make much difference to the way the car rides and feels? were they mainly to improve handling? ride? or both?

2. Is there general agreemnt then that there is no point going for a 280 when the 380 and 420 are no thirstier? becasue if this is the case I might edge towards on of these last two models...

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It is a power to weight ratio thing, the larger engine puls the car so much easier, if you were to drive the larger engine at the same acceleration etc of the smaller one it would equal the smaller engined version., but then you have the power to have some fun if you wish to

OP
J

jackpe

Reaction score
It is a power to weight ratio thing, the larger engine puls the car so much easier, if you were to drive the larger engine at the same acceleration etc of the smaller one it would equal the smaller engined version., but then you have the power to have some fun if you wish to

Ok, what about a 300, is that much better than the 280?

stickandrudder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
lots
As I alluded to in my earlier posts, you should buy the one with the least rust!
280,300,380,420 and 500 are (were) all good cars. Notice I've left out 350 &450, mainly because they're all so old now that it's very difficult to find a nice one, the interiors are pretty dated, and they (mostly) have the early injection system with it's expensive maintenace potential. (up to 1978)
Post 86 cars have a completely different suspension set up on the front which is derived from the 124 model. This gives a different, firmer quality to the handling, but you're not going to be doing track days in it are you?

OP
J

jackpe

Reaction score
As I alluded to in my earlier posts, you should buy the one with the least rust!
280,300,380,420 and 500 are (were) all good cars. Notice I've left out 350 &450, mainly because they're all so old now that it's very difficult to find a nice one, the interiors are pretty dated, and they (mostly) have the early injection system with it's expensive maintenace potential. (up to 1978)
Post 86 cars have a completely different suspension set up on the front which is derived from the 124 model. This gives a different, firmer quality to the handling, but you're not going to be doing track days in it are you?

No, no track days but if the car rode and handled significantly better it might also help sway me towards the later cars. I just hate the later flat alloys and apparently they are not possible to swap for earlier wheels without lots of changes. But my main priority is ride.

Is the rear plastic spoiler easy to remove?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A heat gun will usually get the spoiler off

OP
J

jackpe

Reaction score
Thanks! So it's just glued on?

Am seeing a 280 tomorrow, 1979 car, that has had major work done to body.. spoke to Roger Edwards about the car and although sound not sure on the quality of previous work, sounds like it looks good but might not have been carried out in the most sympathetic manner..

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Double sided tape is the norm

stickandrudder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
lots
The boot lid is drilled and the spoiler held on by studs/nuts. You'll have to have the holes welded and the boot lid repainted if you want to lose the spoiler.
Spoilers were only fitted as standard to the 500 and they use different boot lid springs to compensate for the extra weight.
Lots of cars were retro-fitted with spoilers but most didn't have the springs changed at the same time as it's a nasty job.
You can tell if the wrong springs are fitted 'cause the boot lid doesn't lift properly.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
You can tell if the wrong springs are fitted 'cause the boot lid doesn't lift properly.

I am constantly reminded,each time it falls shut on my head:(

Regards,
Nick.

OP
J

jackpe

Reaction score
Quick update guys, just seen two cars and like the Porches I was looking at previously it seems hard to find an honest seller. One car had a clearly blowing sill and other rust issues.. and a brand new MOT, i'm sure the seller knew it had issues but mentioned nothing on the phone despite specific questions. The next car had had extensive work carried out very badly and a respray, not bare metal..god knows what was under there and rode quite badly, felt like a dog. The third car was low mileage and looked god.. till I lifted the carpets and saw water.. looking through the bills reveled recent work to the bulkhead "making good the corrosion and covering with fibreglass", classic bodge?
What do you guys make of this? http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1521062.htm forget the wheels, they can be replaced.. but do any of you know of this car? and is anyone local enough to come and view it with me? I believe it is being sold at acution in Westmister.

Last edited:

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
It looks in beautiful nick. However its a non original car --wheels-engine and possibly lots else which is never a good thing in a "classic car" imho. :(The sales blurb states the owner spent £20,000 on a full refurb 18 months ago and the estimated auction price is £8,000 to £12,000--- so either the £20k was figment of imagination or it will fetch a LOT more than the estimated asking price.:confused:

OP
J

jackpe

Reaction score
It looks in beautiful nick. However its a non original car --wheels-engine and possibly lots else which is never a good thing in a "classic car" imho. :(The sales blurb states the owner spent £20,000 on a full refurb 18 months ago and the estimated auction price is £8,000 to £12,000--- so either the £20k was figment of imagination or it will fetch a LOT more than the estimated asking price.:confused:
yes well blurb is one thing, reality another.. plus as you say it is very non original..
The second car I ention above has also supposidely had 20K spent on it. It was still crap.

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
wait don't rush into sometihng you will regret...keep looking and viewing and you will find that original maintained example, dont settle for less!

You never know a forum member may be looking to sell so maybe worth posting an add in the sales forum!

OP
J

jackpe

Reaction score
Seeing car Saturday

Chaps,

Am seeing this one Saturday, after lengthy chat with owner i think it sounds like it could be a good, original car. Any thoughts?

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/88908

It will need a new hood as the current one is usable but fraying at the bottom. I have heard they are about £700 for decent one, does that sound right?

Also £10K sounds a little expensive, what do you guys think?

What do you think of the 3.8 litre engine? I really wanted one of the 8 cylinder cars as been on a few 280's and not too impressed. Have heard the 380 is a bit limp though..? I'm not too bothered on speed, just want a nice effortless car but hate spolier on 500s.

ncooper

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1984 Mercedes Benz 280 SL,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Manual,1993 Mercedes Benz 190E Auto
Chaps,

Am seeing this one Saturday, after lengthy chat with owner i think it sounds like it could be a good, original car. Any thoughts?

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/88908

It will need a new hood as the current one is usable but fraying at the bottom. I have heard they are about £700 for decent one, does that sound right?

Also £10K sounds a little expensive, what do you guys think?

What do you think of the 3.8 litre engine? I really wanted one of the 8 cylinder cars as been on a few 280's and not too impressed. Have heard the 380 is a bit limp though..? I'm not too bothered on speed, just want a nice effortless car but hate spolier on 500s.

It looks immaculate and if it is as good as it looks,well worth £10000.
A dealer would want £15000 at 65000 miles.
Slightly confused about your remark about 8 cylinders???
The 380 is a V8,you can see it in the photograph.
Also 218 bhp is hardly "limp"

Regards,
Nick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom