C180 Elegance Auto M reg. throttle probs

BillDavies

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here. Really like the forums.

I have a problem with our C180. Over a year ago we began to notice a slight tapping/ticking sound that seemed to come from the engine once started up. At the same time we began to get problems with the car feeling as though it was going to stall. This was quite minor to begin with and we mentioned it when it was serviced but to no avail. It then began to get worse and when you tried to put the throttle down it took 5 seconds or so for any power to feed through and then it would roar off.

It was worse when idling and stopped at junctions etc. but it got so bad that that even at transmission it would take a couple of pumps on the throttle to make sure the engine caught. It's now just bad the whole time.

I can only descibe it as though it's going to stall and that fuel isn't getting through, or at least intermittently.

We just want shot of it now but need to know the problem first. Our mechanic first changed the gasket and cleaned everything up as he said there was a lot of oil in it. That worked for about a fortnight. He then said it was a throttle issue.

Can anyone help identify this for me? All replies received gratefully.

Many thanks.

BD

Last edited:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
throttle body on your car is prone to failure. ticking is a mystery, or possibly the purge valve. fault codes neede for further wisdom please.

OP
B

BillDavies

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. To clarify - when I said Transmission I betrayed my complete lack of knowledge about cars (I just know ours is old and I'm getting bored of these problems). When I said Transmission I meant Ignition/turning over.

I also don't know much about codes and sensors so further direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the link Television that was really helpful.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom